WoD Arcane PvP 6.0.2

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
Kharannos

WoD Arcane PvP 6.0.2

Unread postby Kharannos Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Hello there!

I was doing a little research about Arcane Mages PvP on Warlords of Draenor and I've found this forum through Arcane Brilliance, but I haven't found a lot of PvP content of WoD yet.

I know It's way too soon to create some kind of "PvP Guide" for the spec, because the patch was released just a few days ago, but what I'm trying to do is incite the sharing of knowledge about what we have available right now.

Starting with Talents...
On Tier 30, anyone managed to use Alter Time on PvP? I mean, It's a great active mitigation, but the long cooldown makes the mage completly vulnerable most of the times, simply because It's not up all the times.
Maybe I'm using it in a wrong way. Ice Barrier seems to me the only viable Defensive Talent on that row.

On Tier 75, what do you think about it? Nether Tempest is, for me, a great DoT (except for Arenas), but this new Supernova is just AMAZING. I feel bad for giving away both my bomb AND my frost nova for this, but Supernova has a faster cooldown than Frost Nova (25 secs, agains Frost Nova's 30 sec) and also has 2 charges. Supernova hurts A LOT, but won't root people long enough. It's more like an Interrupt and a DPS burst than a root.
What do you guys think about it? Is Nether Tempest any good in Battlegrounds? Or Supernova is just better?
I don't even looked at Unstable Magic. I mean, it's not bad. Sounds good. But between Supernova and the Bomb, i just think It is inferior to both options.

On Tier 90, do you guys already have a Talent of Choice?
Rune of Power always was God in PvE, but doing a little math, Incanter's Flow can be more powerful than RoP on 3 Ticks (4 charges, 5 charges, 4 charges), with +16% Spell Power, +20% and +16% again.
Since this cicle is repeated passively, I think overall Incanter's Flow is better than RoP, for giving you 40% of the time a bonus GREATER than RoP and 60% of the time a buff not that strong, but since It is a passive Talent, you don't need to spend a GCD to cast it nor stand in one place.
Mirror Image seems really good. I used when i was testing Fire Mage, but now, as Arcane, I'm starting to think Incanter's Flow overall damage is greater. What do you say?

Just a last question: how do you feel about Blizzard taking (almost) all of Arcane's spells from other specializations (Flamestrike, Blizzard, Ice Lances etc...).
Right now, i think the only "non-Arcane, non-Talent" spell Arcane Mages have is Cone of Cold (Ok, it is great).
Reading the words "ARCANE LOCKED" ruins my day...

Conclusion: I'm not creating this post just to get an answer to my questions. Ok.. that too.. But what I'm trying to do Is, as I've said, incite the sharing of knowledge.
This is not MY post, It is ours, to change experiences and help each other.
If you are willing to help and participate.

Thanks in advance and good week for everyone!
Kharannos - lvl 90 - Newbie Scholar Mage
Toytoy

Re: WoD Arcane PvP 6.0.2

Unread postby Toytoy Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:38 am

Alter Time is actually a great defensive CD and in my opinion, probably is close to Ice Block. It does require great anticipation for incoming damage or in some cases, repositioning yourself to avoid further damage. Ice Barrier has a shorter cooldown however, it only mitigates a fair enough amount of damage compared to Alter Time. The main point of these talents now in WOD is to allow players to choose talents which they think fit their playstyle and not choose what is the best on that tier.

Regarding NT versus SN, I think SN pulls ahead. In the realm of PVP, burst damage is first priority and that's where SN shines. Although the knock up time is not that much, SN can still serve as a interrupt during those vital moments when you need it.

On T90, it all depends again on your playstyle. MI can give you that on-demand damage burst, but has a CD on it. Although, IF has a sinusoidal damage buff, it's an average of 12.5% damage increase. It'll definitely take god-like powers to pull off ROP in PVP.

