Welcome to AT! Who are you? (Self Intro Thread)

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Garrod

Re: Welcome to AT! Who are you? (Self Intro Thread)

Unread postby Garrod Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Didn't see this thread here. I'm Garrod on Velen Horde(originally from Bonechewer, just recently transferred to a new guild after my old one finally died)and I've been maining a Mage since the beginning of ToT, and raiding normals with him since Firelands. I started playing WoW back in June 2004 during the closed Beta(first character was actually a Mage) and mained a Rogue through Vanilla all the way into Naxx40. When TBC dropped I swapped mains to play a Paladin and was the token Ret Paladin from SSC/TK all the way up through Heroic DS. I currently raid with Shade of Arrows on Velen Horde 25 14/14H, and we run with 4 Mages at the moment. 2 Fire, 1 Frost, and 1 Arcane and we all compete pretty well. Feels good seeing all 3 specs performing competitively. Been keeping up with things on MMO-C so I naturally moved over here as soon as the site went up. It feels good to actually have an entire site devoted to the Mage Class now and I see it being a huge help with just ensuring that MoP Beta doesn't happen to Mages again, let alone getting Mages off to a better start in WoD.

Outside of WoW, I live in Northern California and I'm a Wind Turbine Technician by trade. Prior to that I was in the US Navy and operated/maintained the Tomahawk Weapon Control System.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... d/advanced Fire for Mythic Raiding
<Side Project> 7/7 Mythic Highmaul 5/10 Mythic Blackrock Foundry
Luchtain

Unread postby Luchtain Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:10 am

Luchtain here. Currently on Garona, though I started on Frostwolf and have played on Blackrock, Silvermoon, Arthas, Stormrage, and Malygos. Have also played under under the names Jeryk, Jaeryk, Mortair, and Aedh. All of this moving is due to being military until recently, and having to always play catch up and chase friends. I've been playing since 2006, though I no longer have my original accounts. With the exception of early Naxx and Ulduar, deployments, training and other military concerns have kept me from doing what I really want to do: Raid. Even in Naxx and Ulduar I had to drop out before my team could finish. Now I'm out and getting settled into a job, so I plan to finally earn my keep in a raid.
Oh, and I stick to fire and dabble in arcane when needed. I've loathed frost ever since some rando gave me a long speech about how I'll never amount to anything unless I went frost back around level 30.
My favorite moment on my mage: chilling on top of the inn in Gadgetzan at level 40 with a fellow mage Ragemore, both wearing nothing but guild tabards and Pyro-PomPyro wrecking level 60s. We had that town on lockdown for weeks.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:13 am

Prior to that I was in the US Navy and operated/maintained the Tomahawk Weapon Control System.
:shock:

Please don't send one through my apartment.
Luchtain here. Currently on Garona, though I started on Frostwolf and have played on Blackrock, Silvermoon, Arthas, Stormrage, and Malygos. Have also played under under the names Jeryk, Jaeryk, Mortair, and Aedh. All of this moving is due to being military until recently, and having to always play catch up and chase friends. I've been playing since 2006, though I no longer have my original accounts. With the exception of early Naxx and Ulduar, deployments, training and other military concerns have kept me from doing what I really want to do: Raid. Even in Naxx and Ulduar I had to drop out before my team could finish. Now I'm out and getting settled into a job, so I plan to finally earn my keep in a raid.
Welcome aboard!
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Mageski

Unread postby Mageski Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Hello, been here a while, but just saw this thread.

As the username suggests, my main is Mageski on US-Eldre'Thalas. I started raiding during Wrath and switched mains to my Mage sometime early in ICC. I'm an altoholic, currently at 12 90s (Horde/Alliance mages, then one of each) and I haven't used my WoD boost. All of my 90s are on ET with the exception of my alliance Mage on Whisperwind. I've been die hard fire for all of MoP, up until 5.4, currently raiding 10 mans in Frost at 585, working on H Blackfuse. As needed, I also tank as a Guardian druid or fill in on our second team with my Warlock.

Beyond raiding, I love getting down and doing some number crunching and basically just trying to min/max and learn as much as I can about every class that I play.
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:07 pm

Welcome!
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

I solve problems. Have a problem? Send me a PM!
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 am

Hey guys,

Nick here, all the way from south-east asia, playing on US-Thaurissan. Been playng my mage since BC, and I've been through most of the specs since I started; Arcane in BC, Fire in wrath, Frost/Arcane/Fire in cata before settling to Frost in MoP.

