Tips for a new mage.

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Mana Adepts of Azeroth.
sparrag

Tips for a new mage.

Unread postby sparrag Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:33 pm

I've always wanted to main a mage but never really did it.

I usually play a hunter, because I like the mobility and flexibility of the class. In some sort of way I think mages are similar to hunters, I dont want to just make the "what spec is the best" questions. but rather what are some advices for a new mage?

How do you stay alive while leveling without a pet to tank for you? How do you solo elites?
Infarc

Re: Tips for a new mage.

Unread postby Infarc Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:40 pm

If you've always wanted to try playing a mage, you should certainly do so. It's always been my main (since WotLK). All 3 specs are fun in my opinion. I've used frost as my main mostly, however with the new expansion I've drifted to arcane for a change in flavor.

Mages are incredibly mobile, especially with the right spec and talents. Soloing can be very easy when you're comfortable with your spec. Arcane and Fire can usually nuke down a reasonable target easily, as can frost, with the added benefit of endless kiting. You have roots (Ice Nova), slows for both frost and arcane, a built-in immunity (Ice Block), of which frost can have two within 30 seconds! Don't forget a nice CC in Polymorph. Lastly, if you like mobility, how about being able to teleport yourself to your factions major cities on any continent, or opening a portal to any of those places for your entire party/raid team?

I've dabbled with some alts, but I enjoy playing a mage so much that I can't imagine ever giving it up. I hope you like it as well as I do!
Stay Frosty
roldy

Re: Tips for a new mage.

Unread postby roldy Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:55 pm

I've always wanted to main a mage but never really did it.

I usually play a hunter, because I like the mobility and flexibility of the class. In some sort of way I think mages are similar to hunters, I dont want to just make the "what spec is the best" questions. but rather what are some advices for a new mage?

How do you stay alive while leveling without a pet to tank for you? How do you solo elites?
If a mob can be slowed/rooted go frost and you should be able to solo it easily just by kiting. If it can't be cc'd and you're not able to burn it down before it reaches you (unless it does trivial damage) you're probably not going to kill it as a mage. Ranged enemies can be a pain as well since kiting is not possible.

Return to “Arcane”