Lackluster Single Target DPS

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Rekinit

Lackluster Single Target DPS

Unread postby Rekinit Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Mod Edit: Moved to Q&A

So I play Arcane and Frost. Arcane is my main, but I've consistently been beating my single target DPS with my frost spec even though I've geared and enchanted for Arcane. I have about 49.42% Mastery or something at this point. Any thoughts on what my problem might be?

Also, I don't seem to be seeing any increases in dps during my burn phase. I pop PC and AP after 4 stacks, fire off SNs, then alternate ABs and AMs, but it doesn't seem to push my dps up much. I was averaging around 23-24k dps unbuffed on Arcane and around 24.75-25k dps unbuffed as Frost. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's really confusing me.
Velerion

Re: Lackluster Single Target DPS

Unread postby Velerion Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:01 pm

Without all the HFC stuff (tier bonuses, class trinket and prophecy of fear) frost will in many instances beat out arcane even on single target.
Rekinit

Unread postby Rekinit Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:17 pm

I wasn't aware. I thought, in single target at least, Arcane had the edge. Any links that show that so I can research some more?
Zelendria

Unread postby Zelendria Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Need some logs to evaluate your rotation especially so with Arcane as your mana usage is super important to see where you might be going wrong.
Of the two specs Frost is far more forgiving of the odd mistake here and there. Arcane is not very forgiving at all, and a few casts done wrong can have long consequences to your overall DPS.
Rekinit

Unread postby Rekinit Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:47 pm

I'm new to all this in one sense, so how would I go about providing logs?
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:15 am

I'm new to all this in one sense, so how would I go about providing logs?
type "/combatlog" when you want to start logging and then do it again when you want to stop. preferably when you are in a raid but dummies will do as well.

You then upload the logs to http://www.warcraftlogs.com" target="_blank and when done, past the URL to your logs here.

Another option is if you know or think you have been picked up in someone else's logs then you can search for your character on Warcraft Logs and then find a fight you would like someone to take a look at and link that URL. E.g. Here are all your fights which have been captured in someone else's logs.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... st/#boss=0
Breaktheice

Unread postby Breaktheice Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:26 pm

Without all the HFC stuff (tier bonuses, class trinket and prophecy of fear) frost will in many instances beat out arcane even on single target.
Quite the opposite actually, Arcane will in most cases beat Frost on single target in HFC if played properly. Arcane's set bonuses cater extremely well to single target encounters, and Frost's 4 PC is actually much harder to use in actual combat than in sims. Even without set bonuses or class trinkets, Arcane is just better at ST while Frost is better at 2 target cleave.

Arcane beats Frost in sims on ST, and in real raids Frost's 4 PC is much harder to properly execute because the risk of a proc munch and encounter movement, etc. all make replicating sims all the more harder.

HFC has all the mage specs in a good spot because each spec shines at something:
ST = Arcane
2 target cleave = Frost
Sustained AoE = Fire
Kirielle

Unread postby Kirielle Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:56 pm

This is absolutely correct. It's prophecy + tier bonuses that open up the gap between frost and arcane on single target; prior to acquiring any of these they will be very close and there is no reason not to play frost if you can equip a decent amount of multistrike.

Just as an example, I ran sims on the (PVP?) gear he has currently equipped, one with mastery enchants for arcane and one with multistrike enchants for frost, and the frost profile came out 1200 dps ahead.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”