Arcane Mage Critique

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Babsy

Arcane Mage Critique

Unread postby Babsy Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:51 am

Hello, unfortunately my server is messed up so I can't link you my armory. however I do have a combat log. I was hoping to get a review of my play and such. I am reading people getting with 300 DPS of their sims and I am almost never meeting my Simulations. I feel quite bad having never met my simulation. I also have a decent idea about what I need to improve (lower my barrage overall damage and increase my ABlast damage by cating Ablast when over 93% mana more often, I miss some casts)

however I am still here looking for help, please feel free to tear into the log ( I encourage it). the actor you are looking at is Babsy, not Lilliana.

Side Question: How many of you are able to meet your Sim'd DPS on a regular basis?

here's the log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l2d2zfl7p859jw0m/" target="_blank

Edit: I've been enlightened to Warcraft Logs instead of WOL. so here's the Warcraft Log as well
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/M9 ... ry&boss=-2" target="_blank
Berlinia

Re: Arcane Mage Critique

Unread postby Berlinia Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:58 pm

I meet my SImcraft values as Frost all the time.
I absolutely never meet them as fire :P
Babsy

Unread postby Babsy Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:54 pm

I meet my SImcraft values as Frost all the time.
I absolutely never meet them as fire :P
I feel like this could be part of it too. it could very well be an arcane thing where movement is the bane of your existance. maybe I'll try simming frost and seeing what kind of numbers I push.
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:20 pm

I regularly do my sim DPS as Frost. No clue about fire and arcane. Haven't simmed either of them for my character.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
Soggs
Global Moderator

Unread postby Soggs Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Without advanced combat logging it is really hard to look into Arcane, since without it WoW does not record your mana in the combat log and without a mana timeline its difficult to tell if your mana spending is ok. I cannot see any other obvious mistakes by skimming through the log, so I assume the problem is somewhere in there. You mentioned that you are not happy with it, but I cannot give accurate pointers without a proper log.

A two things that could be improved were you could see some impact on your DPS:
- You should save your second Pot for BL and also time your AP around it.
- AP glyph usually is more beneficial since Pot is 25s and BL is 40s so it generally has better paired uptime with huge buffs.
Shoot me a pm if you want me to elaborate on my crazy thoughts. I sometimes lose track of what I actually meant to say.

"The game isn't as simple as you."

Currently caught up in a game called Real Life. Activity may suffer from this.
Babsy

Unread postby Babsy Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Without advanced combat logging it is really hard to look into Arcane, since without it WoW does not record your mana in the combat log and without a mana timeline its difficult to tell if your mana spending is ok. I cannot see any other obvious mistakes by skimming through the log, so I assume the problem is somewhere in there. You mentioned that you are not happy with it, but I cannot give accurate pointers without a proper log.

A two things that could be improved were you could see some impact on your DPS:
- You should save your second Pot for BL and also time your AP around it.
- AP glyph usually is more beneficial since Pot is 25s and BL is 40s so it generally has better paired uptime with huge buffs.
I was using it unglyphed because of the prismatic crystal and Evo lining up so well.. I will definitely try to glyph it all the time though as you make a lot of sense. also, thanks for taking the time to look at the log. I will be running advanced combatlog from now on. pretty new to producing them.

Edit: also, from simming myself with different talents I am going to be running AO with Nether Tempest. I do have a question with regards to that. if your NT is about to fall of and you have less than 4 stacks of A.Charge should I reapply NT or wait til 4 stacks?
Babsy

Unread postby Babsy Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:26 am

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PD ... iew=replay" target="_blank

this is just an LFR, however I definitely think it's my mana management. I noticed a few times mid global that I had just casted ABarr at 96% mana. This is with the Enhanced Combat logging. also, this was my first time using AO, I can't say I particularily like it however it may again be an unfamiliarity thing. I did more DPS however between last night and tonight I got my Mythic HM cache that got me a HWF Robe of Necrotic Whispers and my PvP weapon MH. two very large upgrades that didn't translate into a big damage upgrade.

I'm tired of not pulling the numbers I should be, but I think my problem lies in not doing my Ablasts properly and not managing mana. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Edit: More DPS as in Relative to my upgrades.
Soggs
Global Moderator

Unread postby Soggs Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:57 am

Total conserve is no longer a thing. Arcane Mage is back to Burn-Conserve cycles. You best read up about that here. Basically the whole part about Base Rotation.

That should be the major issue with your DPS.
Shoot me a pm if you want me to elaborate on my crazy thoughts. I sometimes lose track of what I actually meant to say.

Babsy

Unread postby Babsy Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:13 am

Oh I have read berlinia's guide front to back. it's the execution that gets me.
Edit: multiple times
Babsy

Unread postby Babsy Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:56 am

MORE LOGS YAY

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TL ... n&fight=22" target="_blank did normal and heroic tonight. now 5/7 Heroic and had a stellar pull on Normal butcher and Kargath.
Soggs
Global Moderator

Unread postby Soggs Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:46 am

To put it in very simple words: Do not use Arcane Barrage if Evocation is off cooldown. Use Evocation once you reach 50% mana. If Evocation is on cooldown do like you do now.

Babsy

Unread postby Babsy Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:26 pm

To put it in very simple words: Do not use Arcane Barrage if Evocation is off cooldown. Use Evocation once you reach 50% mana. If Evocation is on cooldown do like you do now.
I never thought of it this way... this could help a ton. Thank you for the simple yet helpful advice.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”