The Macro Thread

Note that these are only related to World of Warcraft! Posts regarding different games or software will be removed.
Komma
Administrator

The Macro Thread

Unread postby Komma Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Zaljin requested that we make a macro thread. I don't mind starting one, but I don't think I'll have the time to maintain it with new additions from folks. If someone wants to make a new opening post and maintain it to create an archive of macros, say something below!

I'll lead with some common burst macros. I use a shift modifier to change whether I want to use a potion as well.

Arcane AP burst macro:

Code: Select all

#showtooltip /use [mod:shift] Potion of the Jade Serpent /cast Arcane Power /use Brilliant Mana Gem /use Mana Gem /cast Alter Time
Frost IV burst macro:

#showtooltip /use [mod:shift] Potion of the Jade Serpent /cast Icy Veins /cast Alter Time
Fire Combustion burst macro:

#showtooltip /use [mod:shift] Potion of the Jade Serpent /cast Presence of Mind /cast Alter Time /cast Pyroblast

I like using shift-modifier-mouseover macros for utility spells like CS, decurse and Spellstealing:

#showtooltip Counterspell /cast [modifier:shift, exists, target=mouseover] Counterspell /cast Counterspell

#showtooltip Spellsteal /stopcastin /cast [modifier:shift, exists, target=mouseover] Spellsteal; Spellsteal

#showtooltip /use [@mouseover,help][@target,help][@player] Remove Curse

The common "stop making frostbolts healing your pet unless you hold shift" frostbolt macro. It might conflict with the IV macro if you use a potion, but I never cast frostbolt immediately after activating IV anyway.

#showtooltip Frostbolt /cast [mod:shift,target=pet] Frostbolt /cast [harm,nodead] Frostbolt

Polymorph gets boring when you always stick to the same one, so I like to mix things up a bit. This macro will probably break with WoD though, since they're consolidating all polymorphs, sort of like portals/teleports right now.

#showtooltip Polymorph /focus /castrandom Polymorph,Polymorph(Pig),Polymorph(Turtle),Polymorph(Black Cat)
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Soggs
Global Moderator

Re: The Macro Thread

Unread postby Soggs Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:28 pm

The almighty mouseover Bomb macro:

#showtooltip /use [mod:shift, @mouseover, harm, exists, nodead] Mage Bomb ; Mage Bomb
If you macro the following behind your attacks your Water Elemental will stay on the first target you tell him to attack till that target is dead or unavailable. Requires the Pet to be passive.

/petattack [@pettarget, noexists, combat]
Shoot me a pm if you want me to elaborate on my crazy thoughts. I sometimes lose track of what I actually meant to say.

"The game isn't as simple as you."

Currently caught up in a game called Real Life. Activity may suffer from this.
Aowyn

Unread postby Aowyn Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:36 am

Macro conditional added for 6.0:

#showtooltip
/cast [talent:3/1] Ring of Frost; [talent:3/2] Ice Ward; [talent:3/3] Frostjaw

Source: https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/4 ... 3935765505
Dokem

Unread postby Dokem Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks for starting the thread :D

I use these macros, they help me to spam AB and AM and not waste AM full duration. I notice this boosted my DPS, I think mainly because of delay issues (I have a 150ms delay).

#showtooltip /cast [nochanneling] Arcane Blast

#showtooltip /cast [nochanneling] Arcane Missiles
Source: Icy Veins
Zenjuro

Unread postby Zenjuro Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Here some that I use:

Mouseover Magebomb Macro that always uses your current specced Bomb:

#showtooltip Mage Bomb /cast [target=mouseover,exists,nohelp] Mage Bomb; Mage Bomb
Always Engineering Enchant Up (Frozen Orb shares same CD):

#showtooltip Frozen Orb /cast Frozen Orb /use 10
Blazing Speed or Boots 1 Button:

#showtooltip Blazing Speed /use 6 /cast Blazing Speed
Slowfall always on me:

#showtooltip Slow Fall /target YOURNAME /cast Slow Fall
Rudi

Unread postby Rudi Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:42 am

Macro conditional added for 6.0:

#showtooltip
/cast [talent:3/1] Ring of Frost; [talent:3/2] Ice Ward; [talent:3/3] Frostjaw

Source: https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/4 ... 3935765505
In the mean time you can just use

#showtooltip /use <talentname1> /use <talentname2> /use <talentname3> /run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("<macroname>", G"<talentname1>" or G"<talentname2>" or "<talentname2>")
So it looks something like this when used

#showtooltip /use Ring of Frost /use Ice Ward /use Frostjaw /run local G=GetSpellInfo SetMacroSpell("T45", G"Ring of Frost" or G"Ice Ward" or "Frostjaw")
The only other thing to note is that the tooltip will not change when you switch talents and will change once the macro is used once.
| <SNF> US-Sargeras |33 alts and counting :^)
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 am

Why did you run the script at the end ? To show the tooltip of the spell ?

