Soul of the archmage New legendary ring

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Doty

Soul of the archmage New legendary ring

Unread postby Doty Wed May 17, 2017 1:15 pm

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/151642-soul-of-the-archmage" target="_blank
Hi guys
I am Doty aka Volatnis-Terrodar(eu) and today I want to talk about the new legendary Ring.

Arcane gains Temporal Flux
Temporal Flux
Arcane Blast's cast time is reduced by 5% for each Arcane Charge.

Sounds really amazing, but if this goes live in 3 to 4 weeks, what will change for arcane if you have that Ring.
Disclaimer: This i a prediction, so keep calm and don't take it to serious.
Stats:
Haste: Looses in value, because of the short cast time of AB.
Mastery: will acutally go up, even with the kilt it will rise in value. You will burn so much mana with this ring and with the new tier set as well
Crit: Will probably stay the same.
Vers: Will also stay the same(not sure about that)

So our legendary choice would be kilt and Soul of the Archmage
There is still a possibility, that soul of the archmage is our third set in stone legendary. So we can only switch out 2 legendaries but not this ring.

Will be on the the ptr and provide you with feedback asap.

Please feel free to discuss with me, how the new stats priority will look like and what do you think of the new legendary ring

#arcanemagehype
Sorry english is not my mother tongue.
Last edited by Doty on Thu May 25, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gengazem

Re: HOLY Crap THAT new legendary ring

Unread postby Gengazem Thu May 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Ring with legend hat is nice aswell i think.

Wbu?

Greets,

Gengazem
Doty

Re: Soul of the archmage New legendary ring

Unread postby Doty Sun May 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Not really, the problem with the new tier set is, that you need the legendary kilt, there is sadly no way around it, if you want to use it properly and with soul of the archmage you burn even more mana.
Last edited by Doty on Mon May 22, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
testacular

Unread postby testacular Mon May 22, 2017 9:44 am

Don't really see why you need Kilt so badly with new Tier set? That being said, it truly is will the most convenient legendary item you can have.

As for this new ring - given that (probably) nobody has yet discovered an efficient way to play with Temporal Flux, I don't think this will see much use. To back it up, here are two reasons I can think off from the top of my head:
1) Significant stat change
- using this ring would require you to change a lot of stats, even reverse priorities perhaps (mastery going through the roof...again)
- for the limited use of Temporal Flux, this is a huge change and one most people won't bother trying
2) Rotation change and Time and Space trait
- truth be told, these days we use arcane explosion A LOT; the last artifact trait puts it on steroids and makes it great for cleave/aoe
- the ring boosts this in absolutely no way (neither AE nor the AM procs) and the stat change won't help there either (no need for high mastery)
- this would make the ring only useful on pure single target fight - something you rarely get

To further support my claim, few days ago I also checked PTR changes for next patch and saw almost zero changes in skill dmg coming for arcane. Meaning AE spam will still be legit in many situations and the ring won't help that at all.
Perhaps if they make the talent give overall haste, but as it stands now, I can think of better things to wear.

Hope you can prove me wrong for the sake of arcane diversity :-)
Doty

Unread postby Doty Mon May 22, 2017 1:16 pm

The kilt has good synergy with the tier 20, cause you can drop your arcane charges before you use POM and get mana back. I was able to use one POM with a rune between each arcane power(had POM ready again).
BUT with two additional instant arcane blasts you burn mana pretty quickly.

I agree with testacular about the stat changes, but keep in mind we still have overpowered,
And with the reduced cast time of temporal flux our burst will rise significant.
Only on single target ofc
Naustis

Unread postby Naustis Mon May 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Don't really see why you need Kilt so badly with new Tier set? That being said, it truly is will the most convenient legendary item you can have.

