[TC] What is Ignite?

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Mevlin

Re: [TC] What is Ignite?

Unread postby Mevlin Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:37 pm

- Improved Scorch (10% increased Fire Damage): FIreball crits for 1500 * 110% = 1650 --> Ignite generated for 1500 * 40 = 600 --> Increased to 600 * 110% = 660
I think you mean Ignite generated for 1650 * 40 = 660 --> Increased to 660 * 110% = 726. So ignite was modified by 110%^2 = 121% instead of simply 110%. I assumed this was your point :D
Mevlin

Unread postby Mevlin Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:38 pm

Oh and please do one for Arcane Missiles. I would love to read its history.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:35 pm

@Mevlin: Math was indeed off. Fixed!
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
rayzel

Unread postby rayzel Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:36 am

This guide and the WA script have caused the single largest improvement in my play I've seen to date. Thank you for this.
Roggendorf

Unread postby Roggendorf Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Great work with the weak aura. Best I've seen yet for the purpose.
Toytoy

Unread postby Toytoy Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:50 am

Dynamic Ignite WeakAura

At the time of writing, most of the popularly used Ignite WeakAuras use arbitrary color thresholds, such as "green when Ignite tick size > 20000". This isn't very meaningful for players with different gear, and does not take into account temporary effects such as weapon and trinket procs. As part of tinkering with Ignite, I've written a customized WeakAura that uses dynamic color thresholds. These thresholds are calculated based on your current character, so it will work for any gear level, and adjust itself for any proc or talent combo. It also displays the remaining ignite duration so you can better judge whether to use another spell.

Disclaimer:
This WeakAura is not meant as a guide for when to use Combustion. It is meant to help you judge the size of Ignite relative to your current gear/procs/buffs. This helps you tell whether using another Pyroblast/Inferno Blast can grow the Ignite further. Do NOT think of any color as a Combustion requirement. There is no "color you should reach" before using Combustion.

This WeakAura will stop being accurate whenever Blizzard decides to buff/nerf Inferno Blast and Pyroblast.

Here is the WA string, tested to work with WeakAuras2 2.1.0.2, using Patch 6.1 spell coefficients.

