Welcome to AT! Who are you? (Self Intro Thread)

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
voltaa
Staff emeritus

Re: Welcome to AT! Who are you? (Self Intro Thread)

Unread postby voltaa Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 pm

Well I guess I should post my intro for those who I haven't gotten the chance to talk with yet.

My name is Alex I live in Ontario, Canada and I play mages. I play voltaa for refined on US-Thrall and Bumchugger for Hakuna Matata on US-Illidan. I started playing WoW in late wrath (August of 2010) as a bet with a friend who said I would never be as good a player as he was in his glory days. Long story short was an absolute shit player for about 3 years until ToT dropped and decided I should get good and cleared my first raid tier while it was current. At that point I started getting into the theorycrafting side of the game, specifically on the Arcane side of things and while numbers and math still confuse me I try my best for the community.

Aside from maging, I am a really big advocate of community, which is why I have taken a role of both promoting and moderating (though I prefer the less harsh sounding "nurturing") this community as well as the MMO-Champion forums, where most of you who already know would likely know me from.

I just want to give a welcome to everyone in this thread who is making our community here what it is, thanks for coming out, there will be punch and egg salad sandwiches later.
I used to be gud, I used to be best...lol
grizzlebees

Unread postby grizzlebees Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:14 pm

there will be punch and egg salad sandwiches later.
That does not seem like an appetizing combination

Anyhow, I am Tim. I reside down in Austin, Texas. Currently maging with Undying Resolution on Elune-US. My gnome mage has been my main since I picked up the game back at the tail end of vanilla. Have done all raid content in game when it was current with the exception of Firelands (crazy work schedule at that time).

Not too much a theorycrafter as the mathing hurts my noggin. Most of my feedback will always come more in the "is it fun" or "feelz" vein. This directly ties to my professional life as I have been a QA tester in the video game industry for the past 6 years.
Chaotic

Unread postby Chaotic Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:03 am

I guess i should probably actually do this. I have been a member of Altered-Time almost from the beginning. I joined as Windofwinter, i changed my name and faction changed so now i am known as Chäotic. My real name though is Bill, I love in Longview, WA and i am a student currently, though i am taking the summer off. I am a disabled veteran as well, i served in the army for a few years after highschool and i have been out for a few years already. I just turned 25 on July 2nd too.

So i just started playing wow actually during MOP. I joined a guild on area 52 and cleared through TOT and SOO and started progressing heroics in November. Guild fell apart at that time and i took an extended break due to an injury. I am now though currently 580 and hoping to down Garrosh before 6.0

I am trying to become a valuable member here, i try to provide accurate information. I am not a great theorycrafter, i would be considered a normal player i would assume. But it is great to be able to help when i can!
Zilo

Unread postby Zilo Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:18 am

I suppose I could introduce myself before anything else. First of all, my names Chris, I'm 22, and I live in Southern California. I'm currently a full time student majoring in Chemical Engineering.

My mains name is Zilotu, but I've been preferring to go by Zilo for a while now and I mainly (pretty much 99%) play frost. I started playing WoW at the very tail end of classic, but only played off and on only in about 3-6 month chunks until mid cata - a couple months into Firelands. I only started raiding a couple months before Dragon Soul came out, starting with small T11 raids and working my way up. I ended up transferring to Stormrage the second week of MoP to raid with Midnight Sanctuary, and have been there (kind of) ever since.

I stopped raiding late in tier 15, due to personal issues I needed to deal with. That ended up extending into mid tier 16 so I kind of didn't even bother trying to catch up with raiding again, and ended up unsubbing at the end of March. Now, I'm looking at possibly coming back since I've gotten in the beta and it feels good to play again so we'll see.
Kuni

Unread postby Kuni Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:53 am

Zil! Come back to us!
Trustbucket

Unread postby Trustbucket Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:41 pm

My name is Austin and I live in Ontario, Canada. I started WoW at the end of wrath because my friend got me started. My mage is Trustbucket and don't ask me what it means because I don't know.

