Some Basic Frost Questions

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Xidian

Some Basic Frost Questions

Unread postby Xidian Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Just switch to frost and got a few basic Questions.

I read through the thermal void guide and Frosted's guide before asking here.

1) Do you always use Bone Chilling with the Legendary gloves to get the most possible extension with Water Jet or is the damage gained from Lonely Winter still better?

2) If you Cast Ebonbolt then Immediately cast Flurry and then Ice lance does the Lice lance 'steal' the crit and cost a lot of damage?

3) During Icy Veins what do I do with Ebonbolt do I just use it and use the flurry proc on Ebonbolt?

I've been messing about with Embonbolt on the dummy and it's not super clear because there are a lot of 'natural' crits.

Many thanks.
Inuyasu

Re: Some Basic Frost Questions

Unread postby Inuyasu Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:45 pm

1) i do, only reason not to is if you can't get th full fof generation benefit of the elemental (krosus maybe, can be done with proper timing)

2) no, the chill debuff lasts the full duration of the flurry and covers ebonbolt and the ice Lance. Same with frostbolt shatter combos

3) i try to use ebonbolt on cooldown, but depending on the situation it might line up with water jet or orb, in those cases i will hold until those skills are done so as not to waste the winter chill.
Misaki

Unread postby Misaki Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Note: I play fire, but I know a lot about mages and am planning on switching to frost soon (tm)

1) Lonely winter.
2) No. Reason, Flurry applies the debuff multiple times and your ebonbolt should land before your flurry finishes.
3) Yes, since you can also get a ice lance off afterwards that extends icy veins.
exuplosion

Unread postby exuplosion Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:40 am

Inyuasu provides good answers for 2 and 3. For #1, it seems everyone has a preference, this is just my experience:

(I do not have gloves, LW sims higher for me in most cases) Some fights might benefit from LW if there is a lot of fast target switching, or RP/mechanics events that make it hard to keep up IV (or the Krosus size issue)
Xidian

Unread postby Xidian Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:39 am

Thanks for the answers.

I'm happier overall with my dps now but I 'm struggling with Botanist Elisande and Guldan.

Here are my logs:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 429/latest" target="_blank

On botanist I'm using Icy veins on the pull and then again when it comes off cd should I want for p2? I use blizzard on CD over 2 bosses or the lashers while they're up. Not really sure where I'm going wrong.

Elisande I will prepot and then I will save Icy Veins until we have the adds stacked together. I cast blizzard when it will hit 2 targets.

Guldan I use Icy Veins when the second add comes down and I try to cast blizzard just before the eyes and will save frozen orb if the eyes are up soon.

Anything I'm missing or any optimizations I don't know about?
Dyalia

Unread postby Dyalia Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:27 am

The only significant thing I can see from your logs, is that you keep forgetting your second pot in your top logs. Also try to line up icy veins with orb and second pot.
Xidian

Unread postby Xidian Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:11 am

Thank you

Are you looking at the most recent set I linked? I can't see where I missed pots?

I would really like some advice for the last 3 bosses before raid this week.

New patch, new logs!
House

Unread postby House Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:34 am

So your best log on botanist, looked like you were going pretty good but you were dead for the last 40 seconds. So I guess don't die. Your active DPS for that fight was 774 and you died during the highest damage producing part of the fight, I suspect if you didn't die you would have ended up around the 800k mark which is a respectable botanist log.

Also on your last guldan and last elisande you were dead early (elisande must have been very early).

So, It's hard to help you max damage if you're dying all the time, you do 0 dps when you're dead so you should heavily prioritise getting the mechanics of the fights down. Once you're comfortable with the mechanics your dps on the fights will increase.

Anyways some basic tips for elisande and guldan;

Elisande;
your raid is not currently hero'ing on pull, not sure why that is but if they are insistent on hero'ing towards the end of phase 3 do you have any other legendaries you could sub in for shard? If you can convince them to hero on the pull its easy to get 3 hero's off in that fight (you hero on pull, some1 heroes for you when you're cooldowns are up phase 2 and you can hero again for yourself in phase 3.

Make sure you're getting 2 sets of red buff, every time. If you've got the red buff and icy veins you can double IL.

I'd talent into shimmer for that fight. Blink is incredibly valuable for blinking over the rings, or getting out to soak the ephoceric orb (not sure on spelling). Or getting to the next add area. Either way Icy floes gives you very little on that fight and blink is super valuable.

Guldan:
So the action button for the guldan fight is very valuable. Try to ensure you'll get at least 1 action button press per icy veins with icy veins and the action button double IL is possible. For the first phase you can action button after the first liquid hellfire, for full duration and you should get a second usage off (I think the button will be off CD for about 5 seconds until his next hellfire so wait that out). Just make sure you're getting regular use out of the action button and that your using it away from liquid hellfires so it doesn't get immediately cancelled.

Another cool trick if you get bonds of fel'd you can just ice block and have the priest life grip you out.

Anyways prioritise staying alive, spread for the eyes and kill them quickly is usually the most difficult part of the fight to live through.

*didn't see your latest logs so I was looking at raid before you're most recent. Seems like you did much better last raid (lived!) and put some solid parses together I'll have a look at those logs and see if I can notice anything
House

Unread postby House Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:50 am

So on your latest botanist pull, Your second Icy veins dropped off extremely quickly. especially for someone with the gloves. with hero in phase 3 it should be extremely easy to keep icy veins up for the remainder of the fight. Also you didn't use a 2nd pot or cast a second heroism. Your second icy veins on that fight should see out the remainder of the fight. Better icy veins uptime will be a huge increase in DPS.
Xidian

Unread postby Xidian Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:42 am

Maybe it's just our horrible position but I can't keep Icy veins up on botanist at all I use it on the pull then when it comes off CD.

I have some new Questions:

If I get back to back flurry Procs do I use one then cast another frost bolt or just go FL>IL>FL>IL?

Should I work through the new traits or put my points in the IV CD reduction and other places?

On the opener I'm going EB>IV>FL>IL>Orb>IL>FB.

Do I need more forstbolt in there? (I'm also looking at the opener thread in this forum)

Thanks again. <3

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”