Double-Dipping on Fire Shoulders and Frost Helm?

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
isaac2314

Double-Dipping on Fire Shoulders and Frost Helm?

Unread postby isaac2314 Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Greetings,
While I was surfing other WoW forums I came across a claim that you can, in the right circumstances, cause the new Fire and Frost legendaries to proc two times for each buff:
For the Fire shoulders, you would wait until you receive the 30th cast buff. Then, you use Fire Blast/Phoenix's Flames to get a Hot Streak, and cast a fireball followed immediately by the instant-cast Pyroblast. This is said to work at 20+ yards.
For the Frost helm, you wait until you receive the 15th cast buff while saving up a Brain Freeze. Then, you cast a Frostbolt followed immediately by a buffed Flurry.

Since I don't have the Frost helm I couldn't test that one, but here's the log where I tried using the Fire shoulders, where you can clearly see pairs of Meteors hitting at the exact same time (at 0:49, 1:41, 2:36, 4:24 and 5:17.) In fact, you can see at 5:17-18 where THREE Meteors hit the dummy in the span of two seconds.
(There's also another log here on the PTR during the server maintenance.)

I don't really know how this affects legendary priorities or whether or not it's practical at all for Frost, but since I couldn't find anyone mentioning this anywhere else I thought I'd make a post.

PS: Incidentally, I don't know if the Meteor Burn debuff really stacks, but here's a screenshot of the three Meteors.

EDIT: Here's a log where someone succeeded in pulling off double CMS with one helm buff, although many people on discord (including the person who logged this) said this is generally too problematic and unreliable to use.
Norinar

Re: Double-Dipping on Fire Shoulders and Frost Helm?

Unread postby Norinar Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:28 am

Read this yesterday and just started testing it for fire:

It works! I guess it wont be stronger than belt/bracers but could be a better choice than the shard if you can use it in a raid properly. Will test that tonight and log it.

After a 10 minute test i had like ~85% success (somehow it seems not to work with bracer pyro + instant pyro) and like 11% meteor dmg.
Octavia

Unread postby Octavia Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:07 am

Due to this being a bug I would suggest not to exploit it too much as that is against terms of service but I would still like to know how it works for the frost one, after doing some testing myself I couldn't find anyway to reproduce it at all and if there was a guide at all I would love to see it.
Potaetoe

Unread postby Potaetoe Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:16 pm

This bug isn't much different than double lancing back in NH. I sincerely doubt anything will happen to people who use it. As for a guide, I think Ez or someone else posted a youtube video up. Not sure who, and I do not know if it's in a post.
Syana

Unread postby Syana Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:29 pm

It works! I guess it wont be stronger than belt/bracers but could be a better choice than the shard if you can use it in a raid properly.
If you run a more crit/haste oriented build then the shoulders already sim higher so I believe this could very likely outperform belt. But the mobility you gain from the belt shouldn't be underestimated.

Return to “General Discussion”