Hellfire Citadel Mage Tips

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Xyren

Re: Hellfire Citadel Mage Tips

Unread postby Xyren Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 pm

i just said he could do it that way since he considered jumping off. im not doing that anyways. Still u should use alter time on the debuff if u get it to maximize add dps. its 1m cd and will be back for feast of souls anyways
Tilo

Unread postby Tilo Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:46 pm

For Fel Lord Zakun:

If you have glyph of ice block the buff you gain when IB wears off (glyph of ice block) enables you to soak a wave even if you have latent energies - without triggering and explosion or taking damage.

Useful in emergency situations, especially at enrage.
Colakarola

Unread postby Colakarola Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:45 pm

Are there any boss specific advices which trinkets to use?
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:29 am

Are there any boss specific advices which trinkets to use?
Don't use PoF on Gorefiend Mythic but that is all ready in the list of tips.
Rabona

Unread postby Rabona Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:16 am

Trinkets are rather simple, aren't they? In general you probably want to have Tome, Prophecy and Gaze. With Frost you always want to always use Tome and one of the other two trinkets, which sim almost equally. With Arcane Tome mainly gives you short windows of ST burst and nothing in-between, so if your raid has trouble focusing additional adds down you want to replace it with Gaze.

assuming you have G+T+P to choose from:
HFA - [A] G+P
IR - [A] T+P - prolly switch out Tome if you raid sucks at killing bombs, or you could save AP for the air phase and go ham
Kromrok - [A] T+P - switch out Tome if your raid lacks hand damage
Council - I assume you'll be playing frost
Killrog - [A] T+P, again prolly better to switch to G+P if adds are a big issue
Gorefiend - [A] T+G since P can mess the fight up. Prolly want to switch out Tome too if you're lacking add damage
Iskar - [A] G+P, though a case could be made for Tome if your setup is too aoe-centered
Socretar [A] T+P, if adds are an issue G+P
Zakuun [A] T+P
Tyrant Frost
Xhul [A] G + P
Haven't really looked at the last two fights on mythic yet, but since there are al lot of adds involved I assume you want to switch out Tome if you're playing Arcane on those too.
Lavok

Unread postby Lavok Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Iskar - [A] G+P, though a case could be made for Tome if your setup is too aoe-centered
On mythic Tome would be preferred if your group tries to bypass the Resonance by killing it before the first cast of bindings is goes off. In that scenario the AOE damage is irrelevant.
Nuovo

Unread postby Nuovo Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 pm

So if I use Evanesce to dodge artillery; will it still explode to people around me?
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:01 pm

So if I use Evanesce to dodge artillery; will it still explode to people around me?
No
Seilune

Unread postby Seilune Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:50 am

Kormrock

You can use Evanescence just before the channeling of Dragging Hands ends. You will not get caught by the hand.
Rabona

Unread postby Rabona Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Obviously dodging damage is always nice, but in reality hands won't kill you anyway and the damage will be healed up mostly with AE effects, so you barely safe your healers any mana (if any).
If you are on rune duty that's one thing, but otherwise I think the damage loss from not having ice floes can hurt your raid a lot more than the hand damage.
At least in my personal experience.

I feel kinda similar on using Evanesce on Iron Reaver. You can easily dodge Barrage with Ice Floes and use Ice Block on Artillery (with blink + AT as a back up if you get unlucky). Evanesce offers a lot of comfort in p1, but at the same time it also makes you immobile in p2 (imho the critical phase of the encounter during progression) when you have to dodge the fuel streak, when you have to get in range of bombs, when the boss or the camps reposition or when the fire gets pushed towards you.
However it's actually nice when you have the boss on farm and want to squeeze out the last point of DpS, since it makes using RoP really easy in p1.
Piecez

Unread postby Piecez Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:54 am

Going to be doing Mythic Xhul'horac progression next reset, seeing videos of mages/hunters baiting empowered chains of fel and Evanesce/Ginvising it off. Any clue on how to "bait" it out? Does it just target the furthest player or cluster of players?
Roggendorf

Unread postby Roggendorf Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:23 pm

@Piecez, we found that, in general, Xhul'horac will target one player out of the largest clump of players that is not in melee range. So if you have 3 mages standing ~15 yards from the boss and everyone else in melee range, he will always select one of those 3 mages. Use the weakauras that Rinoa provided in another thread (http://pastebin.com/UQiXjK7e" target="_blank and http://pastebin.com/zRvGc2jp" target="_blank, changing the target name to your name) to detect when Xhul is casting on you so you can Evanesce.