Code: Select all

d0urpaGii1LOOu(efLQrrQCksvRck1RarmljHBru1UiL(fvjnmq6yKILrv4zectdePRbf12Gc5BeLyCuL4CuuY7Gc4EGW(Gc1bPOAHsI8qIkMiuqxuOInsr(iuKrsivNKOyLs4LesHzkuPBsiANGO(jrPAOeLYsjK8uiMQq5Qqj2kHu0xjKsoluGAUeL0Ej5VuvdgDyqTyQIEmunzjPllAZqYNPWOfQ60aRgkqEnvPMnLUTKA3u53emCjA5cEorMUuxxiBhkPVtuPXtrX5juRNqk18Le1(vR0OIPqakezCDgqbJNYQm4cojzfPmTwFtGq6lJdh4YaCNkejfIhA1OfQwpui1kKQkKQQykeucUgbiANkidPEOqQcKkTWIJLMPviMnCfcEKuluhlntRqqf5WBGGtN(5fZ5CAfWHTtGHd0PFdW9EcXukTjERtdMRyIfhOnpkaRdDdhmYgDft0Yy4aDIUIPdyRyIw0nxuI0ewIlA96XaZlMZ50kGdBNadhOt)0mLGG4jetP0M4TozPIjwCG28OaSo0nCWiB0vmrlJHd0j6kMoGTIjAr3CrjstyjUO1RhdCXCoNautGHd0PFdW9EELHy6a2zhF6UyoNZ5CoTc4W2jWWb60pK1WaN0eIPuhaodTOec1WTo0MnTAqHUIjWWb60pntjiiEk)etzhduN60RhdCXCoNZ5CAfWHTtGHd05eIjWWb60Vb4ERvl6PzMO1Qfy4aD6hYAyGt6I5CoNZ58I5CoNZ5uE5NinClDXCoNZ5CAfWHTtPY0A9lfKBgMqmXu2iLP1wjbxKegcxdBK6MIyQ)I5CoNZ50kGdBN4bqpHywdC6M6Wu2iLP1kNaOLt8Wo8uNi0pLFkc9tSNA0kIkMAGcDQ)I5CoNZ50kGdBN1WsDgepHyIPSfjSuNbXXbfQeV1P)I5CoNZ50kGdBNyndsWnWcAXtiMykB5iu7jClk4g4mQKGlss3uoIYx0moIcX8yYexzIHb7JHMlsZXuC8XqzhYXzQ)I5CoNZ50kGdBN1r2gi1bG35eIjMYwKr2gi1bG3zCqHkXBD6VyoNZ5CoVyoNZ5CoLx(jszATLcYndtCHefkaoiDT0fZ5CoNZPvah2olfhe8XfsuOMqm9qlK6HiUyoNZ5CoTc4W2jWtFCHefQjetnAHQXlxmNZ5CoNxmNZ5CoNYl)uobqpRcxdBKtpfCrsxmNZ5CoNwbCy7epaA)QW1Wg5eIPhAHEXCoNZ5CEXCoNZ5CkV8tzliGp9mcfkPlMZ5CoNtRaoSDwkoi4xgeWNqmHQ1dmFXCoNZ5CEXCoNZ5CkV8ZyW201Z6iBdkTGmiDXCoNZ5CAfWHTZ6iBdkTGmmHyQrl0lMZ5CoNtaQjwCG28OaSo0LwyXzaDft0IkYLtbutztqUzaT(zhF6UyoNZ5CoNZ5SoY2GslidtiM1r2guAbzyI9uJwny(I5CoNZ5mTsja1eloqBEuawh6slS4mGUIjAzC4WUodMDPPjRGCrRF2XNUlMZ5CoNZ5CoRJSnO0cYWeIzDKTbLwqgMyp1OvJhxmNZ5CoNPR6fZ5CoNZja1uhwCG2uK1cz46uh6goyKnA9tiGyIw2caPA4gGpLtqSudBrRFc7QoXId0Yb2zE3W4ERdDPfwCgqxXeDdhmYgT(zhF6UyoNZ5CoNZ5SoY2GslidtiM1r2guAbzyITgTI4I5CoNZ5mDvVyoNZ5CoVyoNZ5CoTc4W25SuCqWhy4aDoHykvMwRFPGCZWe7zP4GGpUqIc1eBDtntizQBI1mib3alOfp96uduOt9t9tSN6M1WsDgep96uduOt9tSN6MAGKPUzDKTbsDa4DoXEcvlgn96uduOt96Nyp1n1mHKzP4GGFzqaFQFI9SoY2GslidxmNZ5CoNwbCy7SuCqWhpaAFGHd05eIzP4GGpWWb6CI9epaA)QW1Wg5fZ5CoNZPvah2olfhe8HXQHpWWb6CcXSuCqWhy4aDoHKzP4GGpEa0(adhOZj2tDt8aONEDQbk0P(lMZ5CoNtRaoSDc80hy4aDoHykvMwRFPGCZWe7jWtFCHefQj2t8aO9RcxdBKtSN6MAMqYu3eRzqcUbwqlE61PgOqN6N6Nyp1nRHL6miE61PgOqN6Nyp1n1ajtDZ6iBdK6aW7CI9eQwmA61PgOqN61pXEwhzBqPfKHlMZ5CoNZlMZ5CoNZlMZ5CoNtaQjWWb60Vb4EpX4zP4GGpEa0(adhOZzhF6UyoNZ5CoNZ5mKDuWnrxzCtM8IxGc1Kj0A1cmCGoVyoNZ5CotRucqnbgoqN(na37jgplfhe8HXQHpWWb6C2XNUlMZ5CoNZ5CodzhfCt0vg3KjtMGcfku0A1cmCGoVyoNZ5CotRucqnbgoqN(na37jgplfhe8bgoqNZo(0DXCoNZ5CoNZzi7OGBIUY4MmzYeM9cuOO1Qfy4aDEXCoNZ5CMwPeGAcmCGo9BaU3tmEc80hy4aDo74t3fZ5CoNZ5CoNHSJcUj6kJBYKjtMmbfkATAbgoqNxmNZ5CoNPvkVyoNZ5CoNZ5mKDuWnrxzCtMGc1KjOqrRvlWWb68I5CoNZ5mDvVyoNZ0v9I0vvHiw2rHskBfKL3dOqviahO9XfQlTzNvvqwJcjKgabxmXLPcPtZ0ke4QvbnqWbB97aWWidsQyQwHGbfj1auIviIsgmj6XuiGQkezmCGoNIuWbAHGcPAkHRqWqXo4Aa(ugdhOZzhGX9g4mMDAMw7u0ka6oDtpfpfneQRHNcOMMNbqoLTe2B5XcIcrUGQD8ktMfuOyKzHzzbJWip8IiGIzZYdfk5XSiuiOeCTcjUapZaCdeCteyNKcXfvhlammYGKcYAuiXNaJ4BLjifZqfHSilEbsHIzr4fivJz5HcL8y2dfIvaUQkMcjsk9DjwZGYtfsdBtxRIPqQJSnqft1QwHGBHLKuXuisaNHnviI0CmfhvRqQcqHcGhzBXQykK6iBduXuTQvibbBQIPqQJSnqft1QwHejL(sLjUQskePYexftHibCg2ubzpuTcjaJNQykK6iBduXuTQvirsPpUfwssvjvRq6aWWidQykKqwRqGQqeKRt2DwXQkPqCW1PKkMcYAuiYy4aDQAfcEKulu7hpOAQqAqDwvHif5zI101irOqbmJcXhdnxKMJP4OqKktRfYW1PcrgdhOtfIKquapJCGwH0WbJSvijwtxRqKJqTNW9mUcgkKQPNrOqftCzQqeDZfLinHL4QqIKsFPY0AHmCDQ8uHejL(scrb8mYbALNkKqwl7LzaUfckemgcfsKlXA6AfsdQZQkKihOvinCWiBfsKukQSwvjvRAfcSkMcrgdhOtfImUodOGXtzvgCbNKSIuMwRVjqi9LXHdCzaUtvRqWQcYAGup0OALca
Screenshot:
Color Code

