Frost Help

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Wicked

Frost Help

Unread postby Wicked Fri May 30, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi,

I am looking for some help with my frost dps. I started playing a mage about midway through this expansion. I am in normal mode gear and went on my first heroic 25m raid this week and my dps was a lot lower than I was expecting. I was out dpsed by the other mage who is 2 ivls below me. My character name is Wickedsun.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... n/advanced" target="_blank Here is my armory.

Frost is my main spec. My opener is evocate, prepot (I know I forgot sometimes), mirror image, icy veins, bomb, frost orb, alter time. I use a lot of ice lances when I move. I have a weakauras that tells me when my evocate buff needs to be refreshed but looking at some of the fights, I need to do better at that. Otherwise, I spam frostbolt, use ice lance when I move, use frost orb on cooldown or when there are lots of adds (galakras trash) and try to line up my alter time with icy veins and mirror image when it comes back up again. I save alter time for bloodlust if I know it is coming at the end of the fight.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HWf ... &source=22" target="_blank Here is H malk kill. There are other bosses on this log if you want to look.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/MLr ... y&source=1" target="_blank Here is one of the H seige wipes. Others are on the log as well.

I would like to know how to improve and also how to better make use of my procs and snapshotting. Thank you for your time.
durrtygoodz

Re: Frost Help

Unread postby durrtygoodz Fri May 30, 2014 11:32 pm

I wrote my Malk/single target opener out on IV the other day, yours could definitely use tweaking. You want to bomb BEFORE IV since IV glyph doesn't add dmg to the bomb. Frozen Orb needs to come earlier as well - it doesn't snapshot your stats but rather it updates dynamically, so if it's the first spell you cast with no procs, you can maximize your other spells during cds and procs.
-4.5: Evo
-2.5: Mirror Image
-1.5: Pre pot frostbolt
-0: Frozen Orb + counterspell
1: Living Bomb
2: Icy Veins and frostbolt

At this point 3 things can happen and what you do next depends on the outcome:

1. PBoI procced right away, press AT and nuuuuuke
2. PBoI didn't proc, cast frostbolt to 5 icicles then if PBoI procced use AT
3. PBoI doesn't proc, just give up and walk away from the computer
So looking at the logs, you definitely need to get them uptimes up. 80% LB and 85% Invokers on Malkorok could be a lot higher. The main thing that made your dps absolutely plummet on that fight though was your ice lance usage. You had 19 FoF procs yet used Ice Lance NINETY times. You also missed 7 brain freeze procs.

Other than your LB/Invokers the main thing you need to work on is using Ice Floes and planning your movements better. Atm I think you're just spamming IL on the move and also moving way too much. If you look at the damage break down, your water elemental is topping your damage. This is because about 80 gcds in a 5 minute fight did almost 0 damage.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri May 30, 2014 11:42 pm

22:58:25.694 Wickedsun gains Expanded Mind from Wickedsun
22:58:29.219 Wickedsun's Expanded Mind fades from Wickedsun
You killed your PBoI proc on the opener, during Heroic Malk. This happens when PBoI procs during Alter Time. You should either wait for PBoI to proc, or cancelaura Alter Time in order to not lose out on 15 seconds of the powerful intellect buff.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Wicked

Unread postby Wicked Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Thank you for all the advice. I made my weakauras warning for trinket procs and evocation much more visable. I was hoping to post some improved logs, but the raid lockout was extended, so maybe next week.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”