[All ilvls] Akraen's Gearing Priority Flowchart

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Akraen
Staff emeritus

[All ilvls] Akraen's Gearing Priority Flowchart

Unread postby Akraen Thu May 29, 2014 12:38 pm

If you have any questions on what items to wear please post them in the questions forum: http://altered-time.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17" target="_blank
Solaih

Re: [All ilvls] Akraen's Gearing Priority Flowchart

Unread postby Solaih Sat May 31, 2014 12:31 pm

I apologise for my stupid questions but I just can't get it into my head right...

When you say wear 2pc do you mean at any ilvl? e.g. I can follow the graph from <560 to do you have 1 or 2 warforged pieces (normal) and it indicates me to wear 2pc. Does that mean I should swap my normal gloves and shoulders for LFR tier pieces?
Ragiousmagus

Unread postby Ragiousmagus Sat May 31, 2014 4:09 pm

I apologise for my stupid questions but I just can't get it into my head right...

When you say wear 2pc do you mean at any ilvl? e.g. I can follow the graph from <560 to do you have 1 or 2 warforged pieces (normal) and it indicates me to wear 2pc. Does that mean I should swap my normal gloves and shoulders for LFR tier pieces?
From my understanding, any 2pc is better than none, even if the none includes 5 normal pieces. However, 2pc is significantly better than 4pc, so it really sin't a big deal if you don't have a 4pc. It is a big deal if you don't have a 2pc.

So, if you're over 540 ilvl and under 560 and you have no tier, getting tier should be your priority regardless of the tier's item level. Gloves > shoulders > head > chest > legs for priority of what 2 pieces to wear, as stated above in the flowchart.

At least this is my take. I tried to search for you on the armory to see what your situation looks like, however I couldn't find you. :P
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Sat May 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Yep with regards to 2 piece. 4 piece is negligible. As long as you have 2 piece, go with ilvl/stats.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

I solve problems. Have a problem? Send me a PM!
Solaih

Unread postby Solaih Sat May 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks, I'll be picking up my 2pc asap!
irishprodigy

Unread postby irishprodigy Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:41 am

So man ive been playing mage for a while but not on the raiding scale. If you get a chance and you check my toon let me know if i need to change anything for raiding thanks http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/i ... y/advanced" target="_blank
Niphyr

Unread postby Niphyr Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:41 pm

So man ive been playing mage for a while but not on the raiding scale. If you get a chance and you check my toon let me know if i need to change anything for raiding thanks http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/i ... y/advanced" target="_blank
Read this thread then post in this forum to get some help with your gear / log analysis and so forth.
Sokrates

Unread postby Sokrates Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi!
I have read a littlebit cause i feel maybe my stats are wrong.
So first of all heres my armory http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... s/advanced" target="_blank

I got the BBoY trinket because I always thaught it was bis for frost mage, but as I can see I should maybe have gone for the KTT trinket instead since my haste is 17k+ but what is actual best for frost mages, a haste build or mastery build? and should i stop on 14242 haste and then stack mastery or should I just go for max haste in a haste build? I also got warforged legs and shoulders in my bag that i can swap the tier pieces for, currently using the set gear since Ive already upgraded it, but gues I should go for only 2 set then? :) So do anyone have any good feedback for me on my char's stats?
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi!
I have read a littlebit cause i feel maybe my stats are wrong.
So first of all heres my armory http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... s/advanced" target="_blank

I got the BBoY trinket because I always thaught it was bis for frost mage, but as I can see I should maybe have gone for the KTT trinket instead since my haste is 17k+ but what is actual best for frost mages, a haste build or mastery build? and should i stop on 14242 haste and then stack mastery or should I just go for max haste in a haste build? I also got warforged legs and shoulders in my bag that i can swap the tier pieces for, currently using the set gear since Ive already upgraded it, but gues I should go for only 2 set then? :) So do anyone have any good feedback for me on my char's stats?
That entirely depends on your playstyle and skill :)

For example, I don't have heroic BBoY yet, and I intend to be progressing on Heroic Paragons & Heroic Garrosh using all 588 gear and a 561 BBoY just to hit the 28k haste breakpoint. That's one extreme.

You should probably pick either 14242 haste or 19347 haste. Being in-between isn't really good unless you're doing a specific setup for TFP or Galakras that relies on a NT sub-breakpoint.
Sokrates

Unread postby Sokrates Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:54 pm

Okei, ill try out both of those haste points ad test it out a little bit. Its probably stupid, cause I kow that I should use NT but Im currently using frost bomb, so guess those sub breakpoint arent anything to care to much about ^^
Mumrit

Unread postby Mumrit Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:23 pm

If you're intent on using frost bomb you can ignore the haste break points in the chart. It's for people who are using the DoTs :)

I use frost bomb and found that 49.26% haste raid buffed (13961 rating for non-goblins) is the best sweet-spot I could find. At that point your spells are GCD capped. Further haste will still benefit frost bomb, but not enough to offset the gains from mastery.
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:41 pm

