SimCraft Question

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Insoluble

SimCraft Question

Unread postby Insoluble Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:23 am

Hey guys, I have question regarding the results page for simcraft.

For the DPS, when I import my toon from armory or AMR, is that the results of my current toon's setup (enchants, gems, weights, etc.) or is that the results of the suggested weights provided in the scale factor box?
Komma
Administrator

Re: SimCraft Question

Unread postby Komma Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:28 am

I was about to post a reply to your previous thread before you deleted it :cry:

SimC is basically a DPS calculator. When you run it, it gives you an estimation of what your character is capable of doing with the given conditions. The default settings are set for a ~7.5 minute single target fight where your character does nothing but shoot the boss, so you're likely to see higher numbers than you see in actual raids!

The suggested weights from AMR have nothing to do with SimC.

Here's the answer regarding what you asked earlier about SimC stat weights:

The "stat weights" on the SimC results page take into account all current enchants and gems. The default settings also assume you're playing in a raid where you have every buff as well, which might not be the case in real raids. Sometimes the weights look a little wonky when you're really close to stat caps or breakpoints (ie. haste, crit for frost).

You can plug in the numbers into AMR for optimizations. AMR doesn't like big numbers (ie. 10 or above) for stat weights, but a simple way to get around it is to simply divide all the SimC stat weights by 2 (or bigger if necessary). The AMR optimization results don't change as long as the relative ratios between the stat weights are the same.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Insoluble

Unread postby Insoluble Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. I apologize for my first post, I deleted it while I was watching a video on it and thought it answered all my questions.

As for the weights, I assume there's no reason in selecting spell power for scaling since you can't really add any unless it's through intellect right now, and hit cap is simple enough to setup through AMR.

I have another question as well, when it comes to optimizing my reforge, how could I modify my toon other than the steps of modifying weights, logging on, reforging, possibly re-gemming and testing again?

Thanks for your time.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Spellpower only matters on weapons. Setting a weight for it helps when comparing weapons of different itemlevel.

SimC does not offer a simple interface for changing your character, but you can use AMR's interface to make a bunch of changes, and then export your character for a sim. After you finish making changes on AMR, look for the "simc" button just above the stats panel. You'll see a bunch of selected text, which you can then copy paste into SimC as input.

Here's a quick guide on how to do it: http://blog.askmrrobot.com/2013/04/how- ... -mr-robot/" target="_blank
Admin of Altered Time.

Insoluble

Unread postby Insoluble Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Is there a reason why my DPS is 500 lower when I import it from AMR as oppose to the armory?
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Is there a reason why my DPS is 500 lower when I import it from AMR as oppose to the armory?
Hrm. Have you checked the error bars?

I do have some suspicions why this might be the case, but I'll have to investigate. That being said, it shouldn't change things too much. If you want to make sure it works, try to just replace the "gear" section at the bottom of the SimC screen, with the corresponding copy/paste from AMR.
Admin of Altered Time.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”