The best solution was the "mage bomb". A token name for every talent row that change according to the selected talent.
In this case, RoP should change automatically into MI.
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
Rudi

Unread postby Rudi Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:49 am

Why did you run the script at the end ? To show the tooltip of the spell ?
Yes
The best solution was the "mage bomb". A token name for every talent row that change according to the selected talent.
In this case, RoP should change automatically into MI.
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that and it just leaves the unusable spell on your bar. The script makes it so that you can still see the spell on your bars after you change the spell.
| <SNF> US-Sargeras |33 alts and counting :^)
macca

Unread postby macca Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:33 pm

Hey, im using this burst macro once my trinkets have popped, do you think it could do with changing a little?

#showtooltip Alter Time
/use Potion of the jade Serpent
/use 10
/cast Mirror Image
/cast Berserking
/cast Icy Veins
/cast Alter Time
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 pm

Hey, im using this burst macro once my trinkets have popped, do you think it could do with changing a little?

#showtooltip Alter Time
/use Potion of the jade Serpent
/use 10
/cast Mirror Image
/cast Berserking
/cast Icy Veins
/cast Alter Time
This is best asked in the general questions section as I understand this thread is a section to post macros for others to use.

With that said, to answer your question. There have been a lot of recommendations to separate Alter Time from your burst macro, especially when using it on the pull, as Icy Veins will cause your trinkets to proc quite quickly and then once they have proc'ed, then you use Alter Time. This way you are not cutting your proc's short.

This isn't a big deal if you are waiting for your trinkets to proc before using the macro but that means you could be casting a lot of your standard rotation waiting for them to proc.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:25 pm

I wouldn't have your potion in that macro either, depending on fight length and mechanics, you may not want to be using a potion the next time you use your burst macro.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Spirillum

Unread postby Spirillum Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm not sure you want Mirror Images in there. If you're casting Alter Time you probably have trinket procs and HU/HS, BF/FoF procs, or AM that you'd want to use in your 6s window. It might not make sense to start off with a global.

I believe my potion/CD macro is closer to

/use Potion of the Jade Serpent
/use 10
/cast Berserking
/cast Icy Veins
/cast Arcane Power
/cast Alter Time
/cast Frostbolt
/cast Arcane Missiles
/cast Pyroblast

You'll then want to have a second similar macro without the potion, and probably separate binds for Arcane Power/Icy Veins, Mirror Images, Potion etc. You may want to pop these on the pull before Alter Time, or later in the encounter (ex. a boss is going to die in 20 seconds but you don't have the procs you need to hit AT).
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:07 pm

A macro to quickly select a focus target, and the macro to focus IB, and a timer which shows ignite on your focus target, useful for the "new" ignite trick.

/focus [target=mouseover]

#showtooltip inferno blast /cast [target=focus,exists] inferno blast
Use in conjunction with the aura in http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5009#p5009" target="_blank
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
Soggs
Global Moderator

Unread postby Soggs Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:48 pm

T75 macros for each spec.

#showtooltip /use [talent:5/1] Nether Tempest; [talent:5/3] Supernova

#showtooltip /use [talent:5/1] Frost Bomb; [talent:5/3] Ice Nova

#showtooltip /use [talent:5/1] Living Bomb; [talent:5/3] Blast Wave
Shoot me a pm if you want me to elaborate on my crazy thoughts. I sometimes lose track of what I actually meant to say.

"The game isn't as simple as you."

Currently caught up in a game called Real Life. Activity may suffer from this.
Sturmcantor

Unread postby Sturmcantor Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:23 pm

#showtooltip /use [talent:5/1] Mage Bomb; Frost Nova
Works for all three specs.
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:36 pm

A macro that will only cast Ice Nova if you have an enemy target:

#showtooltip Ice Nova
/cast [@target,exists,harm][@target] Ice Nova
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Similar to Durrtygoodz's macro above, this will use Nether Tempest or Supernova depending on what you have spec'ed but it will only allow you to cast Supernova on an enemy target to prevent to accidentally casting it on your self when you don't have a target selected.