Mage was the first class I levelled to max level because my friend said they were strong and levelled one with me. I played my mage for not too long in ICC because I didn't raid with a guild and the only spec that was viable for me was arcane, which bored me. Throughout the tiers until now I played whichever class had a high skill cap and was competitive, for all roles (mainly tank and dps though). I never was in any decent guilds before MoP because I never apped to any and just played with friends even though I got bored with the level of progression they were doing.

In MoP I couldn't raid for t14 and t15 and played my lock to pvp from time to time. I was able to raid again in t16 so near the start of the tier I decided to level up my mage with the goal of raiding at a competitive level. I picked up mage really quickly but finding a good guild was tough because I had no experience raiding this tier and had terrible gear. Long story short, guilds I joined broke apart because of how long this tier was going to be and bad progression so I was not able to experience progression on all bosses this tier (only the first 8 and siegecrafter kills). Currently I raid with Promethean as a trial.

I am a very logical and competitive. In real life I am a student and a computer programmer. Things I always strive, and succeed, to do is have better results than others who have better conditions than me, such as more experience or better gear in wow (if only mage wasn't such a forgiving class!). I also enjoy theory crafting in wow and am always striving to know more.

Although I have swapped characters a lot, I believe I will stick with mages for a while, especially with WoD changes.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:07 am

Alright, I'll give this a shot although I'm more of a lurk in the shadows and read what people who actually TC have to say.

My name is Jason and I'm alco... oops, wrong place! I currently mage it up with Despotism, a 2 day/week guild on US-Greymane. I'm from Baltimore and I've been a mage forever. My 1st character in Vanilla was a rogue that I got to about 40 or so before getting bored so I tried a mage. Never looked back since. I raided and cleared some of Naxx, but quit just before TBC dropped due to raiding taking up so much of my time and it was really pissing my wife off. Came back during WotLK with promises of playing less and not being interested in raiding ... I did play less, but it wasn't long before I was raiding again, ending up 11/12H in ICC (like everyone who raided with 30% buff and a not great guild - we never even tried H LK as we knew there was no chance).

My guild broke apart at the start of Cata, which ended up being good for me as I was able to join a newly formed 10 man guild and actually started clearing heroic content at a good pace. Got Sinestra a week or two before 4.2 due to our late start, lots of pre-nerf H Rag pulls but no kill until after the nerf, and H DW on the day of the 10% nerf (soooo many sub 5% wipes the week before ><). Once again changed guilds as a large group of my current one decided to quit WoW once we finished the tier and that's when I ended up where I am now. About halfway through T14 I had to quit WoW as my wife done got herself pregnant with our 2nd child and our oldest was under 2 when the youngest was born, so we had our hands full for a while. The baby is now almost 1 and I returned to raiding a couple months back. My guild was 14/14H back in March, and a few weeks ago we finally finished recruiting enough to go 25 man and re-cleared 14/14H again.

Playing a mage and raiding is what makes this game fun for me. I just can't get into any other classes although I've tried. I had a max level druid and DK in Cata that I kept pretty geared and played all their different specs but nothing is as fun as the mage. Its my only level 90 now, I got a monk to 86 or 87 and just couldn't make myself keep going with it. Although I think its probably getting closer to 90 now just due to pet battles (which has been my new obsession in-game the past month or so). I spend a fair bit of my day at work on the forums (I'm a mod of the Raids & Dungeons forum on MMO-C) but for mage stuff I just tend to read up what others are talking about and soak it in rather than post a lot, particularly since I've only been back at it for a few months now and am still re-learning all the nuances of each spec so I don't feel I can contribute as much as more knowledgeable people.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:10 pm

This is a safe haven for folks to admit alcoholism. Don't worry. Welcome though!
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

I solve problems. Have a problem? Send me a PM!
Crowbar

Unread postby Crowbar Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:15 am

Hi All,

I've lurked on the mmoc boards for a while and posted a handful of times and got some dps tips as Possimpible. I also have a second mage Crowbar which I started to get practice in arcane but ended up raiding as frost on both. :D

I used to raid a lot in EQ as a warrior and main tank/assist on the Rodcet Nife server, then played wow and quit. I had pretty much stopped raiding till I started playing WoW again a month before MoP launched and created this mage (Possimpible) in Jan '13 and only did LFR for a long time as I found normal a bit overwhelming after such a long break. Midway through ToT I decided to try a normal raid and have been raiding since. I'm now 583 and 571 on my mages. :)

