What spec in 7.2.5?

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Shnuggles

What spec in 7.2.5?

Unread postby Shnuggles Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Mod Edit: Moved to Q&A
Will Fire out perform Frost in 7.2.5? I've seen several changes that may indicate Fire will be on top now instead of Frost in 7.2.5 but I could be wrong, hoping to get some clarification?
Beave

Re: What spec in 7.2.5?

Unread postby Beave Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:05 pm

Sims I've seen indicate the lastest PTR build frost is getting some nerfs aimed at reducing IV uptime, but an increase to the base damage output of the spells and should still be pretty good. The devs clearly don't envision Icy Veins as something that should be extended for a minute+ and would apparently prefer to shorten the skills that extend it than try to eliminate double ice-lancing. With haste scaling as gear ilvl continues to go up, IV for really long periods of time is becoming easier and easier. My read right now on Frost is that they're making some changes to keep it from going overboard with 100% IV uptime than really to knock it down.

Fire already got some buffs, but it sounds like Blizzard is happy with it being a bottom-tier ST spec under the justification that "it's an aoe spec". What's miserably stupid is how insane some other classes are right now due to draught. The same reasons they give for fire mages not needing to be great at ST dps are invalidated by some melee spec like warriors due to that trinket. I started as fire, have good fire legendaries, and with how AP is becoming a secondary concern I'll keep it updated but I'm not really planning to play it much.

Arcane is the wildcard. I'm swapping my loot spec to arcane now as I have good legendaries for the other two specs and I fully expect that arcane will be the spec to play before Legion is over. It's already in a middle-of-the-pack spot for ST and has some really good burst aoe if you skill for it.
Eyliria

Re: What spec in 7.2.5?

Unread postby Eyliria Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:39 am

Sims I've seen indicate the lastest PTR build frost is getting some nerfs aimed at reducing IV uptime, but an increase to the base damage output of the spells and should still be pretty good.
This is incorrect. It's merely shifting the damage from the Buff Aura into the spells.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”