Currently there are 5 colors: Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple. These are listed in increasing Ignite tick size, using a color code akin to "severity levels".
Green: 1 tick of Ignite is smaller than the contribution from 1 Inferno Blast. This Ignite should be easily increasable by chaining Fireballs/Pyroblasts/Inferno Blasts.
Yellow: 1 tick of Ignite is smaller than the contribution from 1 non-crit Pyroblast. This Ignite should be further increasable by chaining Pyroblasts.
Orange: 1 tick of Ignite is smaller than the contribution from 1 average Pyroblast. This Ignite can only be further increased by critical-strike Pyroblasts.
Red: 1 tick of Ignite is smaller than the contribution from 1 crit Pyroblast. You have a chance to increase this Ignite if you are in point-blank range, your next Pyroblast is a crit with good multistrike luck, and it lands before a second tick happens. This color will sometimes appear due to trinket procs expiring.
Purple: 1 tick of Ignite is larger than the contribution of even a crit Pyroblast. The only spell expected to increase this further would be an unsplit crit Meteor that was casted earlier. This color is normally unachievable unless you use 2T17 double-spread Ignites. You should use Combustion and Inferno Blast as soon as possible.

I hope this WeakAura answers some of the common "when to stop using Pyroblasts" and "what Ignite is huge/really small" questions. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep this up-to-date and maybe even factor in travel-time estimations for Pyroblast, which would be very nice for actually knowing whether a spell will increase Ignite.

May the RNG gods bless you with Pyroblast crits for large Ignites!
Thank you very much Komma for this awesome WA script. I do not know how to work the WA custom functions, but could you help me learn on how to add/remove timer on the text?
Naedrim

Unread postby Naedrim Tue May 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Thank you very much Komma for this awesome WA script. I do not know how to work the WA custom functions, but could you help me learn on how to add/remove timer on the text?
Under display you can change the custom text. If you click Expand Text Editor you can edit what will show up. If you're specifically looking to remove the timer part of the weak aura, change the line

local ignite = ignite_tick.." x "..ignite_remains

to

local ignite = ignite_tick

and it should just display the ignite amount.
Toytoy

Unread postby Toytoy Tue May 12, 2015 10:20 pm

Under display you can change the custom text. If you click Expand Text Editor you can edit what will show up. If you're specifically looking to remove the timer part of the weak aura, change the line

local ignite = ignite_tick.." x "..ignite_remains

to

local ignite = ignite_tick

and it should just display the ignite amount.
Thank you Naedrim.
Lopsey

Unread postby Lopsey Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:14 pm

This is an exceptional post, thank you for the time you spent creating this!
Kanariya

Unread postby Kanariya Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:15 am

Fantastic thread. Loving the detail in here, and the history as well! It's great to see Ignite thoroughly explained. Helps me understand exactly how WoD changed it.
The first problem was that Vanilla Ignites didn't have a "bank" system. Ignite was a talent that was triggered whenever a Fire spell landed as a critical strike. If an active Ignite was present, it would first refresh the duration of Ignite, reset the tick timer, and then add damage to it. This meant that with enough fire mages attacking the same target, you could theoretically never let Ignite tick, and build the damage to infinity damage per tick.
Nitpicking this part. I don't recall Ignite ever having its tick timer reset from rolls in vanilla. I believe it would just add another tick for each crit. As long as Ignite was on the target, it would tick every two seconds until it expired from a lack of crits. Could be wrong tho, but vids from Vanilla don't really seem to show the tick timer pausing.