I plan to continue maining my mage into WoD. Hope to have to some good discussions and learn more about maging from the pros! Oh, and I'm from US-Thrall.
BioBall

Unread postby BioBall Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi there,

I play a mage called BioBall on Silvermoon. Generally swopping between Frost and Arcane atm.
Got redirected here from MMOC and spent the morning reading some of the posts. I am really happy I clicked the link as there's some seriously good mages with great opinions here! :D
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi there,

I play a mage called BioBall on Silvermoon. Generally swopping between Frost and Arcane atm.
Got redirected here from MMOC and spent the morning reading some of the posts. I am really happy I clicked the link as there's some seriously good mages with great opinions here! :D
Can you give me tips on how to convince my guild to let me get rank 1 galakras plz
BioBall

Unread postby BioBall Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi there,

Can you give me tips on how to convince my guild to let me get rank 1 galakras plz
That's very simple really. Miss your guild's main raid and do it with a pug/alt group like me since guildies are douchebags ;)
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi there,

That's very simple really. Miss your guild's main raid and do it with a pug/alt group like me since guildies are douchebags ;)
Trying this next week. Don't tell my raid leader.
Spirillum

Unread postby Spirillum Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 pm

I'm Spirillum. I currently raid with Tyranny on Shattered Hand and I've been playing since BC. Wrath-Naxx was the first tier I cleared while it was constant and I've been raiding ever since.

I started playing WoW in university just before exams. A friend of mine was running late and set me up on a level 1 Dranei warrior to kill some time while he was getting ready. A few days later, after being convinced it was a great way to take short study breaks, I created my account and rolled Spirillum. Until ToT, I had never altered his appearance. While I've mained other characters in that time, playing my mage is always where I've found the game most engaging.

Today I'm a professional engineer working in Calgary, Alberta. I recently bought my first house and I'm now living with my girlfriend, a psychologist, and her two small dogs. My interests include running, building custom PCs, watching hockey (/Canadian), irresistibly cheap/bad movies, all things Mage, and long walks on the beach.

This year I'll be headed to my first Blizzcon, and I'm quite psyched.

There's a lot of great discussion on this site already and I look forward to seeing where we can go from here.
Polarthief

Unread postby Polarthief Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:05 am

*Wave* I'm Polarthief/Pewpewblast, that scumbag from MMO-C.

Been playing a Mage since 2.4.3 (end of BC), and started raiding with him in Naxxramas (Wrath, obs). Haven't changed mains since and even got into Heroic raiding, until December 2014, in which I went pretty casual, and now I'm just sorta stalking WoW to see when a good time to come back is for me.

I probably won't be doing too much discussing on here, but I'll definitely be keeping watch :)
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:03 pm

Well I have been a member for about a month now so I guess it is time I added my bit to this thread.

I started playing WoW after seeing the "Make love not Warcraft" episode of South Park. I think I rolled a Night Elf Rogue first but died falling halfway down the edge of Teldrassil while exploring. When I rezed, had no option other than to jump off the edge properly and that would result in my body being put be back in the same place. That char quickly got deleted as I hadn't picked up a Hearthstone at that point.

I then went Mage because of the scene in Lord of the Rings when Gandalf rides out of Minas Tirith as the soldiers are retreating and he knocks back the enemy with 1 spell. I have been a Mage ever since and often play the wizard type role in any other game if possible.

I started raiding during Firelands in the 3rd team of a mid server ranked guild. Im still in the same guild but we have sinced changed servers (still mid ranked) but I am now one of the top DPS in the main team. Since being a member of this website, my DPS has gone up by about 100K with only a few new items in that time and I am also getting around the figures Simulation Craft says I should be capable of when using the 'good' player skill level so thank you very much to all who contribute to this site as you have helped me enormously.

