Rotation

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
IcesLord

Rotation

Unread postby IcesLord Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Mod edit: Moved to Q&A

Hi guys!
At the start i want to point in newbie and im playing mage for 2 weeks around.
Im little confused, because simulation says i should to 879k dps ( i know is in the best situation, without doing mechanics on bosses etc.)
and for example on goroth im doing 600-700k dps around. Im thinking the problem is in my rotation (ebon bolt > icy veins > bf>ice lance>frozen orb> frostbolt> fof and than frostbolts>fof>bf>fof ) My question is "is my rotation bad or where is my problem"

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... od/isivien
Jezrien

Re: Rotation

Unread postby Jezrien Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:28 am

Opener.
You can do it in 2 different ways:
1. Ebonbolt > IV > flurry > lance > shimmer lance > orb. In this case you can hit with 2 lances during debuff from flurry. Need some practice. Less useful without bracers.
2. Frostbolt > IV > orb > ebonbolt > lance. With this way you will have buffed ebonbolt damage from 2t20.
Rotation.
You don't have solid rotation but priorities:
If you have BF then cast fb > flurry > lance. Why? Chain reaction is not a big deal but nice buff to have uptime at least 70% and crit fb reduces your IV cd as well. Since BF can proc only from fb you can overlap it with spamming fbs and no consuming BFs. But sometimes there are situations you can't do this combo because you have FoF along with BF. If you have 1-2 FoF and you already started fb cast then finish it with the combo: you will have refreshed chain reaction for more damage from lances. But if you have another proc of BF and still some FoFs then just spend it immediately - FoF first, BF second without spamming fbs.
Also with orb active you can have quite lots of FoF procs. Which means you better give up fbs and just spam lances even if chain reaction ran off.
If you have just 1 FoF and BF always do fb combo because there are very little chances to much anything.

Your gear is also a problem: you should get more haste and vers at the expense of mastery. Your stats should be like 31-33% crit is enough, 26-28% haste, ~30% mastery and everything else in vers (~16%).
Also you should get 4t20 and 2t19 (shoulders and leggs). What legendaries you have? Just those you have on? Best legendaries set is bracers + exodar.

PS. best way to know where you fail is to record some logs: warcraftlogs.com and let people see it.
Indir

Unread postby Indir Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:12 pm

I have a question in those times. That you dont have any FOF or BF or something like that, what should i do 2 frosbolt one 1 ice lance?
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:35 pm

If you don't have any FoF or BF you just spam frostbolts until you get procs.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:42 pm

Opener.
You can do it in 2 different ways:
1. Ebonbolt > IV > flurry > lance > shimmer lance > orb. In this case you can hit with 2 lances during debuff from flurry. Need some practice. Less useful without bracers.
2. Frostbolt > IV > orb > ebonbolt > lance. With this way you will have buffed ebonbolt damage from 2t20.
Rotation.
You don't have solid rotation but priorities:
If you have BF then cast fb > flurry > lance. Why? Chain reaction is not a big deal but nice buff to have uptime at least 70% and crit fb reduces your IV cd as well. Since BF can proc only from fb you can overlap it with spamming fbs and no consuming BFs. But sometimes there are situations you can't do this combo because you have FoF along with BF. If you have 1-2 FoF and you already started fb cast then finish it with the combo: you will have refreshed chain reaction for more damage from lances. But if you have another proc of BF and still some FoFs then just spend it immediately - FoF first, BF second without spamming fbs.
Also with orb active you can have quite lots of FoF procs. Which means you better give up fbs and just spam lances even if chain reaction ran off.
If you have just 1 FoF and BF always do fb combo because there are very little chances to much anything.

Your gear is also a problem: you should get more haste and vers at the expense of mastery. Your stats should be like 31-33% crit is enough, 26-28% haste, ~30% mastery and everything else in vers (~16%).
Also you should get 4t20 and 2t19 (shoulders and leggs). What legendaries you have? Just those you have on? Best legendaries set is bracers + exodar.

PS. best way to know where you fail is to record some logs: warcraftlogs.com and let people see it.
I disagree with option 2 on an opener. If you cast Ebonbolt under orb you're munching the free IL shatter from the Winter's chill debuff because you're going to get a FoF charge from your orb cast before ebonbolt.

The difference between Pre-pot > Precast Ebonbolt > IV at end of Ebonbolt > Flurry > IL > Orb and the other common opener of tossing out Orb first with your IV cast at the start and a Frostbolt precast is like .5%-1% dps difference. So you can use the first opener if that's what you've been using this whole time before T20 and not lose anything really.
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:51 pm

2nd opener is mostly for those who run GS and/or Sfos.
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Pre-pot > Precast Ebonbolt > IV at end of Ebonbolt > Flurry > IL > Orb
Technically speaking, it's slightly more optimal for a human to do this opener as pre-pot > Precast Ebon > Flurry > IV asap > IL > Orb. It's better to do it this way, because both ebonbolt and flurry will still both benefit from Chilled to the Core, but you gain 2 benefits:
1) You don't have the human delay of using flurry after IV (it's possible to mess up shattering ebon doing it this way).
2) As long as your spells are still airborne (frost mage specific mechanic), their damage is dynamic. So you can get a slightly longer IV by delaying IV until just before flurry/ebon land. (In practice, just cast IV asap after ebon+flurry are both casted).

The one down-side of doing this method is that your global cooldown is not faster until you have IV up.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Assign IV and Flurry to a Macro? It helps to ensure a flawless string of GCDs when it counts the most.

#showtooltip
/cast Icy Veins
/use Tarnished Sentinel Medallion
/cast Flurry
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Pre-pot > Precast Ebonbolt > IV at end of Ebonbolt > Flurry > IL > Orb
Technically speaking, it's slightly more optimal for a human to do this opener as pre-pot > Precast Ebon > Flurry > IV asap > IL > Orb. It's better to do it this way, because both ebonbolt and flurry will still both benefit from Chilled to the Core, but you gain 2 benefits:
1) You don't have the human delay of using flurry after IV (it's possible to mess up shattering ebon doing it this way).
2) As long as your spells are still airborne (frost mage specific mechanic), their damage is dynamic. So you can get a slightly longer IV by delaying IV until just before flurry/ebon land. (In practice, just cast IV asap after ebon+flurry are both casted).

The one down-side of doing this method is that your global cooldown is not faster until you have IV up.
I didn't mean to imply you IV after ebonbolt is on it's way. I meant it as the cast of Ebonbolt is finishing pop IV. I should have clarified.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”