Another Arcane Mage asking for help.

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Lionheart

Another Arcane Mage asking for help.

Unread postby Lionheart Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:26 am

Hi guys, I want to show you some of my logs, I'd love your feedback. Atm I'm a trial and I really need to improve.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... a/advanced" target="_blank
This weeks logs: First part: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LdPjZXMtwn8hrRaH" target="_blank
Second part (warcraft crashed): http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/haKvTgG9mBzb4PdQ" target="_blank

OBS/Questions:

1- I've read a lot of guides and already working on mage bomb uptime and how to minimize movement to avoid casting RoP more than necessary.

2- I know the dps is really low on Thok, that was just my second time killing the boss. I can cast one spell between screechs when he's at max haste, next week I'll try to squeeze AEs after the cast to see if the dps improves. My biggest problem on this boss, though, is that I can't reach the bats because we're solo tanking, the tank take the adds and I can't go there to use AE (I even used glyph of AE and still couldn't reach the adds). Is that really wierd? I was on the group closer to the tank too. o.0

3- I don't use that cleave trinket by choice, I don't have either KTT or BBoY, bad luck streak. Do you think HC KTT will have a big impact on my dps?

Thanks a lot in advance, love this forum!
Komma
Administrator

Re: Another Arcane Mage asking for help.

Unread postby Komma Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:32 am

Logs look solid overall. RoP and LB uptime (on dark shamans, in particular!) can be slightly improved, but it looks like you know what you need to do already.

On Thok, You can't hit the bats with AE/CoC if the tank is solo tanking and you're not moving closer - that's just a fact of life. Moving closer has obvious risks (getting clipped by breath, OOR of healing circles, blah blah blah) so you'll have to work it out with your raid in terms priorities and what they want you to do.

The peak frequency on Thok's screeches is once every 2.2 seconds. Sometimes he delays it a little cause of breaths. With your haste, you should be able to do something like "Screech -> AB/AM -> 1 instant during a screech -> Another AB/AM -> Screech" as a regular rotation. Frost armor can also make things easier if you're having issues. Unfortunately, you're just short on haste for doing 2 casts in between screeches with bloodlust/meta.

HC KTT will be absolutely gigantic. Even the Shado-pan trinket is superior to FCoR for boss fights.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Lionheart

Unread postby Lionheart Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:38 am

Thanks for the answer! It was really helpful. I'll try to improve and maybe post more logs after this weeks raid.
Lionheart

Unread postby Lionheart Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:43 am

This weeks logs : http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mhG ... ne&boss=-2" target="_blank
Dark Shaman's logs: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hcW ... amage-done" target="_blank

Well, in comparison to last weeks logs it's definitely an improvement, but I feel there's so much to learn still.

I have a question about living bomb, btw, I was looking on methods logs and, for eg, on IJ, Blatty casted living bomb 20 times and got 94.69% uptime on his LB, as you can see here:
http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mFJ ... &source=22" target="_blank

On the same fight I casted Living Bomb 23 times and got only 80.33% uptime. I knew I was going to have a lower uptime on living bomb because my guild afks on phase 2, but it seems I'm casting it more than necessary, so, what I usually do is to refresh the bomb when I have a trinket or metagem proc, is this wrong? Should I be letting the bomb explodes and recast on the last second?
Cycobi
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Cycobi Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:01 pm

I have a question about living bomb, btw, I was looking on methods logs and, for eg, on IJ, Blatty casted living bomb 20 times and got 94.69% uptime on his LB, as you can see here:
http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mFJ ... &source=22" target="_blank

On the same fight I casted Living Bomb 23 times and got only 80.33% uptime. I knew I was going to have a lower uptime on living bomb because my guild afks on phase 2, but it seems I'm casting it more than necessary, so, what I usually do is to refresh the bomb when I have a trinket or metagem proc, is this wrong? Should I be letting the bomb explodes and recast on the last second?
Realistically speaking you should only really look to snapshot your LB if there's nothing better to do with the GCD.

It's a common misconception with ALL DoT-based or strong-DoT classes, with the exception of Affliction multi-dotting because of Soul Swap.

Generally speaking, while your bomb IS your highest DPET spell, if it's already on the target you LOSE DPET by re-casting, regardless of whether it's a stronger DoT or not. You're better off continuing with your regular rotation until you reset Charges back to 0 or your bomb is just about to fall off to refresh, rather than refreshing early just for the snapshot.
Lionheart

Unread postby Lionheart Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Alright, that's really a surprise to me because almost every guide I've read so far says we need to snapshot to win, haha. Anyway, thanks for clarifying that, I'm gonna do that next week and see how it goes.
Cycobi
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Cycobi Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Alright, that's really a surprise to me because almost every guide I've read so far says we need to snapshot to win, haha. Anyway, thanks for clarifying that, I'm gonna do that next week and see how it goes.
You do need to snapshot to win, but timing snapshotting so that you don't lose GCDs is how you win harder ^_^
Lionheart

Unread postby Lionheart Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:08 am

Another two quick questions:

1- Edited, found the answer. :D

2- I got the tier leggings last week but still missing the last part, do you guys think it's worth it to use the normal tier shoulder to have 4pc bônus? I'd lose like 1,2k mastery :(

Once again, thanks for the help guys.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”