Need recommendations on a cable solution

Enjoy!
Malon
Global Moderator

Need recommendations on a cable solution

Unread postby Malon Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi all,

I work from home, and have both my personal PC and my work laptop connected to the same display, via two different connections: HDMI and VGA (the only video port on the laptop). I have a single keyboard, mouse, ethernet cable and speaker, which I manually disconnect and re-connect to each PC as needed.

My cables are starting to show signs of wear from the constant un-/replugging, and it's also a pain to have to muck around with cables every time I want to switch PCs, so I want to invest in a single-cable solution. I'm unsure of the best way to do this, though: a USB hub or a KVM switch.

A USB hub appears to be a cheaper option, but I can't find any at a reasonable price supporting USB, RJ45 and audio ports. My other choice is a KVM switch, which could be constantly connected to both PCs. Again, though, I'm struggling to find any that support all the ports that I need at any sort of decent price.

I probably don't need video on the hub/switch; as I mentioned, my laptop uses VGA and PC uses HDMI, so I just keep them both connected to the monitor at all times. I assume that a KVM switch can still function without the video port attached?

Comments and suggestions very welcome, I'm lost at sea here.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers.
Author of Wowhead's official Mage guide: http://www.wowhead.com/classes#mage
Follow me for Mage tips and tricks at @ArcaneTactics (https://twitter.com/ArcaneTactics" target="_blank)
Chev
Global Moderator

Re: Need recommendations on a cable solution

Unread postby Chev Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:38 am

I used to have the same situation. What I did was install VNC server on the work laptop and viewer on my home PC and then connect from there. That was a free solution but it does mean running both machines at the same time.

Return to “Off Topic”