Looking for some help.

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Valamar

Looking for some help.

Unread postby Valamar Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Mod edit: Moved to Q&A forum

Hello everyone, im trying to get some help. This is the thing, for some reason im doing really low dps for the gear that i have. Currently im doing around 220-240k dps with my fire mage with 859 ilvl. I think that my openner its ok. I usually try to get the heating up buff before going for RoP+Comb. I think i know when to use FB outside of the "burst phase" to get pyros. So im thinking that maybe my low dps its becouse lag or lack of skill. On a good day im playing with 220ms and even when everyone tells me thats a lot of ping to play i dont find it that bad. But still it could be a reason.

Also i have noticed that sometimes my dps inproves a bit when I stop doing the calls on my core but its not always and its starting to bother me since almost everyone on the core its doing a really god job but me.

I really hate to have low dps compared to others mages with similar gear since i know that i could be doing better and i dont like to be carried. I just want to do my job decently.

Here are my current stats without food or flasks:
Int: 30815
Crit: 55.68%
Mastery: 17%
Haste: 8%
Vers: 1%

Links to logs and armory:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kL ... m/#fight=1" target="_blank
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7C ... pe=summary" target="_blank
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/R ... r/advanced" target="_blank

I would really love some help since i dont think im a bad player and im starting to go crazy seeing everyone progress on their classes.

ps: sorry for my grammar im trying to do my best on a non-native language.
Emazing17

Re: Looking for some help.

Unread postby Emazing17 Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:25 pm

At a glance I would say..

Get to 60% crit minimum.

Drop that manacracker for a shock baton asap. Even an 830 one.

Precast pryo at pull > rop > fireball(combustion just before end) > fb > pyro > fb > pyro > flame on > fb > pyro > fb > pyro > pflames > pyro > 2nd rop > pflames > pyro > fluid situation from there on.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... y/advanced" target="_blank

My profile. I'm generally at 300k +/- 15k depending on the fight.

Latency can be an issue though, when im lagging it a bit it definitely messes up my opener more than anything.

Hope that helps
Fitch1911

Unread postby Fitch1911 Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:49 pm

@Emazing

Aren't you wasting RoP time by casting a FB before you start the Pyro chain?

Pre Pyro>RoP(combustion as cast finishes)>PF. If pre pyro crit then you are into the Pyro spam with FB, FO and the PF. If pre pyro didnt crit then you need to throw in a FB to start the Crit chain.
Emazing17

Unread postby Emazing17 Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:08 pm

@Emazing

Pre Pyro>RoP(combustion as cast finishes)>PF. If pre pyro crit then you are into the Pyro spam with FB, FO and the PF. If pre pyro didnt crit then you need to throw in a FB to start the Crit chain.
Yah its a slight waste, u can sub the first fireball with pflames and use the same rotation
Woke

Unread postby Woke Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:34 pm

@Emazing

Yah its a slight waste, u can sub the first fireball with pflames and use the same rotation
Do not do this rotation as an opener. Especially if you are using potion of deadly grace. This rotation is a pretty big damage loss all around, so don't do it. Please look at the stickied thread of how to play fire mage by Rinoa for 7.0, because that will be far more helpful and correct information.
Valamar

Unread postby Valamar Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:49 pm

Thanks for the answers. I have been trying a lot of diferent openers. And i recently found one that might be really good.

Pre pull cast Pyro+PF and then you have 2 escenarios:
A: 2 crits=Hot Streak: RoP+combustion -> pyro Fblst chain
B: Pyro doesnt crit, only PF=Heating up: RoP+Comb+Fblst ->pyro chain

Funny thing @Emazing17 at some point i had 63% crit IIRC, but when i was looking other mages i saw that they have around 50-55% crit but 32k+ of int. and i had 28k. So i though that my lack of int was holding my dps.
Edit: I was using mana crak. trinket to boost my int.

So in the end i should stick with dungeon mythic gear instead of EN heroic gear ? in order to get back my crit but losse int. I though that more int=more dmg (with normal and crit hits)
Emazing17

Unread postby Emazing17 Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:56 pm

Easiest thing to do is download the addon "pawn" and you can create a custom profile and import your own stat weights so when u mouse over gear it will tell you if its an upgrade or not(minus trinkets)

And to the guy who said don't follow what I said, its pretty much exactly what rinoa's guide says now that I look at it.

Only difference is pflames instead of fireball(which I said later is actually better).

He also says to use deadly grace pre-pull which seems like a waste to me. I pop it just after I cast combustion.
Emazing17

Unread postby Emazing17 Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:58 pm

Exactly
Artenuis

Unread postby Artenuis Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:21 am

This is basically what the fire guide thread says, but you should wait with casting PF until after casting RoP. PF is your second best DPE spell, and casting it outside RoP is a significant DPS loss. You need to realise that when playing with RoP, your rotation centres around putting out as much damage as you can within your RoP windows. That is where most of your DPS is going to come from.
He also says to use deadly grace pre-pull which seems like a waste to me. I pop it just after I cast combustion.
It's a waste to use your potion after Combustion, as you will only be able to use one that way.
Emazing17

Unread postby Emazing17 Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:56 am

Oh wow, ok that makes sense as to why he does it then.

Assuming the potion buff being on you already before combat doesn't affect the only 1 pot per fight thing.

Shit, I'm not sure whether to thank you or hate you because I am gonna be spending 1.3k gold per boss now :)
Potaetoe

Unread postby Potaetoe Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:23 am

Get to 60% crit minimum.

Precast pryo at pull > rop > fireball(combustion just before end) > fb > pyro > fb > pyro > flame on > fb > pyro > fb > pyro > pflames > pyro > 2nd rop > pflames > pyro > fluid situation from there on.

Latency can be an issue though, when im lagging it a bit it definitely messes up my opener more than anything.

Hope that helps

I find it disingenuous to set a crit minimum. Sims have thoroughly proven that haste/verst pieces can be an upgrade over crit if they've also got a lot of int.

It's best to sim yourself and compare the gear you have. Setting an unrealistic standard like 60% crit leads to poor gearing.

Non-Opener phases feel nicer with about 56%+ crit, and it only gets smoother as you get higher. That doesn't mean your damage is completely shite outside of that however.
Emazing17

Unread postby Emazing17 Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:07 am

Get to 60% crit minimum.

Hope that helps

I find it disingenuous to set a crit minimum. Sims have thoroughly proven that haste/verst pieces can be an upgrade over crit if they've also got a lot of int.

It's best to sim yourself and compare the gear you have. Setting an unrealistic standard like 60% crit leads to poor gearing.

Non-Opener phases feel nicer with about 56%+ crit, and it only gets smoother as you get higher. That doesn't mean your damage is completely shite outside of that however.
You may be right, but you should definitely aim to be near 60%.

Obviously you shouldn't sacrifice an 880 non crit piece for a 830 crit piece but crafted peerless or decimator gear is easily attainable.

It's really not unrealistic at all.
Artenuis

Unread postby Artenuis Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:20 am

Oh wow, ok that makes sense as to why he does it then.

Assuming the potion buff being on you already before combat doesn't affect the only 1 pot per fight thing.

Shit, I'm not sure whether to thank you or hate you because I am gonna be spending 1.3k gold per boss now :)
Yes, since you're using the potion before you enter combat, the cooldown will start rolling, giving you another usage during combat. I personally haven't bothered getting any of the Legion potions, but then again, I'm dirty miser.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”