You should try frostbomb with 28.8k haste. I played around with it last night and it was like I was on speed.
Zenith

Re: [Advanced][ilvl 540-582] Visual Frost Guide 5.4

Unread postby Zenith Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Hey I was wondering if you could justify using FCoR over KTT if it's 12 levels higher. Right now I have a 553 FCoR and a 528 KTT, but the multistrike is a respectable part of my DPS. I can't rly see how the proc int bonus makes up for it.
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Re: [Advanced][ilvl 540-582] Visual Frost Guide 5.4

Unread postby Akraen Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Hey I was wondering if you could justify using FCoR over KTT if it's 12 levels higher. Right now I have a 553 FCoR and a 528 KTT, but the multistrike is a respectable part of my DPS. I can't rly see how the proc int bonus makes up for it.
Hi - quick mod note: I moved your post here, since this is the thread about gear.

On Iron Juggernaut, Malkorok, and Thok I would probably still go ahead and use the KTT. However, if the FCoR can cleave at all, it does have a better int proc than KTT and the 12 item levels will substantially increase your snapshottable DPS.

Its cleave effect is quite good but sporadic and relies heavily on tank strategies, so it's a very gray area.
Txivmagus

Unread postby Txivmagus Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:09 am

Hello Akraen. Did you ever get a chance to see if Crit at 581+ i level ( and HWF Bindings) was equal to mastery? Or at least if it was good beyond the cap? I have so many pieces to mix and match and am curious. If it is equal to mastery couldn't a frost mage potentially use 4 piece?
Akraen
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Akraen Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:09 pm

You'd never want to use 4pc due to the low item levels.

There's no real conclusive result from testing and mathing, other than this:

The more haste you gain relative to mastery, the greater value crit has with no established break-even point.
The more mastery you gain relative to haste, the greater value crit has with no established break-even point.

The reason being in the case of haste, the mage bomb and frostbolt do not benefit from shatter and they are the primary benefactors of haste.
The reason being in the case of mastery, frostbolt crits are the primary icicle generator.

This is just a gut feeling but I think if you aren't going for any haste breakpoints there's an argument that all 3 stats really are quite equal.

All of this stuff is assuming 9.7% amplification.
Vellox

Unread postby Vellox Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Just curious, with the new ilvl cap are Gloves and Shoulders still our best tier?
durrtygoodz

Unread postby durrtygoodz Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Yeah
Plastik

Unread postby Plastik Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Hello,

First of all, thank you for the hard work and dedication that you have invested into these series of guidelines, it's been a massive benefit for my game.

Also, I was wondering if any of you could give me any advice on whether I should make any modifications on my stats. Currently, I have 18367 haste with the BBY'S, which is - if I'm not mistaken - only a few hundreds away from the next NT/LB breakpoint (18960).

My dilemma is: should I pursue the next breakpoint by replacing gems (and losing some of the int socket bonuses), or I should use KTT, stick with 14242 haste and adjust the mastery and crit rates accordingly?
Alternatively, could it be just a question of playing style and I should decide which one suits me the most?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... tik/simple
flameburn

Unread postby flameburn Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:16 am

Good morning, this is all very confusing to me.
I have had my mage as my main for the last 8-9 years, and since I reached 90 I've been clueless, searching and checking tips or guides on how to improve my dps, which everyone says it is lackluster. I may add a warcraftlogs in a few hours, if it helps.

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... n/advanced" target="_blank

What I've been doing: Checking the oficial forums, reading icy-veins, using AskMrRobot. I don't have access to a raiding guild, so I mostly ran LFR with a bit of Flex and Normal PUG's.

Added info: These are the pieces I am currently confused on which to use:
Head:
*(528) LFR Tier "Chronomancer Hood" http://wowhead.com/item=99084" target="_blank
*(540) Flex "Hood of Swirling Senses" http://wowhead.com/item=104673" target="_blank

Shoulders:
*(528) LFR Tier "Chronomancer Mantle" http://wowhead.com/item=99079" target="_blank
*(559) Normal Warforged "Shay-Nii's Popping Shoulderpads" http://wowhead.com/item=105797" target="_blank

Belt:
*(551) "Belt of the Night Sky" http://wowhead.com/item=98612" target="_blank
*(559) Warforged "Venruki's Venerable Sash" http://wowhead.com/item=105781" target="_blank

Tier that I have:
Normal: Gloves, Legs
LFR: Shoulders, Head, Chest

Several days ago I installed TellMeWhen and I configured both my trinkets, the meta gem and set bonus (the four piece I think) for snapshotting and currently only killed a boss or two with it while logging it through the warcraftlogs addon. I think the problem with my dps is most likely the uptime on LB and FrostFire/FingersofFrost usage. I really hope the problem is not snapshotting, I pretty much despise the concept...

I can't think of anything else to add.

I would be immenselly grateful if you could help me, even if a little bit!

[Edited for readability]
Last edited by flameburn on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Frost”