Also Improved Scorch was +15% Fire Damage. :D
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Hrm. I guess I might have been mistaken about the tick timer. That might have been before the 5 crit cap. I'll fix that.

Improved scorch was changed several times! I'm pretty sure it was 2% or some other value at some point.
Admin of Altered Time.

Kanariya

Unread postby Kanariya Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:26 pm

You're right, Improved Scorch was changed quite a bit. For most of Vanilla it was 10% at 5 stacks. It didn't get buffed to 15% til the Mage talent review in the Naxx patch (and for some time in early game, created its own Ignite).

As obscenely broken as Rolling Ignite was, I think it's what really made playing a Fire Mage fun during classic. No one could match a 5x Ignite in DPS, let alone even hit harder than a single tick. It was crazy, especially when one mage who was sitting lower on DamageMeters (or the other one, forgot the name) would get the next Ignite and skyrocket far beyond the rest of the dps. I think what was most broken about it though was that it could also stack on players.
Haakenloob

Unread postby Haakenloob Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Wonderful post Komma, thank you! I'm just getting back into playing and I think this will help me understand Ignite and Combustion much better. Again, many thanks for for the wonderful work on this post and all the work you do for the site!
mido

Unread postby mido Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks for the post Komma, was a nice informative read.

Quick question, it seems as if you pyroblast! and critted (hotstuff?) buff the "(" "(" ----- ")" ")" are different to the standard. I seem to have an issue where it is too close to me when the raid is stacked and it is not easy to see.

Anyone know a WA import to make it more visible, either bigger/flashier or spread out?
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:25 pm

Updated WA to include 4T18, ring and heirloom trinket.
Admin of Altered Time.

adclaw

Unread postby adclaw Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:06 pm

I had some problem to load this wa. Think that the problem is client that isent english.
What i must traduce for let aura work (player,name of auras,target, ecc ecc.)

ty
Killua

Unread postby Killua Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:48 am

This is a really awesome post, and informative for a newborn Mage such as myself (re-rolling for Legion). I guess this becomes less crucial however for Legion due to the changes to Combustion? Or do you think there will be uses where it will be beneficial to aim to pool for high Ignite stacks for a particular phase (ie. just before a spread tick when adds should spawn)?
Araitik

Unread postby Araitik Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:28 am

I took the liberty of updating the LUA function in the WeakAura.

Basically :

- Removed Multistrike
- Updated SP coefficients
- Updated Rune of Power coefficient
- Updated Hot Streak coefficient
- Removed unneccessary Prismatic Crystal reference (good ridden)

EDIT: removed since Komma updated the original WA. Go to the OP and grab it !

Due to Combustion and Rune of Power massive change, you might see purple quite a lot (my Ignite reached over 100k during testing on dummies).

Of course, now this Ignite Weakaura is not nearly as useful as before, but I think it's still nice to know when you're doing well.

To replace the function in your WeakAura (I'm only linking the function because I modified the original WA), go in Display, click on "Expand Text Editor", remove everything and paste the code above, then click Done and close WA.

Please notify me of any code mistake !

Enjoy :)
Last edited by Araitik on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:21 am

I posted an updated version in my workbench thread in the addon/macro forums, but thanks, Aratik! It's very similar to what you have. I'll move that one over to replace the one in this thread. I still need to update this thread for 7.0.
I had some problem to load this wa. Think that the problem is client that isent english.
What i must traduce for let aura work (player,name of auras,target, ecc ecc.)
I'll need to rewrite part of the code before it can work with clients in other languages. I received some advice from the Weak Auras Discord server regarding this issue, too.
Admin of Altered Time.

Araitik

Unread postby Araitik Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:21 pm

It's very similar to what you have.o.
I suppose you meant "it's much more thorough and includes a ton of interesting stuff" haha :D

Thank you for updating the WA string, I immediately replaced the code I had with this one.

I'll also remove the code in my previous post, yours is obviously better, mine was just a fix of your previous work :)

Return to “Fire”