Prismatic Crystal sucks!

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Qyietstorm

Prismatic Crystal sucks!

Unread postby Qyietstorm Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:56 am

I would really like to avoid using PC but if it is the best in terms of dps output I'll most likely stick it out. From the last sims I've seen, I remember people on the forums saying PC is best. Is this still true? If so, does anyone have any really good weakauras as well?

Thanks
----
Magiclol

Re: Prismatic Crystal sucks!

Unread postby Magiclol Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:05 am

I don't have any Sims or logs to support it, but Midwinter posted their logs from the Blizzcon raid competition and their Mages were using it.

I believe it will come down to a fight by fight basis on if you use it or not, but if a boss is tanked in place long enough, it seems to take the cake. Sorry mate.
Magiclol

Unread postby Magiclol Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:07 am

I would just keep your cool until more balancing comes out. You will never know when another talent, or spec for that matter, will become king after Dec 2nd.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:58 am

I would just keep your cool until more balancing comes out. You will never know when another talent, or spec for that matter, will become king after Dec 2nd.
Essentially this.

That said, Prismatic Crystal has always been strong under ideal conditions. In practice it depends on the fight, your raid strats, and many other factors.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Berlinia

Unread postby Berlinia Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:58 am

I came to this thread thinking you meant PC's numbers suck
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:01 pm

For Frost sim only show PC superior only in single target. With more target, it's Thermal Void that give the best result.
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of it either. I'll use what I have to, but I'd imagine that boss placement and learning fights during progression will make its ideal use more difficult, and TV may be better in actual raids due to that.

But we hopefully do have some tuning coming, so we'll have to see.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Kerbs

Unread postby Kerbs Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Doesn't PC double dip on logs and skada ect, meaning effective DPS is lower than what you see?
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:22 pm

Doesn't PC double dip on logs and skada ect, meaning effective DPS is lower than what you see?
It should have been fixed month ago.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Cross-posting what I wrote at MMO-C regarding PC double dipping on Skada.
Apparently, some changes that Blizzard made regarding addon APIs made Skada once again double dip on Prismatic Crystal, some time after double dipping was fixed during beta. To be exact, they changed the GUID formatting, which caused Skada's filter to stop working. In layman terms, Blizzard changed the "computerized name" of Prismatic Crystal in game, which confused Skada when trying to recognize Prismatic Crystal.

According to the change log on the Curse addon page, this has now been fixed:

Code: Select all

r583 | funkydude | 2014-11-11 21:32:37 +0000 (Tue, 11 Nov 2014) | 1 line Changed paths: M /trunk/modules/Damage.lua Damage: fix prismatic crystal guid format.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Azo

Unread postby Azo Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:54 am

I like prismatic crystal. I've to anticpate when the boss is to be moved or not. It's not a; press a button close your eyes talent. In some situations it's horrible but I don't expect any talent to be good in all situations. ON most bosses in 5-man dungeons I think it's fine.
Erebzion

Unread postby Erebzion Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:06 pm

To be fair i've been testing all variants thus far and with guild tanks PC is solid as. Basically once you tank doesn't run away when you pop it on a boss/trash pack its good stuff. As said a few times, come raid bosses and the likes it'll shine I reckon. I've gone with TV for now either way as with lucky procs you can get anywhere from 6-10 seconds extra of 45% multi-strike :D
Berlinia

Unread postby Berlinia Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:55 am

For Frost sim only show PC superior only in single target. With more target, it's Thermal Void that give the best result.
That might be true with sims, but you can only use Icy Veins once per 3 minutes, whereas you can use PC once per 1.5 minute. For CM's I reckon PC > TV
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:50 am

Did you know that TV can be extend indefinitly as long as you cast IL on something. Isn't CM all about chaining mob ?

But the choice of T100 for a specific situation can't be tell by simulation. Simulation is good for raid. So pvp, leveling, dungeon, etc can't be decided over simulation.
I choose to run with CmS most of the tome because it have a short CD and can be cast while moving.

But back to PC: isn't they just resolve some issue with it ?
Berlinia

Unread postby Berlinia Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 am

Didn't they cap TV? If not then I'll try it next raid.
Soggs
Global Moderator

Unread postby Soggs Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:17 am

An Ice Lance will always add 2 seconds duration to IV. If that would bring IV to a duration above 30 seconds then IV is set to 30 seconds instead. Other than that there are currently no limitations.
Shoot me a pm if you want me to elaborate on my crazy thoughts. I sometimes lose track of what I actually meant to say.

"The game isn't as simple as you."

Currently caught up in a game called Real Life. Activity may suffer from this.
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:50 am

Did you know that TV can be extend indefinitly as long as you cast IL on something. Isn't CM all about chaining mob ?
Actually CMs is all about insane AoE burst most of the time. PC gives you more of that over the other two talents.
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Strange as PC is only split damage. When IV can provide +45% ms to all spell so frozen orb/IL/blizzard rotation should lead to some rrpeatable burst aoe.
Imnick

Unread postby Imnick Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:35 pm

PC gives you almost no AOE burst, as it doesn't do real AOE damage. Having it hit more than one target is something that should make you frown, not smile.
The best you can say is that it makes Ice Nova or Frost Bomb 10% stronger for a short duration, but Thermal Void will do that far better.

The fact that Comet Storm (and meteor) and Focusing Crystal both look like AOE spells and deal damage in an area, but under no circumstances do you want them to hit several targets is incredibly annoying and I feel makes a poor design. They should either make Prismatic Crystal/Comet Storm into single target abilities which place a debuff on the target, and drop a string of comets directly onto the target, or stop making those talents split damage by the number of targets hit.

It's very unintuitive to cast something that chains arcane explosions or looks very much like Blizzard, but do the same amount of damage regardless of how many targets you hit (rather than the expected more per targets hit).
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:54 pm

There a few design problem with level 100.
If they change them to do AoE then they will the same than L75.
They can change it to be like MoP bomb (st, 2-4 & aoe), it will work good. The actual design for PC is this way : very good in st because of the cleave. But in this case, what to do with CmS ?

All in all, it's the question of the design choise and what are there expected role.

Return to “General Discussion”