Arcane mage guide for raiding by Dutchmagoz! [6.2 updated]

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Re: Arcane mage guide for raiding by Dutchmagoz! [6.2 update

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:07 pm

OK, I just got Heroic Tome yday (finally it dropped). First vanq trink we've seen.

Which leads me to a few question - probably stupid ones, so apologies in advance. :)

1. I've only tried on a dummy so far, but I ran into this situation:

a. I get to 4 charges and dump missiles.
b. I pop AP and berserking.
c. I spam AB (and im not getting a single AM proc)
d. Halfway through AP (7 sec left or so) im at 30% mana.

What do I do then?
I mean I cant continue burning without running out of mana for the full duration of arcane power.
At the same time Evocating during burn is a big nono, even moreso with the trinket.
Once could evo ofc and then save PoM (which means practically nothing with the low cast time anyway) to at least getting 2 charges fast, but it would still be a pretty dire situation.

Had it been 50% mana, would I just keep burning to 0% mana to not evo during AP, and just use missile procs if they come if I were to get to 0% mana?

2. PoF/Tome/PC/Burn
I haven't tried PoF with crystal yet as I only got it on mannoroth this week and I was running AO on Archimonde.
Is it correctly understood that MoD will not be applied to PC, but can be applied to a target PC is hitting?

If that is the case, lets say this:

a. PC is up, and im casting AB on the crystal.
b. In the middle of the burn with crystal still up MoD procs on another target.

Will I (in the case I get missile procs) switch to the other target, even while PC is up?

3. Arcane Orb/4 charges/PoF-MoD proc

We have this case:
a. 4 charges, 3 sec left of MoD, 0 AM procs atm

Normally we dont want to cast AO at 4 charges, but in this case there simply wont be time to use ABarr, then use AO, while at the same time have time to actuelly use the AM procs we hopefully get from AO with the MoD still up.

In this case do I not just use arcane orb at 4 stacks in the hope of getting some AM procs to use while MoD is still up?
1. Did you forget to unglyph AP? I've never had this happen yet. If you are running unglyphed AP and still got that low that fast, just burn until 0% mana and evocate.

2. MoD *can* proc on PC, and while burning on PC it should proc on PC. In case MoD does proc on a secondary target (due to SN for example), you use missiles on the secondary target and arcane blasts on PC.

3. For single target, use abarr, and hope it gives AM and quickly use that the missiles. On multiple targets, use AO and dump all missiles it gives on MoD.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
jimme

Unread postby jimme Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:14 pm

1. Did you forget to unglyph AP? I've never had this happen yet. If you are running unglyphed AP and still got that low that fast, just burn until 0% mana and evocate.

2. MoD *can* proc on PC, and while burning on PC it should proc on PC. In case MoD does proc on a secondary target (due to SN for example), you use missiles on the secondary target and arcane blasts on PC.

3. For single target, use abarr, and hope it gives AM and quickly use that the missiles. On multiple targets, use AO and dump all missiles it gives on MoD.
Thx for the answers.

AP was unglyped, but might have been a fluke, unbuffed and everything.
Velerion

Unread postby Velerion Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:38 pm

So what's the current word on playing with the legendary ring? Is it business as usual or delaying pc for upcoming ring procs?
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:04 pm

Currently we're delaying PC+AP to sync with the ring when wearing Tome of Shifting Words.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
frank161616

Unread postby frank161616 Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Just get my 4T18, my trinket is PF and Gaze.
Stat: ~1710 Haste, 2498 Mastery, ilv 700, enchant is warsong

but after run a simc (420s) the stat weight is : Int > SP > Mastery(5.69) > Mult > Haste(5.18)~= Crit > Vers

Something wrong :O ? or its because I don't have mage trinket?
Velerion

Unread postby Velerion Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Are you running UM or SN?
frank161616

Unread postby frank161616 Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:56 pm

I'm using SN.
Velerion

Unread postby Velerion Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:13 pm

It values mastery higher than haste. People us UM because our 4pc calls for haste gearing and UM benefits from haste. Our class trinket also plays into it.
frank161616

Unread postby frank161616 Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:15 pm

oh! After I switch SN to UM, the stat weight became Int > SP >Haste~=Mastery!

but total damage is 1k lower than using SN.... 420 sec length fight~ no AP glyph.
NotTrev

Unread postby NotTrev Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:54 pm

oh! After I switch SN to UM, the stat weight became Int > SP >Haste~=Mastery!

but total damage is 1k lower than using SN.... 420 sec length fight~ no AP glyph.
Your results were similar to mine, until I got Tome. Resimming sn vs um with tome(pof other trinket) gave me um>sn and haste>mastery until about 1850~, then it started to balance out haste=~mastery(slightly > multi).
Dustwhisper

Unread postby Dustwhisper Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:42 am

What kind of rotation are people running on mythic Hellfire assault? I just got my first kill on it tonight and only hit 60k dps.

