[7.2] Frost Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legendary

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Chevy

Re: [7.1.5] Frost Talents, Trinkets, Racials, Stats, Legenda

Unread postby Chevy Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:15 am

Just a quick question on the talent setup. For the RoF, IF, IN, UM,TV setup, is there any specific rotation?
oneeyedhobbit

Unread postby oneeyedhobbit Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:12 am

Just a quick question on the talent setup. For the RoF, IF, IN, UM,TV setup, is there any specific rotation?
I'm also curious about this--specifically how to use RoF in conjunction with TV. Normally RoF pairs with icy veins, but it seems like 10 seconds with no FoF/BF procs would be less than idea. Is it just a "cast on CD" ability? Do you sneak it in when IV is about to end anyway?
brownin

Unread postby brownin Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:10 pm

The rotation I use is Frostbolt -> Water Jet -> Frostbolt -> Rune of Power -> Icy Veins -> Frozen Orb -> Dump FoF -> Ebonbolt -> Flurry instantcast -> Ice Lance -> Dump FoF(if any OR cast Frostbolt until Rune of Power is ready for use again) -> Rune of Power -> Ray of Frost -> Frostbolt -> Water Jet -> Frostbolt -> Dump FoF ==== After this point you're going to be hoping for procs to keep your Icy Veins up. I don't have the legendary gloves, so after this point I don't tend to have Icy Veins up for much longer.

As you're using Incanters Flow, just take out Rune of Power from the rotation.
The reason I use Rune of Power is due to it lasting 10 seconds, which is the same as Ray of Frost. They almost seem like they were meant to be used together. With Incanters Flow you're going to be having to try and wait for your Incanters to be at it's highest before using your Ray of Frost which just makes things even more complicated.

I've read some people open up with Ebonbolt so it's off CD quicker but then it pushes back your Water Jet CD on your water elemental which comes off CD at the exact time Ray of Frost finishes casting with the above rotation. Test both out and see which you prefer.
Searix

Unread postby Searix Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:48 am

dumping this here

latest sims using glove apl

belovir a really strong option since it has our 2 best stats as TV (crit/haste) and a ton of int/stamina

for the slight dps loss, consider using it
Jics

Unread postby Jics Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Interesting to see bracers taking over shard and veins not being top relic.
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 pm

He's using Lonely Winter for those sims, which is often worse than bonechilling when using legendary gloves. Bonechilling lets you use water jet/freeze, which extends your icy veins, which increases the value of icy veins. The shorter your icy veins->the less value you get out of icy veins relics. If you're running bonechilling, icy veins relics and ice lance relics are about equal in strength (assuming mag bracers).
Seprest

Unread postby Seprest Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:48 am

Belovir helps 100% mitigate damage. Rarely drop below 90% on orb explosiosn on krosos, for instance. Will be sad to see it go when I get a 2nd DPS legendary.

wtb 1 dps 1 utility legendary system in 7.20...

*ring just dropped for me. Only good robe looks like it comes from Chronomatic anomly, as I'm not convinced of the use of the 4set vs better items in 2 slots.
Jics

Unread postby Jics Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:46 am

He's using Lonely Winter for those sims, which is often worse than bonechilling when using legendary gloves. Bonechilling lets you use water jet/freeze, which extends your icy veins, which increases the value of icy veins. The shorter your icy veins->the less value you get out of icy veins relics. If you're running bonechilling, icy veins relics and ice lance relics are about equal in strength (assuming mag bracers).
Thank you, makes perfect sense.

I have all 3 legendaries, glove, shard, bracers.
currently, shard is simming about 50k higher than bracers for me.

however, I'm a little skeptical because you don't get the full benefits on every boss fight in NH.

but on the other hand, shard's stats are pretty neat..
blackgandolf

Unread postby blackgandolf Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:33 pm

Is there a way to make the APL only benefit from 2 hero/lusts vs 3? In a few fights, we hold hero until maybe phase 3 so at most I will only benefit from hero/lust twice as opposed to the 3 times the sims use on fights over 5 mins long. This would allow me to swap to a different lego on those fights, assuming not using optimal amounts of hero/lusts lowers its "value".