#showtooltip
/cast [talent:5/1] Nether Tempest; [talent:5/3 @target,exists,harm] Supernova
thach1ef

Re: Breaktheice's WoD Frost Mage Guide

Unread postby thach1ef Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:18 am

Is there a way to combine the following macro

#showtooltip Ice Nova /cast [harm, nohelp] Ice Nova
With another macro that uses logic like this

#showtooltip /cast [talent:1/2] Blazing Speed; [talent:1/3] Ice Floes
I've been using the Ice Nova macro above for a while, but I want to make a combination macro for Ice Nova when I'm frost and Supernova when I'm arcane. Whenever I try and combine all that logic together, something breaks. Whether it's the 2nd part of the macro, or the [harm] part. I just can't figure it out.

Here is a broken macro which I'm trying to make work, I think you'll get the idea

#showtooltip /cast [spec:1, talent:5/3] [harm, nohelp] Supernova; [spec:3, talent:5/3] [harm, nohelp] Ice Nova
Mod: I have moved this to the Macro thread as it is not really appropriate for a question in a frost guide
thach1ef

Unread postby thach1ef Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:36 pm

For anyone interested. I believe I figured out a working macro.

#showtooltip [spec:1] Supernova; Ice Nova /cast [spec:1, harm, nohelp] Supernova /cast [spec:2, harm, nohelp] Ice Nova
Arcane is my main spec (ie spec 1) and frost is my secondary spec (ie spec 2). This will switch the macro and retain the tooltip if you are in either spec. It will also only cast if your target is an enemy.

It looks like it's working for me but would love some feedback if anyone comes across any issues.
Stakhanov

Unread postby Stakhanov Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:39 am

Since I like swapping talents around quite often but hate rebinding every single time, I came up with the following sets of macros, sorted by spec and tier.

Generic Macros :

#showtooltip /cast [talent:1/2] Blazing Speed; [talent:1/3] Ice Floes

#showtooltip /cast [talent:2/1] Alter Time; [talent:2/2] Flameglow; [talent:2/3] Ice Barrier

#showtooltip /stopcasting /cast [talent:4/1] Greater Invisibility; [talent:4/2] Cauterize; [talent:4/3] Cold Snap

#showtooltip /cast [talent:6/1] Mirror Image; [talent:6/2] Rune of Power; [talent:6/3] Incanter's Flow
Arcane Macros :

#showtooltip [talent:5/1]Nether Tempest; [talent:5/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:5/3]Supernova /cast [talent:5/1] Nether Tempest; [talent:5/3, @target, exists, harm, nodead] Supernova

#showtooltip /cast [talent:7/1] Overpowered; [talent:7/2] Prismatic Crystal; [talent:7/3] Arcane Orb
Fire Macros :

#showtooltip [talent:5/1] Mage Bomb; [talent:5/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:5/3] Blast Wave /cast [talent:5/1] Mage Bomb; [talent:5/3, @target, exists, harm, nodead] Blast Wave

#showtooltip /cast [talent:7/1] Kindling; [talent:7/2] Prismatic Crystal; [talent:7/3] Meteor
Miscellaneous (mainly to save space) :

Key press : Polymorph / Shift + Key : Slow (Arcane only)

#showtooltip /cast [nomod] Polymorph /cast [mod:shift,@target] Slow
Key : Counterspell / Shift + Key : Spellsteal

#showtooltip /cast [nomod] Counterspell /cast [mod:shift] Spellsteal
Click : Conjure Refreshment / Shift + Click : Conjure Refreshment Table

#showtooltip /cast [nomod] Conjure Refreshment /cast [mod:shift] Conjure Refreshment Table
Note regarding the above : I know one doesn't "cast" passive abilities like Incanter's Flow or Unstable Magic. But placing these doesn't generate error (afaik) but allows the macro to display the icon of the passive ability. The #showtooltip on Supernova/Blast Wave is kinda cluttered, but that's a necessity because the [@target, harm...] tends to screw things up (ie: you'd get the big red question mark displayed with supernova selected but no hostile target)

Return to “Addons, Macros, UI and technical issues”