Hellfire Citadel Mage Tips

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Conzole

Re: Hellfire Citadel Mage Tips

Unread postby Conzole Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:05 am

Anyone tried Evanesce on Infernal Tempest on Tyrant? Do you get knocked up or can you totally cheese it and not move?
Even if it worked it wouldn't last long enough to let you stand there the whole time. Pretty easy to just use IF and not lose uptime.
Ye, I guess you are right. Thought maybe it would last long enough if you used it just as the first one was about to pop.
Scort

Unread postby Scort Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:32 am

Most things I can think of have been mentioned but here's a few more:

Kormrok:

Evanesce works on everything, but is best used to soak empowered runes. It lasts long enough to run into the first one and the second that spawns from soaking the first. If everyone does it perfectly that should be good enough, but you can save ginvis as a backup in case something goes wrong.

Fel Lord:

Using one mage alternating Evanesce and Greater Invis simplifies cavitations a lot. You can never soak a pillar but you free up someone else to do so at any time.

Gorefiend:

Use Glyph of Slow and AB each construct for the slow. You could cast it manually but I don't find it necessary.

Archimonde: Glyph of Slow is also useful here for the shadowfiend things that spawn if you're assigned to them and they're not getting one shot.
Puru

Unread postby Puru Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:29 am

On Archimonde, u can soak and blink the knockback from the orb, inside Nether Banish. You have to time it right and might need a bit of practise, but doable.
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Added a tip for Mythic Gorefiend as discussed in IRC today.
Zelendria

Unread postby Zelendria Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:27 pm

Archimonde

Another way of dealing with Stars is to Alter Time it.
Faustkampf

Unread postby Faustkampf Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Does this include having the latent energy debuff or will it still explode?
We used only mages without the debuff, but I can try this tonight.
It doesn't work. The explosion still triggers.
waltert111

Unread postby waltert111 Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:28 am

This is my opinion since release and using T182P, clearing 12/13N, 6/13H.

HFA
Frost- Icy veins lines up perfectly with Martak, and both artillery so be sure to use it immediately upon pull. Avoid PC because it is too unreliable with all of the movement. Either Nova or UM should be fine here. Possibly have to glyph elemental, mine kept dying on heroic. UM/IF/TV

Reaver
General - Try to save GI for the time you get unstable and fel flame debuffs. Evanesce works great on artillery, I believe it doesnt even hit raid when you use it.
Frost - UM, IF, PC, possibly nova if your having trouble with dps on bombs.

Council
General - Alter time the reaps and if fixated.
Frost - UM, RoP, PC

Kilrogg
General- RoP is the best option here. Evanesce is superior here because it takes no dmg from heartseeker and you receive no debuff, globule still spawns. GI removes heartseeker DoT if you manage to still get hit.
Frost - Only used UM, but Nova could be better with the 2 sec root on adds. UM/RoP/PC

Kormrok
General- Evanesce works well on runes, especially if frost because you are already highly mobile and dont necessarily need ice floes.
Frost- Take ice nova, IF, PC. Have two charges of nova, frozen orb, and PC up for empowered hands. Glyph double blink if on rune duty.

Gorefiend
General - More testing needed on whether to take MI, RoP, IF. RoP could be viable due to >45sec feasts?
Frost - Ice Nova could be better than UM to kill constructs.

Iskar
General - My guild moves back and forth from two positions in this fight, so RoP is superior for me in this case. Alter time is good here for winds.
Frost - Depending on DPS you may need to save PC for the first air phase. I currently can frozen orb and as soon as its off CD he goes to air phase so using PC at the start would be bad for me. Save IV for 1st and 3rd air phases. Ive found frost bomb works well on the first air phase, not as good on the second, and just slightly better on the third. I tend to still take UM in this case. UM/RoP/PC

Sorcrethar
General - Make a mouseover macro for all of the target switching in this fight. You will likely be switching from the casters, to dominator, to sorcrethar, many times. If your robot user is good, RoP is good here too.
Frost-

Tyrant
General - This fight is funny because the first 1/3 you are not moving at all, and the last 1/3 you don't stop moving. I still think MI is lackluster and tend to go with the safe bet of IF. The only reason I use TV here is because of the craziness of P3 and the boss moving around so much. Save 3m CDs for the start of P2.
Frost- UM/IF/TV
Last edited by waltert111 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:44 am

Thank you for those tips. I have updated the OP
Grazer

Unread postby Grazer Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:58 am

On Kilrogg I experienced something frustrating last night. After coming out of the Death Vision I regularly destroyed my PC ~3-5 seconds before despawning (it only has 10M hp). I haven't done any calculations on that note but I can imagine that Overpower and maybe even glyphed AP might be good because it would allow us to burn for almost the entire duration with the +400% damage buff.
Breaktheice

Unread postby Breaktheice Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:17 pm

Just some contribution from what I've observed.

+ For Frost, Mirror Image is insanely close to Incanter's Flow in damage on paper, but will probably win on actual single target encounters should you spend any GCDs on non offensive casts (like Blink, Invi/Greater Invi, Ice Block, etc.). MI will pull ahead if you don't have close to a 100% up-time on offensive cast, which is hard to do even with Ice Floes. That and MI can pull off an amazing burst coupled with Icy Veins (they inherit Multistrike) for any strong DPS-check phase of any single target fight.