Edit: ginvis will just make him restart the Chains cast on another target. But you can use it if things go wrong and you have to snap chains that were casted.
adrift

Unread postby adrift Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Trinkets are rather simple, aren't they? In general you probably want to have Tome, Prophecy and Gaze. With Frost you always want to always use Tome and one of the other two trinkets, which sim almost equally. With Arcane Tome mainly gives you short windows of ST burst and nothing in-between, so if your raid has trouble focusing additional adds down you want to replace it with Gaze.

assuming you have G+T+P to choose from:
HFA - [A] G+P
IR - [A] T+P - prolly switch out Tome if you raid sucks at killing bombs, or you could save AP for the air phase and go ham
Kromrok - [A] T+P - switch out Tome if your raid lacks hand damage
Council - I assume you'll be playing frost
Killrog - [A] T+P, again prolly better to switch to G+P if adds are a big issue
Gorefiend - [A] T+G since P can mess the fight up. Prolly want to switch out Tome too if you're lacking add damage
Socretar [A] T+P, if adds are an issue G+P
Zakuun [A] T+P
Tyrant Frost
Xhul [A] G + P
Haven't really looked at the last two fights on mythic yet, but since there are al lot of adds involved I assume you want to switch out Tome if you're playing Arcane on those too.
You definitely want to use Tome for arcane on both Mythic Manno and Arch. Manno needs burst single target DPS on Doomlords. For Arch, the only reason to play it over Frost is for burning down Doomfire spirits. You get 3 in P1 and AP is up for 2/3 so its great for that job.
Piecez

Unread postby Piecez Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:58 pm

@Piecez, we found that, in general, Xhul'horac will target one player out of the largest clump of players that is not in melee range. So if you have 3 mages standing ~15 yards from the boss and everyone else in melee range, he will always select one of those 3 mages. Use the weakauras that Rinoa provided in another thread (http://pastebin.com/UQiXjK7e" target="_blank and http://pastebin.com/zRvGc2jp" target="_blank, changing the target name to your name) to detect when Xhul is casting on you so you can Evanesce.

Edit: ginvis will just make him restart the Chains cast on another target. But you can use it if things go wrong and you have to snap chains that were casted.
Thanks a ton :D
Frantik

Unread postby Frantik Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:30 pm

So Nether tempest is not worth it in any of the fights of this raid tier?
Rettep

Unread postby Rettep Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Depends on your raid. I use nether tempest on xhulhorac mythic, because we have more than enough burst aoe to kill imps, but if you need extra interrupt or dmg you should go supernova there.
Rettep <Ecology> Kazzak
HM 7/7M, BRF 10/10M, HFC 13/13M

Armory
Guild Armory
Guild Website
Stailook

Unread postby Stailook Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:20 am

Gorefiend: Use Ice Block if you want to remove the Mark of Doom so u don't have to move n.n
Rettep

Unread postby Rettep Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Xhulhorac: you can invis the green and purple debuff (it will explode and deal dmg around, but it will not spawn the field, so just walk a couple of yard away and invis or if you are on chain duty you pretty much can insta invis).
Rettep <Ecology> Kazzak
HM 7/7M, BRF 10/10M, HFC 13/13M

Armory
Guild Armory
Guild Website
Glitzerbling

Unread postby Glitzerbling Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:21 pm

I'll just add some fire tips to close the gaps.

Reaver:
Cold snap; Blast Wave; Incanters Flow; Prismatic Crystal.
-stick to reinforced bombs, using DB and BW for burning/quickfuse

Kormrok:
Cold Snap; Blast Wave; Incanters; Meteor.
-you can Combust before he jumps with meteor. so that you dont have to place PC without proccs. beeing a short fight, maximising the opener seems worth it for me.
-use Cold snap for the double DB on the Hands. (instant 2M dmg)
-meteor lines up with the hands perfectly. with combustion up no hands, without combustion its hands. (burn dmg dot +Gaze, yummie)

Council:
Cold Snap; Blast Wave; Prismatic Crystal;
-I prefer Incanters over RoP here, since we have to move in for the DB, but i guess with good planning you can prolly bring in a very good RoP uptime
-basically useless for the mirror images, just hit something else and use BW/DB for Images

Killrogg:
Cold Snap; Blast Wave; RoP; Prismatic Crystal
-you are basically a melee on this fight. (you hit the same targets as melee and stand in melee camp behind boss)
-the +%dmg is REALLY good for fire, since combustion.

Gorefiend:
Cold Snap; Blast Wave; Incanters; PC
-dont play Fire on Gorefiend.

Iskar:
CS; LB; IF; Met
-LB cleaves back, giving you quite good dmg on the focustargets in the transitions.
-Met afterburn hits like a truck on so many adds
-double DB for the first and third transition.

Soc:
CS; LB; IF; Met; no comb glyph
-you can essentially solo the ghosts with this in 20m, with only the fire to support you

CS; BW; RoP; PC
-maximum Boss dps.
-Double DB at pull and third (?) Dominator

Xhul:
CS; LB; IF; Kind
-maximum dps throughout p1-3. quite low on 4 though. p4 no imps.
-swap out LB for BW or UM if you have problems finishing the last phase before raid cds run out.

Velhari:
CS; BW; IF; PC
-hit boss for maximum profit
-wait second pc for second add, for maximum combustion dps. (also prolly ring and lust used there)

Mannoroth:
CS; BW; IF; PC
-unfortunately IB doesnt expand around Mannoroth. dont expect to spread dots from Mannoroth onto anything thats not directly underneath him.
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:26 am

Thank you for the fire tips. I have added them to the OP.

Return to “General Discussion”