I'm a pretty casual player, usually just clearing normals and a smattering of Heroics, and with a daughter coming along, I don't see that changing. However, I really love to read TCs and the Maths involved, and I've been lurking in one form or another most mage forums, so it's been interesting to see and experience the mage class from the beginning.

Also, as one of the older mage players (age-wise), I tend to be cautiously optimistic about changes to the mages (I do get branded as a Blizz fanboy more than once)and really, really get annoyed when people exaggerate or blow things out of proportions.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello finally, and looking forward to all the TCs :)
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:47 am

Hey, welcome! I'm glad to see more people from the SEA region and China making their way to us.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

dragonray

Unread postby dragonray Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:08 am

Intro post from another person :)

Hi *wave*,
My name is Dragonray, I have been playing a mage (moderately ok) since Vanilla. I got hooked into raiding after I hit 60 an have been obssessed with raiding ever since. I enjoy the teamwork needed to defeat bosses, it is different sort of problem solving and attention required than everyday problems, and that makes it enjoyable for me. I don't care (never have) about lootz other than to help out the team, I enjoy the actual kill - especially the first one :)

I have raided in every expansion (some long breaks in between) and I am pretty excited for Warlords to drop.
I started as frost, played fire, then arcane and am now frost again. it is my favourite spec (I do like fire as well) and I really want to play it well.

I blog about my WoW time because I like to remember the milestones we have in game - after playing for so long, all the little things we love about the game can be easy to forget and swamped with the bad things. I like to keep it in perspective :)

Can't wait to chat to you all more, and i am so glad we have a place to gather!!

Dragonray
Last edited by dragonray on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 am

Hey, welcome! I'm glad to see more people from the SEA region and China making their way to us.
Haha, unlike zhengma, I play on the US (oceanic) servers, so I'm not sure I can bring that different a perspective. 8-)
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:53 am

Haha, unlike zhengma, I play on the US (oceanic) servers, so I'm not sure I can bring that different a perspective. 8-)
Either way, I am very glad to have you here.
Intro post from another person :)

Hi *wave*,
My name is Dragonray, I have been playing a mage (moderately ok) since Vanilla. I got hooked into raiding after I hit 60 an have been obssessed with raiding ever since. I enjoy the teamwork needed to defeat bosses, it is different sort of problem solving and attention required than everyday problems, and that makes it enjoyable for me. I don't care (never have) about lootz other than to help out the team, I enjoy the actual kill - especially the first one :)

I have raided in every expansion (some long breaks in between) and I am pretty excited for Warlords to drop.
I started as frost, played fire, then arcane and am now frost again. it is my favourite spec (I do like fire as well) and I really want to play it well.

I blog about my WoW time because I like to remember the milestones we have in game - after playing for so long, all the little things we love about the game can be easy to forget and swamped with the bad things. I like to keep it in perspective :)

Can't wait to chat to you all more, and i am so glad we have a place to gather!!

Dragonray
Do you have a link to your blog?
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

dragonray

Unread postby dragonray Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:07 am

Do you have a link to your blog?
I added it to my signature now, and itis certainly not a very exciting blog, but it is my little space of the universe :) Azerothian Life!
Stressball

Unread postby Stressball Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:18 am

Hello!

I'm Stressball, I play in <Portal> on US-Turalyon. I haven't been playing a mage too terribly long, maining since the launch of Cata, always got stuck in support caster roles before that since nobody else wanted to do it - shadow and ele mainly.

I've raided pretty much every expansion, but always had to take breaks for school/work until recently. Looking forward to being full time Mage in WoD :)

I don't post a ton but I'll chime in with helpful bits when I can. I do a lot of fidgeting with my UI and try a lot of different addons, occasionally doing a bit of Lua editing when necessary - I had a nice little redirect in CombustionHelper that put my combustion report in it's own chat window so it doesn't get lost in all the other crap - nothing major though.

I'm a min/max enthusiast, so pretty pumped we finally have a dedicated mage site. <3 you guys that put in the work.

