Re: [Frost] 4/10M need help with logs.

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Wed May 17, 2017 11:13 am

Logs from my most recent raid:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TLAvRrzY2pWVaKGh/" target="_blank

Profile:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... erspine/ve" target="_blankígar

Wow progress:
https://www.wowprogress.com/character/us/daggerspine/Ve" target="_blankígar

So I don't understand why I feel like I'm doing worse over time, and why I feel like I do much more damage in heroic as opposed to mythic (other than the obvious mechanics). I feel like I'm playing the same but there's a hard wall of ~600k DPS that I just can't pass in Mythic. I mean even when I open on a boss, my top is just 600k, so I don't know what it is.

I know I'm well below the crit cap of 33% (I'm 22%), but I haven't gotten new gear in forever, and I don't know how to even get gear that has enough crit to take me to 33%. I also follow simcraft's recommendations and it tells me that reaching the crit cap isn't as important, should I ignore that and just stack crit instead? How do I deal with the stat weights in that case?

Also, any other tips that you may have? I don't double IL, I was expecting it to be removed, but it looks like I'll have to go and practice at least shimmer IL on a dummy. I also don't have a WA to track Incanters flow or the Bracers buff, but that should be the sane between mythic and heroic.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
subtlexgaming

Unread postby subtlexgaming Wed May 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Forgive me for rambling and jumping all over the place, but I am going to try to help you out. I 99'd mythic Krosus, but I am no where near a top mage however I do see some things you can do better on.

Gearing: Don't go out of your way for 33% crit, however, it will be your best stat until you get to closer to 30-33% crit. Your strategy should be to try to keep crit/haste balanced and both over 20%(starting point) while mixing in versatility to boost dmg. If you're not getting raid gear, you should be doing as high of keys, up to +10's, as you can for mythic + loot. Save any decent pieces around current gear ilvl, with haste/versatility/crit in any combination. You'll find yourself swapping pieces in and out based on current stats. Make sure you're eating crit food(if no intellect feast). Basically try to get more crit, 22% is pretty damn low, but dont go all crit and leave your haste at sub 20% because of it.

Opener:At home I can check to see if you have gloves, but I'll assume you dont. Your opener should be prepot - ebonbolt cast with pull timer at 3 or 4. - Icy veins - Flurry - Ice lance(double IL if hero is popped and enough haste). Then you orb and use procs. During orb make sure you use any flurry procs immediately to prevent munching flurry procs.

From there its all a priority system..when you get a flurry proc make sure you (dump FoF) procs and then always Frostbolt into flurry procs into ice lance (double IL if you can). Try not to munch procs, dump ice lances as soon as you can between casts so when you get a flurry proc, you can FB - FLurry - Icelance. Try not to have downtime on boss, I saw a lot of that in your logs. Don't use personal's during GCD's unless its progression and you need to to stay alive or help healers. You basically want to always use your CDS on cooldown. Never delay orb or ebonbolt unless its only a few seconds before Icy veins is back up. If running warp ring, line that up with 2nd icy veins.

Advanced technique and something I do is, lets say double ice lancing after a flurry procs brings you into meele range because generally you shimmer lance or walk towards your target while double ice lancing. What I'll do is when I'm casting instants I'll walk backwards away from the boss and/or shimmer back away from the boss WHILE casting(otherwise there is downtime and you're losing dps). Example: Casting frostbolt and you get a flurry proc, you immediately had started another frostbolt cast, while its casting you shimmer out away from the boss while casting so your frostbolt crits from winters chill debuff. (Aim to be about 15 yards away from the boss, this is also important for casting ebonbolt WHEN YOU CAN). Don't lose boss dps downtime for it.

Dont worry about Weak Aura's for bracers and concordance and incanters flow. Treat all of these as passive dps buffs you can ignore. WA's I recommend is, haste % (learn what percent you can double IL at), for all of your cooldowns, 3rd FoF proc. Any WA that keeps you from dying to a mechanic on a boss fight.

Practice on a dummy each time you're in the class hall.

(Sorry for spelling errors/sentences that dont make sense lol) Good luck getting better. Everyone has to do it. #Tyler16649 if you have any questions.

-Subtlex
Veígar

Re: Re: [Frost] 4/10M need help with logs.

Unread postby Veígar Wed May 17, 2017 6:36 pm

So ignore Sims, stack crit while staying above 20 haste. Yes I eat crit food, 500 int feasts for mythic otherwise. I don't double IL, I need to practice that in front of a dummy.

The reason I have high downtime is because I'm assigned to the absolute back. Ideally if I double IL, I have to be assigned to the front. However my guild has issues with pitch soak mechanics and whatnot.

I have all legendaries except Ice Time. What legs should I use for M+? I was thinking bracers and possibly belt for big trash and swap to gloves or ring for bosses, but generally pulls are back to back with little down time and I don't see that the belt does very much. But I do notice with gloves my AoE/trash damage is poor (~700k), but my ST/boss is high(~900k). The other thing about farming M+ is the fact that all my BiS gear is basically in NH, I'd have to hope for a 910+ titanforge from a mythic plus run for a possible stat difference.

My opener is exactly as you said, 3-4 seconds prepot depending on how far I am from the boss. I understand the moving back mechanic between gcds, but I've never heard of shimmering back, only hopping back and casting FoF to move back when casting. Or moving between gcds. We are expected to move within 5-3 sec left before burning pitch comes out, and one of my IV and FO line up during the time I have to soak, so I have to hold onto those CDs. If I have FO up, I should probably hold ebonbolt so I don't munch procs too, correct?

I have a WA that tracks haste%, one that tells me what type of double IL I can do based on my haste, and one that tells me if I did a double IL successfully or not. I have to practice double IL in front of a dummy. Krosus is technically kind of still progression for us, we're barely above the enrage timer (less than 10 seconds left). can do mechanics fine, it's just I lose DPS doing them/it forces me to have downtime.

Edit: If I swap my gear around, I get 27.86 crit, 23.88 haste instead of 22.43 crit and 27.17 haste. This is using the ring (instead of the gloves) with bracers. Sim shows only a 4k dps difference though, and I played "better" with gloves when I got them which is why I stuck with them instead.

I also noticed using checkmywow and watching a replay that I cancel a lot of frostbolt casts for positioning so I'd have to work on that.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”