I'm consistently getting 50%~ percentile

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Misaki

I'm consistently getting 50%~ percentile

Unread postby Misaki Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:13 pm

https://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlo ... c/overview" target="_blank

I've been going through my logs on askmrrobot.com and from the fights that where there, I noticed I was getting very low percentile numbers and also on mage specific percentile at that item level it was even lower then the overall, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong, can anyone go through my logs and maybe tell me? I today only realized that I'm missing one tick of arcane missles and I'm currently working on it, but other then that I'm lost
Frosted

Re: I'm consistently getting 50%~ percentile

Unread postby Frosted Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:28 pm

AMR logs are worthless. You'll have to use WCL.
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:26 am

Also, please read http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=41" target="_blank before posting as it details what information we need before we can help you.
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:32 pm

I have looked you up on WarcraftLogs and the first thing that I saw is you are not changing your talents. The only thing I can see you changing it RoP -> IF and vice versa. Just stick with IF for now while you focus on other areas of your rotation but you really want to be changing up your level 7 talents based on what the fight is. E.g. Arcane orb for HFC, Iskar and so on. See http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1746" target="_blank for a fight by fight recommendations.

Going through yours fights there are periods of time where you are not casting anything. Some of this will be due to mechanics but you should be following the general rule of "ABC: Always Be Casting" Take Komrok as an example. There was about 28 seconds of the fight (in a 04:20 fight) where you were not casting anything including 8-9 seconds after the pull. Even at 0% haste and 0 x Arcane Charge, that is another 12 Arcane Blasts that you could have got in.

You also need to work on your burn and conserve phases. On average you have 2 burn phases per 4 minute fight. In a 4 minute fight you should be getting 4 burns in. One on pull, on around 1:10- 1:30, another at 2:40~3:00 marks & the last burn will start when the boss has 20-25 seconds to live. You go do more burn phases in with longer fights but still not enough. A really bad example is Iskar, you burnt once for a 6 minute fight and that was when when you popped Time Warp in the 3rd intermission phase.

In your conserve phase, you are pretty good at making sure you do not cap mana for too long but I can see there are a few times you spent too long at 100% mana as you either reset your AC stacks when you could have cast another AB or you cast AM when you should have cast AB so there is some improvement to be made in in that regard but then there are other fight where the burn & conserve guidelines seemed to be thrown out the window. Take Hellfire Council as an example.

You can see your first burn went for too long (~45 seconds) as you continued to use all your AM procs when you were less than 70% mana which extended your burn You want your burn phase to be around 15-20 seconds to keep PC, AP & Evo in sync. Because your initial burn took so long, when you started your 2nd burn because Time Warp was used your Evo still had 50 seconds CD left causing you to burn longer and lower than you should have.

With your conserve phases for this fight, non of them went well. You interrupted your first Evo too early causing you to have to compensate with 2 x AB + ABarr + ABarr to get back up to normal conserve levels of mana for your first conserve phase. After that your 2nd and 3rd conserve phases got too low and rather than compensate you went with it meaning you were befitting less from your mastery bonus. Also you started a 4th burn 30 seconds after using Evo and 70 seconds before the boss died forcing you to go easy in the last conserve phase to get and get your mana levels back up, of which you never fully recovered.

There are other things that can be improved on rotation wise but I would suggest getting the fundamentals down before focusing on those so I wont go into them now. The best way to do this is set up some good weak auras (or Tell Me When if that is what you use) to show your mana percentage and CD for Evo, AP and PC you may also want to find an addon / WA to show the time left to live for your current target so you know when to start your final burn. Then just spend some serious time on a training dummy getting used to burn and conserve without worrying about mechanics and DPS metres.
Misaki

Unread postby Misaki Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:20 pm

I have looked you up on WarcraftLogs and the first thing that I saw is you are not changing your talents. The only thing I can see you changing it RoP -> IF and vice versa. Just stick with IF for now while you focus on other areas of your rotation but you really want to be changing up your level 7 talents based on what the fight is. E.g. Arcane orb for HFC, Iskar and so on. See http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1746" target="_blank for a fight by fight recommendations.

Going through yours fights there are periods of time where you are not casting anything. Some of this will be due to mechanics but you should be following the general rule of "ABC: Always Be Casting" Take Komrok as an example. There was about 28 seconds of the fight (in a 04:20 fight) where you were not casting anything including 8-9 seconds after the pull. Even at 0% haste and 0 x Arcane Charge, that is another 12 Arcane Blasts that you could have got in.