As for this new ring - given that (probably) nobody has yet discovered an efficient way to play with Temporal Flux, I don't think this will see much use. To back it up, here are two reasons I can think off from the top of my head:
1) Significant stat change
- using this ring would require you to change a lot of stats, even reverse priorities perhaps (mastery going through the roof...again)
- for the limited use of Temporal Flux, this is a huge change and one most people won't bother trying
2) Rotation change and Time and Space trait
- truth be told, these days we use arcane explosion A LOT; the last artifact trait puts it on steroids and makes it great for cleave/aoe
- the ring boosts this in absolutely no way (neither AE nor the AM procs) and the stat change won't help there either (no need for high mastery)
- this would make the ring only useful on pure single target fight - something you rarely get

To further support my claim, few days ago I also checked PTR changes for next patch and saw almost zero changes in skill dmg coming for arcane. Meaning AE spam will still be legit in many situations and the ring won't help that at all.
Perhaps if they make the talent give overall haste, but as it stands now, I can think of better things to wear.

Hope you can prove me wrong for the sake of arcane diversity :-)
Most of the fights in ToS are pure ST fights. Kilt still will remain top legendary as it returns the most mana from all our legendaries. Moreover, ring won't change the stats value because Mastery is just too weak. On top of.that Time and Space receives a.huge nerf (fix) as it no longer triggers AM. We have to wait until the ring will be available on PTR before we will be able to tell if it will be viable option or not.

Cheers,
Naustis
Mythlos

Unread postby Mythlos Tue May 23, 2017 1:07 am

On top of.that Time and Space receives a.huge nerf (fix) as it no longer triggers AM.
Source? This would be a huge nerf to Arcane.
magictricks

Unread postby magictricks Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 am

someone said it's already fixed on PTR.
Naustis

Unread postby Naustis Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 am

On top of.that Time and Space receives a.huge nerf (fix) as it no longer triggers AM.
Source? This would be a huge nerf to Arcane.
Source: hitting dummy in order hall for 1h with other mage from discord :) this change was not announced anywhere. I created a few posts on WoW main forum about how it kills our non existing cleave, so maybe, just maybe they gonna revert it :d
testacular

Unread postby testacular Tue May 23, 2017 9:55 am

Most of the fights in ToS are pure ST fights.
Haven't really checked that and kinda doubt it (maybe on some diffuculty only?) ST-only fights are very very dull, just look at Star Augur. Gotta check this out though.
Moreover, ring won't change the stats value because Mastery is just too weak.
Of course it would, try playing with Temporal flux even now - boosts AB only, so you wanna cast those at max charges for as long as you can. But you cast them faster so you are mana-hungrier and you need that Mastery to back you up. The value of Mastery will go up because it will directly translate into damage.
Certainly hope it's true, it felt like hack from the very start.
testacular

Unread postby testacular Tue May 23, 2017 10:00 am

The kilt has good synergy with the tier 20, cause you can drop your arcane charges before you use POM and get mana back. I was able to use one POM with a rune between each arcane power(had POM ready again).
BUT with two additional instant arcane blasts you burn mana pretty quickly.
Hmm good point on that synergy. Although that makes 2 discharges in one AP CD which is like 24% mana extra. Given the Mastery level we (mostly) play at now, that translates into around 1.6 AB.
Given that you get two instant casts, that just kinda pays them back for you, fair enough I would say :)
Forrader

Unread postby Forrader Tue May 23, 2017 10:21 am

remark: this is 2 full ABs since mana regen also works during those casts.
testacular

Unread postby testacular Tue May 23, 2017 1:09 pm

remark: this is 2 full ABs since mana regen also works during those casts.
Well, that's what I meant, the pure discharge is 1,6 but in total it pays back the cost of those 2 AB.
Naustis

Unread postby Naustis Tue May 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Most of the fights in ToS are pure ST fights.
Haven't really checked that and kinda doubt it (maybe on some diffuculty only?) ST-only fights are very very dull, just look at Star Augur. Gotta check this out though.
Moreover, ring won't change the stats value because Mastery is just too weak.
Of course it would, try playing with Temporal flux even now - boosts AB only, so you wanna cast those at max charges for as long as you can. But you cast them faster so you are mana-hungrier and you need that Mastery to back you up. The value of Mastery will go up because it will directly translate into damage.
Certainly hope it's true, it felt like hack from the very start.
3 ToS fights have some burst AoE, 2-3 are cleave and rest Are pure ST fights. It is from HC version but i doubt that it will change on mythic.

