Frost dps help

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
oumpa

Frost dps help

Unread postby oumpa Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi

Recently started playing my mage more and trying to improve my dps. Would like any suggestions.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/rkmnba3B2GhWcYKQ/
oumpa

Re: Frost dps help

Unread postby oumpa Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:38 pm

Anyone use cool down macros? I keep forgetting about using icyveins and frost orb together among other things. Plus forgetting to use ebonbolt. Weakaura's to better keep track of when they are available to use or maybe tellmewhen?
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:54 am

I used to play with TWM since I started WoW and till the Antorus. Now I'm with WA.

About your performance (I took the 1st boss as an example):
Your stats are bad. Your first goal must be crit untill 33% or a bit less since you have injector. General stat priority looks like this: crit untill 30-33% (less than 33% if you have trinkets which can grant you crit) > haste=vers > mastery > crit after 33%.
Just 1 ebonbolt? Rly?
Also IV should be use in your opener: start pre cast EB at 4 or 3 (if you are afraid of pulling before tanks) > Flurry+IV (you can cast it at the same time since IV doesn't hit by GCD) > Lance > Orb...
When IV comes off cooldown you should sync it with your own BL + Orb. To do Orb and IV at the same time is pretty much important since you play with Thermal Void talent. But do not delay the orb too much, you can delay it if IV is about to get ready but if you have 30+ seconds then use your orb without a doubt.

You will see very good dps increase if you get your crit to 30-33%. Your next goal should be your opener, 2nd to do EBs asap, 3rd to sync your CDs...
oumpa

Unread postby oumpa Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Thank you for the reply

Strange the armory shows my crit at 29 percent but when I log in it shows me at 37.65. I will try to make sure to cast EB more, I keep forgetting about it and not paying attention to when it comes off CD.
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:48 am

If you have enough (or even more than enough) crit than it's 100% your mistakes with shattering spells.
There are 3 core situations:
1. Just a Brain Freeze proc. If you gain just BF after casting FBs then it simply goes like this: FB > Flurry > Lance.
2. Just Fingers of Frost. FB > Lance (or lances until you consume all FoF procs).
3. BF and FoF at the same time - still FB > Flurry > Lances, if after FB > Flurry you get another BF and still have some FoFs then consume all FoFs and go back to FB > Flurry. Such situation doesn't have perfect solution because in any case you will lose somewhere, so it's better just to focus on the basic shatter combo.
Shattering FBs is an important thing not just because of chain reaction uptime but reducing IV CD too.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”