Or am I mistaken in how the apl optimizes the TW ring?
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:20 pm

You can restrict the APL to only use Time Warp in the first, say, 4.5 minutes.

Code: Select all

actions+=/time_warp,if=(...)&time<270
This should give you the first two uses, but not the last one that happens 5 minutes into the fight.
Searix

Unread postby Searix Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:55 am

using a little bit of sim optimization, lonely winter is best for glove spec and indeed for all legendary profiles

using lonely winter (again, beat all bc profiles) with mythic nighthold profile

here's the pastebin if you want to go over it: http://pastebin.com/FZvre29X" target="_blank
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:48 pm

I have all 3 legendaries, glove, shard, bracers.
currently, shard is simming about 50k higher than bracers for me.
I don't have shard, so I can't say for certain, but all of the best logs for TV builds are either using shard and bracers or gloves and bracers. None of them are shard + gloves. Depending on the fight duration (and when your group uses lust), shard is usually the best standalone legendary. But the synergy between gloves and bracers makes up for the individual strength that shard has (gloves+bracers makes it very, very realistic to maintain 6 stacks from the bracers for your entire IV, and all of the the free FoF from gloves are getting the bonus damage from having 6 stacks. Almost all of my ice lances (1+ CR stacks usually) hit for over 1 million because of having 6 stacks. I would recommend never removing the bracers. Bracers just synergize incredibly well with our other legendaries -shard too- (and that sweet sweet cleave damage).
Jfmage

Unread postby Jfmage Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:00 am

Is there any optimal level of haste we should be pushing for, after hitting the crit soft cap?

Basing on my profile as follows
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... age/simple" target="_blank

I feel that i yet to stack enough haste but my simulations result on ST is suggesting that
My simulations is suggesting that vers > haste > mastery > crit.
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Vers is not a bad stat for us. You have a very low amount of vers (<3k), so you get a lot of benefit per point of vers with your current gear. We don't want to ignore all stats in favor of stacking one stat, optimizing gear is more about optimizing our ratios between our secondary stats (up until caps, such as crit softcap)
poorprae

Unread postby poorprae Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Is RoF really that great? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Using LW, IF, SI, UM, TV, I'm able to get 530-550k on a dummy as IV comes up (2nd time) w/ +375 crit food. With RoF (no RoP), I find myself dipping under 500k before IV is off CD.

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/us/s ... raelicious" target="_blank
Muphrid

Unread postby Muphrid Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:14 pm

These sims predate the flurry change; run your own with newer builds of simc. For me, any Ray build is several percent behind BC or LW builds on single target.
nafuch

Unread postby nafuch Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Just a question for some of the experts on here :)

I see icy veins have now put crit as the main stat?

http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/frost-mage ... t-priority

I'm surprised as haste took such a hit from the patch
Abrakadavar

Unread postby Abrakadavar Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here:

Quick question:
Where does a Crit or Haste Brinewater Slime show up in the sim rankings? Am I just not seeing something? Trying to evaluate my priorities for my weekly seals.
Illeriia

Unread postby Illeriia Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here:

Quick question:
Where does a Crit or Haste Brinewater Slime show up in the sim rankings? Am I just not seeing something? Trying to evaluate my priorities for my weekly seals.
I'm fairly certain that those are not on the sims due to them simply being stat sticks. My 880 Int/Crit brinewater slime is currently higher than all my other equal trinkets, including an 875 shock baton. Its more of something you just need to sim I suppose, for stat sticks I would suggest just simming scaling, and then take whatever the top stat is there and judge whether its worth it or not, if you don't want to sim the different rolls of the stat sticks.
Illeriia

Unread postby Illeriia Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Just a question for some of the experts on here :)

I see icy veins have now put crit as the main stat?

http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/frost-mage ... t-priority

I'm surprised as haste took such a hit from the patch
Crit is currently rated very high due to the shatter cap (33.34%) so that your shatter skills crit 100% of the time. After that, crit falls behind int, haste, and vers if I recall correctly.

Return to “Frost”