The idea of having spell school lockouts is lined with Blizz's intent of having less CCs in PVP and diminishing returns. Getting spell-locked for a small time is part of the game, however, getting locked for most of your PVP game is not fun at all and this all adds up to better decision-making and gameplay.
Kharannos

Unread postby Kharannos Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:17 am

Alter Time is actually a great defensive CD and in my opinion, probably is close to Ice Block. It does require great anticipation for incoming damage or in some cases, repositioning yourself to avoid further damage. Ice Barrier has a shorter cooldown however, it only mitigates a fair enough amount of damage compared to Alter Time. The main point of these talents now in WOD is to allow players to choose talents which they think fit their playstyle and not choose what is the best on that tier.
My argument here is: availability. Alter Time is great, as you said.

If you are playing a duel, It is the best choice, by far.
If you are playing Arenas, it is probably the best option either.
In BGs, on the other hand, I had problems using It. You cast Alter Time, but since the combat usually is "non-stopping", you are "vulnerable" most of the time.

I recently saw a guy on YouTube sugesting Ice Ward. I think I'll give it a try. 3 casts of Frost Nova is a really good way of running away from melee pursuers, especially if you have choosen Supernova.
Regarding NT versus SN, I think SN pulls ahead. In the realm of PVP, burst damage is first priority and that's where SN shines. Although the knock up time is not that much, SN can still serve as a interrupt during those vital moments when you need it.
Maybe Ice Ward can "fill the gap", but I'm feeling the mages (in general) way too vulnerable in PvP. The loss of Deep Freeze, Frost Nova (I'm using Supernova) and Alter Time (I'm using Ice Barrier) took away my best defensive options. This is my only complain.

Actually, I miss my bomb =/
On T90, it all depends again on your playstyle. MI can give you that on-demand damage burst, but has a CD on it. Although, IF has a sinusoidal damage buff, it's an average of 12.5% damage increase. It'll definitely take god-like powers to pull off ROP in PVP.
I used RoP in Battlegrounds on 5.4 MoP. You probably won't stay in RoP all the time, but It's easy to stay on it and snipe everyone. If you get targeted, Blazing Speed + Invisibility + Blink, hide away and do the same thing again.
You'd be surprised the time random people in BGs will take to notice you raining arcane death lol
The idea of having spell school lockouts is lined with Blizz's intent of having less CCs in PVP and diminishing returns. Getting spell-locked for a small time is part of the game, however, getting locked for most of your PVP game is not fun at all and this all adds up to better decision-making and gameplay.
True enough =)
Toytoy

Unread postby Toytoy Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:35 am

Maybe Ice Ward can "fill the gap", but I'm feeling the mages (in general) way too vulnerable in PvP. The loss of Deep Freeze, Frost Nova (I'm using Supernova) and Alter Time (I'm using Ice Barrier) took away my best defensive options. This is my only complain.
I'm not an elite PVP mage but I had my fair share of PVP games to kill the PVE boredom in WOW and I cant really say mages are "too vulnerable". Having 2 Blinks with a major glyph, Blazing Speed, Nitro-boost from Engineering profession (if you have it) as defensive (running way from damage is defense) abilities is already enough for us to play around with any melee player. Those removal, actually levelled the playing field in my opinion. BGs are more chaotic especially random ones but that's the one thing you have to live by.
Kharannos

Unread postby Kharannos Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Having 2 Blinks with a major glyph, Blazing Speed, Nitro-boost from Engineering profession (if you have it) as defensive (running way from damage is defense) abilities is already enough for us to play around with any melee player.
Those are, actually, mage spells, not Arcane ones. I know Arcane will use them, but the others can, too. Another thing: Those are move speed abilities, but they won't stop the enemies from chasing you after. Fire has Dragon's Breath. Frost has Deep Freeze. Everything Arcane have is also available to the other Specs. The difference could be Presence of Mind, but they nerfed it not allowing you to cast Polymorph with it (also Arcane is the ony spec without a spell or two to "prepare" the casting of Polymorph in Arenas).

On the other hand, I have found something incredible: Alter Time is actually REALLY GOOD on PvP. I've said otherwise here, but I've tested it a little more and Alter Time is really viable. The only problem is that the buff can be purged and you can't cast the "second time" while stunned. That can potentially wast this talent usefullness.

Anyways, It's still better (questionable) and more fun (in my opinion) than Ice Barrier :D

In PvE and Random BGs Arcane is a Beast! My major concern is using this spec in Arenas or Ranked BGs, while people actually KNOW what to do.

Return to “Arcane”