Question about NT vs SN

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Embers

Question about NT vs SN

Unread postby Embers Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:14 pm

I'm not the best with SimC or the super math involved with a question like this. But I was wondering how long Nether Tempest would have to tick to do equal the damage the two back to back Super Novas with 31.16% Haste, 71.06% Mastery, and 9,149 Spellpower raid buffed.

I ask because I was wondering about Super Nova vs Nether Tempest on the post Gorefiend fights that are not Zakuun. Would using Tome with Nether Tempest be as bad as it sounds because of how low your mana gets with its burn phase? Those stats I just gave would be with a Heroic Warforged Tome and a Heroic Prophecy of Fear. But I also have a Mythic Shadowmoon Insignia and a Mythic Gaze of Sethe.
Chev
Global Moderator

Re: Question about NT vs SN

Unread postby Chev Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:21 pm

Moved to the correct area for these questions.
DyLemma

Unread postby DyLemma Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:11 pm

If you have Prophecy trinket supernova will pretty much always be better at least this tier because supernova can proc doom nova and give you a ton of missiles procs in the process.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:39 pm

If you have Prophecy trinket supernova will pretty much always be better at least this tier because supernova can proc doom nova and give you a ton of missiles procs in the process.

Pretty much any spell impact/application procs doom nova.
DyLemma

Unread postby DyLemma Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:31 pm

Just saying most stuff is bursted down this tier and nothing lasts extremely long and supernova is instant damage and can hopefully quickly proc a doom nova on adds and generate missiles in the process and you can hopefully get lucky and spam 3 missiles into it before everything dies, arcanes aoe is completely irrelevant without the trinket regardless it's always been awful from what I've known? But if it procs it's pretty crazy so you just hope and pray to RNG gods that your trinket procs at the perfect times.
Rettep

Unread postby Rettep Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:41 am

Nether tempest also procs AMs.
Rettep <Ecology> Kazzak
HM 7/7M, BRF 10/10M, HFC 13/13M

Armory
Guild Armory
Guild Website
DyLemma

Unread postby DyLemma Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:59 am

Nether tempest also procs AMs.
And? Doesn't make the talent good, nether tempest is bad on every fight by miles. All the add fights favor supernova heavily
Embers

Unread postby Embers Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:53 pm

Is there a chance that the AoE damage from Nether Tempest can proc Doom Nova? Or does that damage that Nether Tempest does to targets surrounding the one its on count as a DoT as well?
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Is there a chance that the AoE damage from Nether Tempest can proc Doom Nova? Or does that damage that Nether Tempest does to targets surrounding the one its on count as a DoT as well?
No. It can apply the proc but it has to be active spells trigger the explosion. This is why Frost Icicles doesn't work (any more) as well.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”