>Frost< Check my logs and see what I'm doing wrong please?

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Detoxx

>Frost< Check my logs and see what I'm doing wrong please?

Unread postby Detoxx Fri May 05, 2017 7:54 pm

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9pXy8kWGAx1wt4a6" target="_blank

This is heroic progression for my guild. My DPS is around 300-400k, yes I'm definitely undergeared, don't have the right legends, and no tier pieces. Anything else you can see rotation wise? I cannot keep IV up for anything, so maybe a look at my talents as well. I would greatly appreciate the help, just back on WoW for the first time since Wrath and I can't stand the terrible DPS I'm doing, and my guilds underwhelmed as well, lol. I have taken a look at thingy's guide to TV builds and it helped quite a bit.
kickassZA

Re: >Frost< Check my logs and see what I'm doing wrong pleas

Unread postby kickassZA Sun May 07, 2017 2:28 am

Yo dude.

Gear wise you don't have too much crit. Try focus on getting to the recommended 33.34 percent crit cap. Secondly you have a random mastery enchant on your ring. Focus hard on getting trinkets. Getting most of the trinkets from NH will be better for you than your current ones. I would focus on getting Metronome from Chronomatic Anomaly and Gul'dans Whispers in the dark. Whispers is probably your BiS so personally i'd do LFR gul'dan 2-3 times each week and use bonus rolls on them if you aren't really progressing much during the week and able to through lots of rolls into the two bosses mentioned above.

I'm going to look at the below logs:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9p ... &source=43" target="_blank

First things first you are using splitting ice instead of frozen touch. Without gloves + frozen touch you might battle to get into your second orb. You'll see that people your iLvl high in the logs all run splitting ice. Most of them will have 100 percent uptime on IV and thus Frozen Touch is of no use. If you are battling to hold your IV I would recommend going through with Frozen touch.

Secondly your opener is way off. See below:
00:00:03.756 Detoxx casts Frostbolt on Chronomatic Anomaly
00:00:05.322 Detoxx casts Frostbolt on Chronomatic Anomaly
00:00:05.603 Detoxx casts Flurry on Chronomatic Anomaly
00:00:06.828 Detoxx casts Ice Lance on Chronomatic Anomaly
00:00:07.374 Detoxx casts Icy Veins
00:00:11.023 Detoxx casts Frostbolt on Chronomatic Anomaly

This is pretty bad. Instead of just pressing random buttons at the start of the fight use the following opener:
@3 seconds of pull timer -prepot
@2 seconds of pull time - Ebonbolt
after Ebonbolt use icy veins, flurry, icelance, frozen orb, then move into your normal rotation.

BIG CDS:
Ebonbolt has a 45 second CD. You don't use it on pull and you really delay the cast.
Ebonbolt 1: @ 00:00:13.647 Detoxx begins casting Ebonbolt
Ebonbolt 2: @ 00:01:17.614 Detoxx begins casting Ebonbolt
Ebonbolt 3: @ 00:02:16.072 Detoxx begins casting Ebonbolt

Frozen Orb has a 1 minute CD. You don't use it on pull but it seems you did a bit better on using it than you did with Ebonbolt.

You casted Blizzard 8 times in the fight. I think you were using blizzard on single target? Unless you have the legendary belt don't use blizzard unless there are 2+ mobs.

You only used one potion during the fight. Tie the second potion up with your second Icy veins.

I recommend watching a few videos on how to double icelance. You can find a few online. Practice to do that as it will help you extend your IV which will really boost your damage.

Thats all I can see from now.
Detoxx

Unread postby Detoxx Sun May 07, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks for the reply. Since posting, I have read thingy's guide and have definitely boosted my DPS following that. I also got the legendary belt and the metronome so that's helping as well. I swapped the belt for the shoulders, do you think that's a good idea? At least for now, until I can get my tier robe, because I don't have any tier pieces either. I realize having DPS legos is optimal and i feel the belt and chest are my best at the moment. I also dont have any viable chest to switch it out with.
kickassZA

Unread postby kickassZA Sun May 07, 2017 3:54 pm

If you have the belt when on single target only use it @ 5 stacks. I guess the belt is rather annoying as it changes your play style to using blizzard on single target whereas you do nothing different with the frozen orb. Both are decent on single target.

I think chest is really great stat wise. Your chest set piece is really bad aswell. Probably the worst set piece to use. So personally I think i'd use the legendary chest piece till you can get some of the really nice stat wise pieces of chests. (I use Tunic of the smouldering Ire - crit stat on it is really good.) Obviously use a set piece if it helps you get to your 4th set piece bonus. As I had to use a 890 chest set piece till I got a heroic version of the shoulders.

Best of luck :)
Detoxx

Unread postby Detoxx Sun May 07, 2017 5:31 pm

So you would say the belt is a better option that the legendary shoulders? Because I know those are simming as the worst leg right now. Anyways, thanks for your help, I'm definitely on my way now!
kickassZA

Unread postby kickassZA Sun May 07, 2017 5:53 pm

I think I was high when I said "Both are decent on single target".

I mean they are no gloves, shard or bracers but its up to you man. If you want to start tracking the belt buff and using blizzard only at 5 stacks then go ahead. Also look at your other gear. If you have a higher iLvl belt than you have another shoulder it might be better to go with the belt. Also vice versa.

Whats the dps different between both on sims? :)
Detoxx

Unread postby Detoxx Wed May 10, 2017 4:51 am

So just in case you were wondering, I figured out my problem. I was not waiting the half second or so required before spells come off that short CD after casting. So when I was shattering an IL in the FB --> Flurry --> IL I actually wasn't casting IL at all, just clicking my keybinding LOL. Completely stupid mistake, but I've pushed up to 1.2 mil on single target, and settling around 700k until i can get better gear. So, there's that.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”