Proper usage of kj trinket (not legendary)

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
magictricks

Proper usage of kj trinket (not legendary)

Unread postby magictricks Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:21 am

So I bonus rolled a 935 socketed kj trinket and I'm not really sure how to use it.
It sims 20k dps more then my arcano and erratic.

i'm guessing I pop it on the pull to put it on cd right away, but then I get the bonus crit just as the boss hits sub 90% and I'm gonna hit combustion anyways.
Should I save it and use it during combustion so that I get the crit after or aim to put it on an add that's about to die for a 24 second buff at a totally different part of the fight.

I'm confused about what it's meant to do.
lidorine

Re: Proper usage of kj trinket (not legendary)

Unread postby lidorine Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:21 pm

i droped a 940 from the followers mission, if only it was the owl...

if you look at the sim, you'll see that you should hold it to use on combustion, and use on cd between combustions
Bluemanmage

Unread postby Bluemanmage Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:07 pm

I use it during combustion so that it crits :P
ezekielyo

Unread postby ezekielyo Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:44 pm

I haven't tested it but the ideal usage would be to let it go off right at the end of combustion so it 100% crits and the crit buff afterwards isn't wasted (since bust is 100% crit chance).
Smaiki

Unread postby Smaiki Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 am

I haven't tested it but the ideal usage would be to let it go off right at the end of combustion so it 100% crits and the crit buff afterwards isn't wasted (since bust is 100% crit chance).
It's not wasted as crit rating counts as mastery rating while combustion.
For me, mastery even sims higher than crit. So using it right with combustion is ok.

PS: Simcraft only used the KJ trinket once every 2 minutes with combustion whereas you could use it on CD every minute and it would be still up for every combustion.
So you can double the DOT dps + crit rating from simcraft results. All in all, this trinket shouldn't be too bad as some people rate it.
(Dunno if it is already fixed, but when I reported this in discord, I was told that there wasn't any trinket related "special handling" in yet. You can check it with the "interval" column in sim results, 60sec or 120sec.)
ezekielyo

Unread postby ezekielyo Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:12 am

It's not wasted as crit rating counts as mastery rating while combustion.
For me, mastery even sims higher than crit. So using it right with combustion is ok.
The dot lasts 12 seconds so you are benefiting from 4%~ extra mastery for 2 seconds or 1 spell. Having the extra crit strike for that one spell outside of combustion to generate a HotStreak/Heating up with that 1 spell seems more value from a gut feeling.
Purplefrost

Unread postby Purplefrost Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:51 pm

I use it with about 10 seconds left on combustion and then on CD when not combusting. It's off the GCD so popping it during a combustion GCD is totally applicable.

Return to “Fire”