Stress
Malon
Global Moderator

Unread postby Malon Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:35 pm

Welcome to Alter Time, everyone. Stressball, always good to have some LUA-knowledgeable folks around.
Author of Wowhead's official Mage guide: http://www.wowhead.com/classes#mage
Follow me for Mage tips and tricks at @ArcaneTactics (https://twitter.com/ArcaneTactics" target="_blank)
Rambutan

Unread postby Rambutan Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:18 pm

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to express how satisfying it is to see all the big names in mage theorycrafting gathered in a place we can call our own.

I am Rambutan (RambutanEX, US-Kil'jaeden), a fairly recent addition to the World of Warcraft. At my girlfriend's encouragement I began playing and raiding at the beginning of 5.3, ToT, in a guild that flip-flops between casual and semi-hardcore. In the absence of a competitive guild I channeled my desire to improve my character into online research and eventually discovered and came to respect names in the TC community like voltaa, Akraen, Cycobi. (Apologies if I missed some names--is Vykina still on board?)

Since then it has become something of a habit to poke around the MMO-champion forums to look for new tricks or even just things to think about (even after dropping my subscription after our SoO normal clear/guild hiatus). I generally lurk but am not afraid to contribute--I like to spot careless fact-droppers and bandwagon-riders and keep them on their toes (hence the respect for the meticulous aforementioned names).

In my opinion Kver's work in Fire theorycrafting sparked a much-needed conversation for the spec (though a bit too late for me to make use of his findings). I'm thrilled to see you all forming a real mage community and in great time for WoD, too. See you then, and best of luck--I will continue to lurk until the time comes...
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:07 am

Are you from Malaysia/Singapore? (from the username) :)
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:30 am

I love girlfriends who force their boyfriend to raid. Vykina is no longer on board, the rest of them are. I'm glad you appreciate my guide's attempt to spark discussion, though I honestly think this forum has already done more than my guide would do in a million years.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

Rambutan

Unread postby Rambutan Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:01 pm

I love girlfriends who force their boyfriend to raid.
LOL. In an alternate universe I would put this in my forum post signature.

nick, I'm actually a CBC (Canada-born Chinese) living in the States. Lychee is actually my favorite fruit but the word "rambutan" is undeniably more badass.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:12 am

nick, I'm actually a CBC (Canada-born Chinese) living in the States. Lychee is actually my favorite fruit but the word "rambutan" is undeniably more badass.
Cool!

Guess I'm not used to people outside of SEA knowing rambutan :D
Dree

Unread postby Dree Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:06 am

Hiyas,

Just wanted to throw in a quick hello! I'm Dree, horde mage, been playing this character since shortly after BC launch. Didn't raid much back then outside of Kara, only started seriously raiding in Wrath (dem Loatheb hot streaks!), then on and off in Cata, and have been doing 10-man raiding since Siege released. I've got a few other characters at 90 (DK and hunter) but I always find myself maining the mage with both PvE and PvP. It just doesn't compare to other classes, to me.

And a bit about me, I'm a Canadian living in New Orleans, mainly for work, but also my closest friends live here, so win-win. I'm a graphic designer and video editor by trade.

Anyway, just wanted to say I -love- that this site exists! Several times over the past few weeks I've come here just to discover new things to try out / learn, and my numbers have improved immensely thanks to you all. ^^ Before these forums I'd rifle through IV, mmoc, etc, to get my info, but it's really awesome having our own little mage-corner on the web. A big thanks to everyone involved in making it happen. <3
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:41 am

I don't think I've actually introduced myself.

I'm Ron, obviously from the Netherlands, as quite apparent from my ingame name. (Though some people still ask..)

Regarding WoW: I've been raiding actively since Cataclysm, and I've raided semi hardcore for a short while in WOTLK. I've guildlead two guilds, and am currently officer/co-gm in my current guild. I've raided on many different levels of play (world 50-10.000), and am currently in MCO@Shadowsong-EU, a world 90 guild on a 3day/week schedule.

I play the best spec for progress, but lately I've mostly been focusing on fire on my main, and frost on my alt mage. (And a bit of arcane on both) I do a fair bit of fire theorycrafting and am intending to write the 6.0 & WoD fire guide for this site. (With the help of others, ofcource)

In my free time I'm mostly playing games (orly..), drinking with friends or being with my gf.

I'm a software engineer at the fastest growing european online marketing company, and the main programmer/coder for this site.
A big thanks to everyone involved in making it happen. <3

Glad you like it!
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!

Return to “General Discussion”