Going forward, I am looking to progress my character even further and to do this, I am getting into the theory crafting side of things so that I understand why I am using a given ability rather than just following a guide that said I should.
Blugatti

Unread postby Blugatti Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi I am BLUGATTI, I currently go to university of Miami, I enjoy lifting ( started during summer after senior year, now known as swolegatti), mma ( 2 years of varsity wrestling, 3 yrs of
BJJ, and gaming ( something I've done all my life).

I started PC gaming with runescape, until I got banned in 5th grade and that's when an irl friend got me wow for my birthday, I started with a hunter and it was my only main till dragon souls. I really enjoyed the concept of hunters in ICC as marksmen, and my interest really went downhill when focus was implemented. When I realized the mm was probably never going to come back.
I decided to reroll Mage and got recruited into a guild that was on HM warmaster a month after I hit level85 and we killed the boss that week. Although I was never able to get my legendary staff the dps I was doing without it was extrmely competitive and I knew mages were going to be a class I was going to enjoy playing. I went into mop with this guild and had really strong performances in the opening week of raids, I had so many mages on the server coming to me for advice and I started developing a personality in general chat. sadly I was unable to continue raiding 5.0 due to my computer being taken away for some irl issues.
I came back 3 weeks in tot, my guild took me back and geared me up, I stuck with them until we were 2/13 heroics and progression really stalled. I ended up apping to vigil since I had vouches from a lot of their main raiders who thought I had a lot of potential, unfortunately all they did was keep me in the guild for 3 weeks and then telling me they don't have a spot for me completely wasting my time ( funnily enough they tried to poach me this tier, LEL). After all of this I finally got a taste of top 150 US huehuehue, when I joined SnD and SF soon after they broke up, after more than 420 attempts between the two guild I finally downed h Lei Shen and missed top 100 US by a couple of spots.

I went into siege with this guild and by now my fan base on malganis was getting pretty big since I was good at trolling and backing it up with my parses despite being behind on gear, my guild ended up sinking when they got to spoils and around that time the top 3 10 mans on malganis merged together, since one of the guild was the 10m that split from SnD I was able to get in pretty quickly. The guild was stacked and ended up finishing 56th US and I was finally getting close to BiS gear. They ended up breaking due to burn outs and I joined HOTC, then left for OR since I wanted to compete for better rankings, this was when I first got #1 on PR but after they tried to put me on a tight leash for trolling I left and when back to hotc, and this time I ended up getting #1 on PR once again and held it for a month. At this time my BFF and I were approached by encore and thought it was the best decision to join them going into wod. Since then I've held my r1 for more than two months cumulatively.

I'm known to have a pretty big ego which is sort of true. most people don't understand my personality is usually just for trolling and I'm a lot more humble when talking to someone personally, but at the same time I'm not really scared to step on anyone's toes because I did put a lot of time into getting to where I am now, from practicing on target dummies, life or flexes for hours at a time just because my ego always pushes me to become the best I can be, the only downside is that I tilt really hard when I make a mistake since I judge myself a lot harder than others. I was also the type of player who didn't really do a lot of theory crafting since I hate numbers, I liked trying different builds out in flexes or target dummies and going with what works best and that method has worked for me thus far.
In my off time I like playing league, I'm 10 PTS away from p3 promos and I main ryze / kayle feel free to add
My acc " oh my BLUGATTI"
Da end
Wow this was really long, the chit I can do when I'm still pumped up in between my work outs.
http://www.proraiders.com/player/index. ... r=Blugatti" target="_blank
#1 WCL Fire mage EU/US. hey ps3 fart, hey xbox360 yah
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:40 am

Mod: This is the self intro thread, stay on topic.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Svenning

Unread postby Svenning Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:31 pm

Hello there!
The name I go by usually is Svenning! I come from the frozen land of Norway! So I greet you all from Northrend.

I started wow back in vanilla, when I randomly found it in a grocery shop when I was there with my mom. Somehow I managed to come home with wow in my hands. Having played wc3 and seen dragons on the cover I was sold! (I was probably in 5th grade at the time)

I started as a mage, but my friend played paladin, so I made a paladin and followed him around for a while, while we played together.
When I wasnt playing with him, I started a mage! oh the arcane glory! I played for a few levels until I figured all my friends played horde, so I deleted the char and made a horde version. This went back and forth until I lost interest and got hacked. Rip lvl 10 chars.
When BC rolled around, I was ready to jump back into it, got myself a battlechest after a while, and made a mage on each server I had friends playing on, I believe I sat at something around the likes of 21 twink mages in lvl19. That's what my gametime got me, dabbling on all servers, naturally I lost interest once more.

