Arcane Simcraft Issue

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Naaldira

Arcane Simcraft Issue

Unread postby Naaldira Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:01 am

I'm not sure where the issue might be in the APL - I've tried looking but I'm not very good with that stuff. However, I am certain that either there is an issue with the rotation, or with the graphs being produced by the sim.

Evocation is often being cast at up to or above 600K mana. This is horrible for DPS. Casting evocation on cooldown as a priority is okay, but if so the burn phase should be started earlier so that all mana should be expended before evocating.

It makes no sense to be evocating and clipping a burn phase short when we no longer suffer from low mana. The higher % of the time we spend burning, the higher the DPS. Either evocation would need to be delayed or mana burn started sooner, either way the burn/conserve ratio would be increased (and can be) and that is better. Ideally you would burn all mana just in time for evocation to become available.

The mana graph looks the same as WoD, so I'm wondering if the APL hasn't been properly updated to Legion. I suspect not a lot of thought has gone into arcane compared to Fire, and this has been overlooked.
Zulandia
Global Moderator

Re: Arcane Simcraft Issue

Unread postby Zulandia Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:15 am

The mana graphs are averaged over every iteration (and only plotted on every full second). Because the exact timing of evocate will change iteration to iteration this causes the weird values you think you're noticing. If you sim in a single iteration (or use deterministic/check a single iteration in a batch) you should see mana graphs more in line with what you expect.

For example here is a mana chart from a single run pulled out of a batch:

Which has the following evocates in the format (time | spell | target | mana | buffs):

0:41.597 | evocation | Fluffy_Pillow | 122478.5/1724526: 7% mana | arcane_missiles, quickening(28)

2:19.588 | evocation | Fluffy_Pillow |146308.7/1724526: 8% mana |arcane_charge(4), quickening(23), rune_of_power

3:55.805 | evocation | Fluffy_Pillow | 149361.5/1724526: 9% mana | arcane_charge(4), arcane_missiles, quickening(21), nightwell_arcanum

Fwiw the line which controls evocate cast is:

Code: Select all

actions.burn+=/evocation,interrupt_if=mana.pct>99
As you can see there is almost no logic involved that could be going wrong, it's simply the lowest priority spell in the burn phase section which means it will only be run when no other actions in that section are able to be...aka when it is out of procs and mana.
Naaldira

Re: Arcane Simcraft Issue

Unread postby Naaldira Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:32 am

Ok cool thanks. That makes sense as I didn't know much about the simcrafting only that the graph I was seeing didn't make sense.

Thanks for clarifying!

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”