+ Also for Frost, it is actually almost never worth it from a DPS perspective to use Freeze over Water Jet once you get 4 PC, even if the fight has adds that can be hit with Freeze. The only exception is if you need the root from Freeze (like Socrethar ghosts) for CC in your group.
Chuk

Unread postby Chuk Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:47 pm

I REALLY don't agree with use of PC on frost fights. Not even a single one. With 4p set you can extend IV for so long that sometimes it lasts for a full minute if you use the 14 sec cast + orb correctly. Plus it sims higher on 2+ target fights (most of the fights that you go frost are this scenario) so i really advise not using PC at all unless the fight is full single target (in which you should be going arcane anyway)
Stressball

Unread postby Stressball Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:29 pm

I REALLY don't agree with use of PC on frost fights. Not even a single one. With 4p set you can extend IV for so long that sometimes it lasts for a full minute if you use the 14 sec cast + orb correctly. Plus it sims higher on 2+ target fights (most of the fights that you go frost are this scenario) so i really advise not using PC at all unless the fight is full single target (in which you should be going arcane anyway)
Very much agree. Most of the gain from PC as Frost is the added cleave you get when you have only one target. With 2+ target you really only gain the 10% modifier, so PC should be strictly single target as Frost.
Breaktheice

Unread postby Breaktheice Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Problem with PC and Frost is the only hard hitting spell into it is IL via FoF provided you cleave, so it hits for 160% but everything else hits for just 110%. I don't like it either. Risk is way too high given the amount of bonus damage it deals versus the other talents. The second issue I have with PC is that usually on the pull by the time you get 4 FoF your trinkets (if you run with BRF trinkets still) are nearly gone which just sucks. :oops: Not so much an issue with HFC trinkets (Mannoroth + Archie) but definitely something to look out for if you're still gearing.

I think Thermal Void is a solid default given how the 4 PC allows for 50% more Water Jet and an insane number of FoFs. Comet isn't bad, but it doesn't really gel with the 4 PC at all. Plus the fact that it lacks charges means you really have to absolutely use it as it comes off cooldown, which isn't always practical.

I'm just curious, does cleaving onto a target with Mannoroth trinket debuff (which is basically a Frost Bomb) actually proc the explosion? :?:
Intervir

Unread postby Intervir Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:10 am

Boss: Gorefiend
General:
- Use Alter Time before the Mark of Doom falls off. Run over an existing pool to save space.

I like to jump off the plataform

Xyren

Unread postby Xyren Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:12 pm

youre doing it wrong ;) use alter time if u get the debuff, before it ends blink to edge and jump off + cancel. This saves u much more time and dps :) . Doesnt make sense to run to the edge first !
Intervir

Unread postby Intervir Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:48 pm

That`s true. I was afraid to run off the AT's range. Gonna try it next raid
wolsku

Unread postby wolsku Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:31 am

I feel like the OP shouldn't pick up all that is said in the comments because some players might look here and see some talents that aren't really that good when thinking about it. Like for example "PC is great on the 35% burnphase on mannoroth" yes of course it is since it's our best talent for pure single target but overall, pc won't be as useful/good as Arcane orb on that fight. So to be more precise, i'd like the thread to be more about what is a must/good to have on X boss for Y reason and not some statement about a certain phase of a certain encounter.
<From Scratch> 13/13M, Sargeras
My Mage's Armory
waltert111

Unread postby waltert111 Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:16 am

It will evolve into that eventually. If you notice everything I posted stated I was using T18 2P. Still quite early with 6.2 so expect to see concrete things in the future.
Blutastic

Re: Hellfire Citadel Mage Tip

Unread postby Blutastic Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:08 pm

Tyrant velhari as Frost:
IV is very useful not only cause all movement in third phase as the first post says atm - if you have T18-4set you can use water jet as opener and pop IV when you got 4 stacks of FoF, then continue with generating for procs until water jet has ended and after that frozen orb and then water jet is off cooldown. If you are lucky you still have iv up when water jet is up a third time. I've had iv up for atleast a minute this way and sometimes even 1.30 minutes. Iv is usually up until the first add is almost dead. Though - note that i dont have the mage trinket, which means i dont alternate frostbolt (this might mean that extending iv for this long is not optimal)

This is probably viable for other fights, xhulhorac for example, but i havent tried it yet.
Crystalyz

Unread postby Crystalyz Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:32 am

youre doing it wrong ;) use alter time if u get the debuff, before it ends blink to edge and jump off + cancel. This saves u much more time and dps :) . Doesnt make sense to run to the edge first !
There's no point jumping off - me and the hunters were doing that, then observed that the defile actually comes back up like 10 seconds later, so you might as well just overlap them instead of doing that.

Alter time is useful during the Feast of Souls Mythic, alter time, blink and soak a soul, alter time back.

Iskar
-You can Greater Invis off the Fel Chakram which causes it to not go out - similar to people smoke bombing it until it got hotfixed.

Xhul'Horac - Mythic
-You can evanesce the cast of Fel Chains and Empowered Fel Chains if it's targeted on you, causing chains to not go out.
-Don't play fire for this, you only look good until 45%, then both mini bosses are gone. Play arcane/frost and kill the Unstable Voidfiends

Return to “General Discussion”