You also need to work on your burn and conserve phases. On average you have 2 burn phases per 4 minute fight. In a 4 minute fight you should be getting 4 burns in. One on pull, on around 1:10- 1:30, another at 2:40~3:00 marks & the last burn will start when the boss has 20-25 seconds to live. You go do more burn phases in with longer fights but still not enough. A really bad example is Iskar, you burnt once for a 6 minute fight and that was when when you popped Time Warp in the 3rd intermission phase.

In your conserve phase, you are pretty good at making sure you do not cap mana for too long but I can see there are a few times you spent too long at 100% mana as you either reset your AC stacks when you could have cast another AB or you cast AM when you should have cast AB so there is some improvement to be made in in that regard but then there are other fight where the burn & conserve guidelines seemed to be thrown out the window. Take Hellfire Council as an example.

You can see your first burn went for too long (~45 seconds) as you continued to use all your AM procs when you were less than 70% mana which extended your burn You want your burn phase to be around 15-20 seconds to keep PC, AP & Evo in sync. Because your initial burn took so long, when you started your 2nd burn because Time Warp was used your Evo still had 50 seconds CD left causing you to burn longer and lower than you should have.

With your conserve phases for this fight, non of them went well. You interrupted your first Evo too early causing you to have to compensate with 2 x AB + ABarr + ABarr to get back up to normal conserve levels of mana for your first conserve phase. After that your 2nd and 3rd conserve phases got too low and rather than compensate you went with it meaning you were befitting less from your mastery bonus. Also you started a 4th burn 30 seconds after using Evo and 70 seconds before the boss died forcing you to go easy in the last conserve phase to get and get your mana levels back up, of which you never fully recovered.

There are other things that can be improved on rotation wise but I would suggest getting the fundamentals down before focusing on those so I wont go into them now. The best way to do this is set up some good weak auras (or Tell Me When if that is what you use) to show your mana percentage and CD for Evo, AP and PC you may also want to find an addon / WA to show the time left to live for your current target so you know when to start your final burn. Then just spend some serious time on a training dummy getting used to burn and conserve without worrying about mechanics and DPS metres.
Defiantly looking into some new WA. My only problem is I'm always hesitant on whether or not I should go into burn phase or wait since I have no procs
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Defiantly looking into some new WA. My only problem is I'm always hesitant on whether or not I should go into burn phase or wait since I have no procs
Your burn is not dependant on procs. It is dependant on if Arcane Power is off CD and Evocation is off CD or will be soon (or the boss will die soon so you don't need Evo). The only other thing that will effect your decision is if a fight mechanic will stop you from burning, e.g. Iron reaver is just about to transition to the air phase or a mechanic such as Feat of Souls will be starting soon so it is worth waiting until then to start your burn.

P.S. The legendary ring counts as a fight mechanic but due to it having a CD of 2 minutes and your burn is 1.5 minutes, you need to understand when your guild is going to use it. E.g. On CD or wait for a mechanic to start / finish so that you can sync your burns with the ring buff. If there is a delay between the ring coming off CD and being used, how long will that be? If it will be a minute then you could burn on pull, burn on CD and then the 3rd burn will sync with the ring again.
Misaki

Unread postby Misaki Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Your burn is not dependant on procs. It is dependant on if Arcane Power is off CD and Evocation is off CD or will be soon (or the boss will die soon so you don't need Evo). The only other thing that will effect your decision is if a fight mechanic will stop you from burning, e.g. Iron reaver is just about to transition to the air phase or a mechanic such as Feat of Souls will be starting soon so it is worth waiting until then to start your burn.

P.S. The legendary ring counts as a fight mechanic but due to it having a CD of 2 minutes and your burn is 1.5 minutes, you need to understand when your guild is going to use it. E.g. On CD or wait for a mechanic to start / finish so that you can sync your burns with the ring buff. If there is a delay between the ring coming off CD and being used, how long will that be? If it will be a minute then you could burn on pull, burn on CD and then the 3rd burn will sync with the ring again.
Thanks a lot, I also picked up frost for the fights I seemed to struggle with on arcane and I'm really doing a lot better, the help is much appreciated

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”