570 Frost Mage LF Advice

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
rifab

570 Frost Mage LF Advice

Unread postby rifab Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:27 am

Holla, might aswell post my armory - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... b/advanced" target="_blank

Been playing mage since late Lich King and have been swapping between the 3 diferent specs though have stuck with frost for the longest time because it suits me, and for the longest time I have been using "askmrobot" to optimise my gear and to start, should I be using this to optimise for HC raiding? Im not a "hardcore" raider, just casual but as I want to make some progress to up my gear that bit more, having the correct regorges etc wouldnt be a bad start. I have looked at the guide on the forst mages forum section but cant see any of the "guide" so to speak and honestly havent got a clue where to start from reading all the comments.

Second would be the use of nether tempest/living bomb/forst bomb. I used to use frost bomb at the start of MoP then swapped to nether tempest half way through and havent touched living bomb, though which of the 3 is currently the best to use to optimise dps?

If I can think of anything else i'll be sure to add to thise but yeah any advice will be appretiated.
Malon
Global Moderator

Re: 570 Frost Mage LF Advice

Unread postby Malon Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:29 am

Hi Rifab, welcome to Altered Time.
First, you have a LOT of haste. That's fine if you're going for breakpoints and don't mind twitchy play (19,347 is the haste rating you should aim for if you're serious about doing this); a lot of players prefer to hit the 14,242 haste mark and then pile everything else into mastery. However, if this works for you go ahead. Akraen can probably speak more about the benefits of stacking haste.

A combat log, which includes a Malkorok kill, would really help us have a look at your performance and see what you're doing right/wrong. This is easy to do: just type /combatlog when you enter a raid and again when you leave, then upload the file to Warcraft Logs.

As for bombs, LB is best for single/spread-out targets, NT for 2-5 targets and FrB for any higher. For example:
Immerseus: LB (adds die too fast to worry about applying bombs)
Fallen Protectors: NT
Norushen: NT
Sha: LB (small adds are not a priority)
Galakras: LB, or NT if you want to pad the damage meters
Author of Wowhead's official Mage guide: http://www.wowhead.com/classes#mage
Follow me for Mage tips and tricks at @ArcaneTactics (https://twitter.com/ArcaneTactics" target="_blank)
rifab

Unread postby rifab Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:57 am

Yeah I had been told by one other mage that I had no idea what I was doing stacking all the haste, which I was doing thanks to Askmrobot, though I am usually top dps/damage done at the end of the fight for people of the same gear. So either way if you or someone can convince me otherwise I will be sure to reforge accordingly.

I wont be running SoO HC until monday due to finishing 1-4 today with another progression guild, though I will jump into a flex with malkorok and post it here asap.

Concerning bombs, i'll be sure to swap NT and LB out for the fights to see any differences cheers for the heads up :D
rifab

Unread postby rifab Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:14 pm

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/C92 ... pe=summary" target="_blank

Got into a quick flex which turned out to be a mess and everyone leaving after the first boss thanks to constant whipes from tanks, good times had :?
Soggs
Global Moderator

Unread postby Soggs Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:44 pm

First the classics:
- Improve Invokers Energy Uptime: The log shows ~85% should be 10% higher even more so in Flex. There is a big gap of about 25s at 55s into the fight.
- Bomb Uptime could be a little bit higher than 92% aim for >95%.
- Way too many Ice Lances you only had 21 FoF procs but fired 31 Ice Lances. Those numbers should match.
- Brain Freeze use could be slightly better you missed 3 procs.

Train your pull. IV should be popped on pull unless you really need to safe it for burst in the first 3 minutes of the fight. That would netted you a second IV and the end too.
Also try to get used to AT at least on the pull to snapshot all your buffs once.
Shoot me a pm if you want me to elaborate on my crazy thoughts. I sometimes lose track of what I actually meant to say.

"The game isn't as simple as you."

Currently caught up in a game called Real Life. Activity may suffer from this.
rifab

Unread postby rifab Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:00 pm

-Cant remember what went on for it to be down that long honestly, would have been better if i had logs from something other than a random flex but that will have to wait until monday.
-1st time using bombs and with current ui I need to configer abit better, to used to nether tempest popping up and also not sure if i am supposed to wait until the bomb expires to refresh or to refresh close to the end.
-With ice lances I pop them when i have 5 icicles up, i used to only send out the icicles when i had a proc up but i put 1 in the rotation when i hit 5 with or without a proc, mages i have asked save, some dont. I havent seen a massive flux in dps with doing either. Whenever i pull i will use IV and every 1-2 casts of frost bolt (or 1 frost and 1 frostfire if i have proc) I will pop a icelance regardless to send on the icicles.
- I understand the use of AT but hesitate thanks to the whole use AT, oh shit fire is on me, move out, wait im back in it. Been unlucky previously so tend to not use it. With the ToT set which used to have a AT buff I would use constantly, now not so much lols.
Soggs
Global Moderator

Unread postby Soggs Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:59 pm

NEVER USE ICE LANCE JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE FIVE ICICLES! There is no need for this. If you get a sixth icicle the oldest autofires at the current target. To only way to lose icicles is due to them expiring after not getting used for 30 seconds.

Not using AT though is ok. It will be gone with the expansion anyway. It is just using it at pulls like malkorok is really easy.
Shoot me a pm if you want me to elaborate on my crazy thoughts. I sometimes lose track of what I actually meant to say.

"The game isn't as simple as you."

Currently caught up in a game called Real Life. Activity may suffer from this.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”