Tome of shifting words help

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
ExoticPenguin

Tome of shifting words help

Unread postby ExoticPenguin Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:40 am

I just received my class trinket from tonight raid and was hoping you guys could clear up some things...

1: Why does it say on guides that I should be using unstable magic, but all the top raiders are running orb/nova?

2: I'm currently running the orb nova setup and want to know what the changes are to when I should be casting nova?

3: At what point during arcane power should I stop casting AM? And also, should I be using AO in this phase at all?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

And yes, I have read the arcane guide on this site, and it didn't quite clear all things up for me^_^

EDIT: Is Simcraft not in sync with this trinket? Because it shows me doing less dps than before without it.
Chev
Global Moderator

Re: Tome of shifting words help

Unread postby Chev Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:20 pm

1.) The guides give recommendations based on the results of SimC which is almost always using the fight conditions of pure single target, no movement, no burst requirements because this is something constant. Real world fights are completely different and so you need to change up your talent selections bases on the mechanics an how your guild handles the mechanics. It could be cause they have all the content on farm and their fight times are so short they have found they get more DPS from using those talents. E.g. Orb can be used every 15 seconds but OP and PC can only be used every 90 seconds.

2.) In pure single target you use SN when ever you are about to get your 2nd charge back to make sure one charge is always on CD otherwise cast it when you are at a high mana percentage but casting it and then AB will not cause you to cap mana. As you have taken Orb then I assume you have done this because there will my multiple targets for the orb to go through when used. In which case you want to save SN for when it will do the most damage. E.g. More targets = more damage. If there are 3 targets or more then you will also want to make sure to dump all AM's before using it as you have a chance to cap out on AM with multiple targets and SN. This also gives you a chance to proc your 4 set for even more damage. If you know multiple targets are coming up (e.g. Hands in Kormok) then try and save 2 charges for them but don't sit on 2 charges for too long.

3. When using the class trinket, you stop casting AM when the crystal as de-spawned, when MoD has dropped off your target or you have less than 3 x AM. I wouldn't. You could barrage and then use AO to get straight back op to 4 x AC but that is 2 GCD's you could have used on AB and you also have a chance to cap AM which would mean another GCD you are not using on AB.
Kirielle

Unread postby Kirielle Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:33 pm

1: UM is higher single target, SN is higher 2 target. Also SN can be valuable for the instant burst on adds if that is required. Orb is so far as I know ONLY used for multitarget fights where it can reliably get you stacks of AC + missile procs.

2: Chev answered this one pretty solidly.

3: Generally you stop casting AM around 70% mana during AP, unless you cap on procs. This can depend on your CD timing. You definitely don't AO during burn if you are using class trinket.
ExoticPenguin

Unread postby ExoticPenguin Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:56 am

Ah I see!

Yeah, my guild just wants me to do as much single target as possible, because our aoe team is nuts lol.

Sounds like I'll be using UM-IC-PM:D
ExoticPenguin

Unread postby ExoticPenguin Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:59 am

One last thing...

You said that I should stop casting AM after crystal has despawned...Does this mean that during crystal I should be using any AM charges I get on it? or only if I have 3 AM stacks during it?

Once again thanks for everyones help on this forum! Its made me alot better at this class^_^
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:40 am

You said that I should stop casting AM after crystal has despawned...Does this mean that during crystal I should be using any AM charges I get on it? or only if I have 3 AM stacks during it?
Yes. I forget where I read it but it has been shown that you want to use AM on the crystal (as long as you can guarantee all missiles will hit the crystal and you wont mana cap while casting AM + AB) as this helps keep mana levels high and has a chance to proc your 4 set further increasing your damage.

It is not a guide but more of a series of thoughts and then discussions on those thoughts but here is a post on how ToSW effects your Arcane burn depending on different talents / situations. http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1906" target="_blank,
Zelendria

Unread postby Zelendria Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:55 am

You definitely don't AO during burn if you are using class trinket.
Well I wouldn't say definitely don't... If you have PoF as your other trinket there are situations where you might want to use AO. For example:

Burning on Iskar add pack, you've just proc'd MoD. Any AP powered AMs into MoD on a add pack is huge damage.
Throwing AO at this point nets you a very good chance of multiple stacks of AM.
ExoticPenguin

Unread postby ExoticPenguin Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:56 am

Thanks a bunch for the input chev!

I have it pretty much figured out now! I like that my burn phase ends almost right after my crystal despawns :D

You guys are awesome!
ExoticPenguin

Unread postby ExoticPenguin Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:51 am

Ugh........

One last thing I forgot to ask...If I'm running SN, IF, and PC, and I have class trinket, when is the optimal time to use supernova? Should I be casting double supernova before I pop AP or after?
Zelendria

Unread postby Zelendria Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:51 am

Short answer: During AP and PC. 2 in PC, 2 in the boss, 2 in PC etc....

Long answer: (Substitute Ice Nova for SN it's the same thing)

http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1110" target="_blank
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Short answer: During AP and PC. 2 in PC, 2 in the boss, 2 in PC etc....
Long answer: (Substitute Ice Nova for SN it's the same thing)
While the answer is the same, this is not what the question was asking. The question was should they be using SN on PC instead of the now modified (faster) AB's or should they ignore SN on PC and just use AB and AM exclusively.

A Zelendria said, yes, you still want to get as many SN's as you can onto PC or at the very least the boss, while AP is up. Not doing so is a significant loss.
ExoticPenguin

Unread postby ExoticPenguin Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:03 am

Okay I see!

The way I do my burn now is... I use all my missle procs, then lay down crystal, pop AP, double nova, use any AM charges on the crystal unless I have mark on the boss, and then just start going ham on AB's. Sometimes I will burn into the low 40s if AP is still up.
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:00 am

Okay I see!

The way I do my burn now is... I use all my missle procs, then lay down crystal, pop AP, double nova, use any AM charges on the crystal unless I have mark on the boss, and then just start going ham on AB's. Sometimes I will burn into the low 40s if AP is still up.
That is the way you should be doing it. Dumping AM's before you put your crystal down is to try and get some 4 set buffs up while Crystal is used.
Kirielle

Unread postby Kirielle Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Using AM or SN at mana cap is a waste, unless you are AM'ing the MoD (or fishing for AM with SN).

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”