I ran 4set, heroic warforged classtrinket, normal PoF (I have a heroic desecrated shadowmoon insignia in bags), SN/IF/AO, no legendary ring :(. Reason i ran classtrinket was because the AB burn was pretty damn helpful for burning things at times as the AP CD seemed to coincide very nicely with things, though I think I might run PoF+DSI (if Gaze doesnt drop) next week. Anyways, my problem is how are people handling rotations on this fight?

If I pop AP for burn and POF procs, I dumbed missiles for the AOE (PoF procs of this can really make you look great or shit). I used AO with 4 stacks IF POF was up with 4 or more seconds left. I used AB+AO for AOE at 4 stacks whenever I could. I tried to save SN for POF but never let it cap by many seconds.

Sometimes it was hard to see if POF procced anywhere though as nameplates dont seem to always want to update that info.
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:22 am

Personally I run Supernova/AO on the fight, with double stat trinkets - PoF and UGoS. Just play it as you would any other cleave fight. Supernova priority targets or as many targets as possible, depending on how much AoE you need, use AO to hit as many mobs as you can, and use the barrage of Arcane Missiles procs to burn priority targets. It's fairly straight forward in that regard. Don't be too strict on Evocation timings as you can end up with some hilariously long burn phases with AO on many targets. Sometimes I just Evocate at 75-80% to get more mastery benefit.
Twitter
Armory

Dustwhisper

Unread postby Dustwhisper Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:19 am

Yea I was running supernova/AO too but sadly dont have Ugos and something tells me our ele shammy will get that before I can consider taking one :P (It has never dropped for us on hc).

I was pretty much doing what you're saying except using AB with classtrinket for burning priority but scored in 50% percentile for my ilvl, that just fucking sucks. Used SN to hit as much as possible, tried using AM on POF procs, used AO for AM generation if POF was up if not id use it with ABarr for AOE.

Guess I'll just try again :P
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:21 am

Tome of Shifting Words is pretty darn bad on multiple targets compared to a stat trinket. I'd even use Darmac's Unstable Talisman or something like that over it on Hellfire Assault.
Twitter
Armory

Dustwhisper

Unread postby Dustwhisper Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:26 am

I do agree, it just worked well to nuke down crap since every other person in the raid went AOE. Anyways I'll go DSI next week (or gaze if it drops), but still i dont think either would up my DPS by 20-30k :P Maybe it's just shitty POF procs as I only did 3mill dmg with it.
Mantis

Unread postby Mantis Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Tome of Shifting Words is pretty darn bad on multiple targets compared to a stat trinket. I'd even use Darmac's Unstable Talisman or something like that over it on Hellfire Assault.
If you're looking for overall dps, yes, however, to focus priority targets the trinket is still pretty good.
finca

Unread postby finca Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:31 am

Would you mind if I translate this and post to Korean wow site?
best arcane guide ever seen, btw :lol:
musclepharm

Unread postby musclepharm Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm

When using Overpowered and Tome trinket, what's the rule on when to stop casting AM? Would you keep casting AM even if you're less than 70% mana just to extend AP buff?
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:44 pm

I spoke to Dutchmagoz via IRC for you. He said this is fine but you will need to credit him as the original author and for there to be a link to Altered-Time.com. Not much to ask but I'm sure you would have done this any way since you had the courtesy to ask first.
Woke

Unread postby Woke Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:01 pm

I spoke to Dutchmagoz via IRC for you. He said this is fine but you will need to credit him as the original author and for there to be a link to Altered-Time.com. Not much to ask but I'm sure you would have done this any way since you had the courtesy to ask first.
Speaking of that, do you think you could add a Contributors section to your guide like we discussed?

Return to “Arcane”