Nochanneling macros?

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Jeyo

Nochanneling macros?

Unread postby Jeyo Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Do you guys use them for arcane to prevent clipping missiles? I keep going back and forth on this: on the one hand my latency is low enough where the DPS loss due to the nochanneling macro is tiny. But, in theory, it's better not to use it, of course, if you can time your casts right.
Chev
Global Moderator

Re: Nochanneling macros?

Unread postby Chev Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:43 pm

I do, but that is because I am a button masher and my latency can support it.
Digerati

Unread postby Digerati Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:04 pm

I'm a supporter, but you do need low latency to take full advantage. Asian mages abused this pretty well the last couple of xpacs with sub 10ms. With server changes, anyone raiding in Aus now should have the latency for it too.
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:13 am

Doesn't matter how good your latency is, macros are server side (or words to that effect) so you always have some sort of delay when using it
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Not a fan of nochanneling macros, simply because you can't do the AM spellqueueing trick with them. Not clipping missiles isn't an issue after a bit of practice.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
BigRedJedi

Unread postby BigRedJedi Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:08 pm

I feel like I've been missing out, but I'll ask on behalf of myself and everyone else that might read here and doesn't know (even if I'm the only one :geek: ), but what do you mean by the AM spellqueueing trick? Is it simply using an addon to track your input lag on your castbar and pushing them as close together as possible (thereby avoiding the slight delay that a [nochanneling] macro causes)?
"Sometimes, the only defense against violent, evil people is good people who are more skilled at violence..."

-Rory Miller
Vatti

Unread postby Vatti Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:02 pm

fits my moderate apm play style to use them as I find pressing buttons constantly more fun than waiting for the last tick and waiting for my human latency to be slower than my server-side latency.
perchon

Unread postby perchon Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Not a fan of nochanneling macros, simply because you can't do the AM spellqueueing trick with them. Not clipping missiles isn't an issue after a bit of practice.
what is the AM spellqueueing trick??
Tatrik

Unread postby Tatrik Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Could you share your marcos?
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:08 pm

/cast [nochanneling] <spell name here>

E.g. /cast [nochanneling] Arcane Blast
calil

Unread postby calil Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:46 pm

I do realize that using nochanneling spells makes you loose few milliseconds.
But not sure if those saved milliseconds in dps will surpass the dps loss if you use you clip 1 or 2 AM missiles.
What do you guys think about this?

it is worth or not worth those nochanneling macros?
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:54 pm

I do realize that using nochanneling spells makes you loose few milliseconds.
But not sure if those saved milliseconds in dps will surpass the dps loss if you use you clip 1 or 2 AM missiles.
What do you guys think about this?

it is worth or not worth those nochanneling macros?
This is more of a question of personal skill. If you are not able to control your button smashing to prevent clipping your casts, then using the Macro is the way to go. If you can control your button spamming, then not using the macro will be the way to go, especially if you have a higher latency as this will allow you to queue your spells more.
willemh

Unread postby willemh Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:22 pm

I have between 17 and 20ms to my server. I really wonder whats better. I'm nearly sure even with prefect execution you're going to be waiting more then that to queue your next spell, or you'll clip a few spell here and there.

What do you guys think for someone in my situation with very low MS of <20ms at all times.
Jeyo

Unread postby Jeyo Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 pm

I have between 17 and 20ms to my server. I really wonder whats better. I'm nearly sure even with prefect execution you're going to be waiting more then that to queue your next spell, or you'll clip a few spell here and there.

What do you guys think for someone in my situation with very low MS of <20ms at all times.
It really comes down to this tradeoff - your own personal reaction time lag vs. your connection and button mashing lag (keep in mind you must add whatever time it takes you to again press the button when AM finally finishes channeling, so it's really that lag AND your latency). I have tried both ways and I've settled on no macros (in spite of <25ms latency).
Jimmy

Unread postby Jimmy Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:52 pm

Since the server I play on is pretty much next to my apartment and I play with <9ms, I've decided to go back to using nochanneling macros. Especially because of the arcane 4pc and I don't want to clip any of my extra missiles.

Since I do want to clip my evocate ASAP once I'm back up to target mana, but I don't want to clip my missiles, these are the macros I use:

Code: Select all

#show Arcane Barrage /cast [nochanneling:Arcane Missiles] Arcane Barrage

#show Arcane Blast /cast [nochanneling:Arcane Missiles] Arcane Blast

#show Arcane Missiles /cast [nochanneling:Arcane Missiles] Arcane Missiles

#show Evocation /cast [nochanneling:Arcane Missiles] Evocation
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Ahh, I didn't know you could specify the channel. I have always taken a step forward to clip my Evo channel.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:44 pm

I had no idea you could specify the spell either. That's useful information to know - thanks.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Vuhdo

Unread postby Vuhdo Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Speaking about AM clipping, is there an easy way to check my (WCL) logs for clipping?
So far I was using this method: open Casts tab, Events view and look through all my events counting number of consecutive AM casts. Not very convinient.
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Speaking about AM clipping, is there an easy way to check my (WCL) logs for clipping?
So far I was using this method: open Casts tab, Events view and look through all my events counting number of consecutive AM casts. Not very convinient.
Look at casts tab. Divide by 5. Look at the buffs tab to see how many times you got the AM buff. The two should match up. If they don't then either you are munching procs or clipping your channel. If you have the 4 set, you will need to take that into account as well.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”