Wotlk, maybe this is my chance? After a classmate spent all his time on school watching through literally half of warcraftmovies, I asked him to show me some mage pvp videos. We saw them all. ALL.
Then I caved in, bought wotlk and we started lvling mages, the hard way. We spent our time mostly in durotar duelling while we lvld in dungeons or battlegrounds without looms. Oh the joy. At 80 we saw how far we could get in greens, he got to 1800 wich I was impressed with. Myself got more or less nowhere, this being my first max lvl toon. I started picking up the pvp pieces and excelling, nothing major but I got decked out.

With some pugs trying to get me some rings that was better for pvp than the pvprings and the tanking trinket (corroded skeleton key, this thing was so good for firemages in bg's) I dived a bit into pve with a rebellious attitude. The first 10.25 gear voa fetched me, I quickly gemmed with defense rating as part of my vendetta against PvE. And I got into some pugs as arcane after reading up a bit. The people on the server disagreeing in rotation with what i'd read on mmo-c. So naturally, with my defense rating-gemmed gear, I outperformed several people, and had a blast!

I kinda liked this pve thing afterall. I got into discussion with a mage who'm I outperformed, and he asked me to help him gem,enchant his gear etc. I did the works after some light forumbrowsing and number-crunching and he said he felt bad for using my time and gave me 6k gold.

Wow, I quickly spent the sum bettering my own gear, and a guild picked me up. They'd more or less done all NM content, so they blasted me through, and I got pretty lucky with both guild and gear. It was pretty impersonal guild, but they put the hours in as a 10man group!

The mage I'd helped out, constantly asked me to join their 25man groups and more often I joined them.
when OS came around, we just barely touched it with my 10man group, that was falling apart. I spent some time there with the other mage previously mentioned. No idea about tactics or anything, they basically brought me along since I did nearly the same dps as guy 2 and 3 combined. Arcane was at a good spot in the end of wrath.

Cata i lvled and quit more or less, woving to never return to this blasted game.

Alas, here I am! Lvled up to 90 in feb or something, raided a bit before summer with a 100% irl mate guild. We got 14/14nm after a few weeks and did 4/14 hc before some lost interest in the game and content. and we disbanded.

After netting me the wod beta (probably been untouched in a forgotten mail for a long time before I read it)
I decided to sub up and start preparing for WoD. I recently joined a guild as a social, hoping to sneak my way in the raid team when 6.0 rolls around and they expand from 10 to 20man group!

Currently I'm more or less only comfortable with the playstyle of frost (as originally a pvp'er this has been my bread and butter, and I don't think I can ''forget'' how to frost. Alas both my fire and arcane seems so..unknown to me atm.)

I consider going fire, as that'd probably make this guild desire my contribution a bit more, but I'm afraid I'll severly underperform with it. Oh well. Currently at 567 ilvl and on the road to upgrading my gear to their 4/4 up from 2/2.
Order I opted for was to upgrade my cloak, then the pieces I pictured I'd be wearing the longest. Next in line will be my offhand then probably weapon (although I want to rid myself off it.)

My character as a mage has been called Parts mostly since I made it mid-wrath. I thought it was a good name for an undead char, not taking the glorious titles possible into consideration. As a horde player, "Private" wasn't a title I could get. Oh well, so I put in the hour of achieving the title 'Salty'. I now roam around as Defile's Salty Parts.

holy wall of text.

TL;DR - Norwegian, ign name is Parts, I rock the salty title. Raided a bit in ICC and some earlier in WOD. 4/14 HC. WoD looks fun! lets crunch numbers!
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45 am

Hello there!
The name I go by usually is Svenning! I come from the frozen land of Norway! So I greet you all from Northrend.
Welcome aboard!
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!

Return to “General Discussion”