And again Mastery is too weak even with TF. Even though TF will provide a bit higher dps during conserve phase, Burn phase is still the most important part. And there crit, vers and haste is much better than mastery. However, it may be so that Mastery can become better than Haste, but it still won't be the stat you want for all costs.
maynord

Unread postby maynord Tue May 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Mastery should be a good burn phase stat, seeing how it increases mana pool and gets max value at 4 charges (i.e. burn phase) but it really is just mathematically undertuned at the moment.

I would love if they massively buffed it. Not to Arms warrior levels, but to make it more desirable - would make our burn phases longer and less punishing, while making gearing slightly easier.
Doty

Unread postby Doty Thu May 25, 2017 5:50 pm

k-WoWScrnShot_052517_172157.jpg
My setup on PTR is kinda shitty
Arcane Mage PTR testing
Itemlevel 910

Tier 20 set Bonus
Soul of the Archmage: Gain Temporal Flux
Mystic Kilt of the Rune Master
Additional Buffs:
Flask of the Whispered Pac
Defiled Augment Rune
Versatility Buffood
Gnawed Thumb Ring(890)
Trinkets: Terror from Bellow(920), tarnished sentinel medallion(900)
Used Potion: potion of prolonged power(2)
Pure Single Target 4min 25 sec
DMG DONE: 915k DPS

All i can say to be honest I am not sure..
I think I don't have the perfect gear for Soul of the Archmage
Would need more versatility.

The only conclusion i can draw is that the ring is not broken or op, its quite good, but punishing if not played well.

I am by far not one of the best Arcane Mage here and I want to hear your opinion please !

Comment bellow, what you think of the Ring, while testing.
Naustis

Unread postby Naustis Thu May 25, 2017 6:25 pm

I did some tests on PTR today, and ring is sick :) I have 200ms there and playing with classic UI so that hurts my dps a lot. Results i get:

913ilvl - Kilt + shard + t19 + NH trinkets (whisper + metronome) = avarage 920k dps
913ilvl - Kilt + shard + t20 + NH trinkets (whisper + metronome) = Avarage of 930-950k dps
913ilvl - Kilt + Archmage + t20 + NH trinkets (whisper + metronome) = Avarage of 1.05kk dps (50-70k more)
913ilvl - Kilt + Archmage + t20 + ToS trinkets (Terror from Bellow and Kil'jaed trinket) pulled 1.1kk dps after 10 min fight
Fun fact: 913ilvl -shoulders + Archamge + t20 + ToS trinkets (Terror from Bellow and Kil'jaed trinket) = 1kk sustained dps

Ring will be bis for ST fights. Shoulders + Archmage may become bis for any Cleave fight.
Doty

Unread postby Doty Thu May 25, 2017 6:50 pm

See, I knew it :shock:
Thanks Naustis for your insight!
Can you give me some input how to manage conserve phase (MoA on cooldown, and POM, paired up with a rune) ?
I know its the wrong threat to ask but I really want to improve.
Naustis

Unread postby Naustis Thu May 25, 2017 7:54 pm

See, I knew it :shock:
Thanks Naustis for your insight!
Can you give me some input how to manage conserve phase (MoA on cooldown, and POM, paired up with a rune) ?
I know its the wrong threat to ask but I really want to improve.
MoA on cooldown, and POM, paired up with a rune <- exactly this :)

TBH i was doing same rotation as we use on live just with more charge dup. Have to still find a new better way how to use T20 :)
Mythlos

Unread postby Mythlos Thu May 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Yeah now that it has better secondary stat scaling, the ring is actually pretty damn good for ST.

They just need to fix the Shoulders bug of not generating charge and potentially AM on launch and it would be great on cleave with ring.

Return to “Arcane”