Frost PvE Rotation/Priority

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
nathyiel

Re: Frost PvE Rotation/Priority

Unread postby nathyiel Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:26 am

Another optimisation that could be made (but I don't know if SimC can do it properly) :
cast Freeze instead of Water Jet on 2+ targets that can be frozen.

The main idea is that it reduce FoF munching, can help maintain buff like Thermal Void and increase DPS by shatter combo a few ticks of Blizzard/Frozen Orb/Comet Storm.
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
pijopenchev

Unread postby pijopenchev Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:38 pm

With all said, what kind of DPS do you guys pull off on the Raid Dummies?
jabarri1

Unread postby jabarri1 Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:42 am

325k for the most part. Rarely lower than 310k on dummies.
syypher

Unread postby syypher Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:01 am

What is the rotation for frost for single and aoe? I've seen the one on icy veins... is that pretty much on point? :?:
Allayva

Unread postby Allayva Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:13 am

With all said, what kind of DPS do you guys pull off on the Raid Dummies?
For a 356 ilvl I'm doing about 300k on nythendra and Ursoc
What is the rotation for frost for single and aoe? I've seen the one on icy veins... is that pretty much on point? :?:
In raids (particularly EN) it's all single target rotation to which cleave doesn't modify your rotation any (removes Frozen Touch to pick up Splitting Ice). Even for AoE though there's not much to change. Maybe replacing CmS for TV if you're not caring about ST sustained dps and really just pushing aoe damage. If there's a priority target I've still found picking TV to be the stronger output for the added haste for a longer time period.

Most of the goal in your rotation is to clear out Fingers of Frost charges and Flurry procs and fill with ebonbolt when it's up then blizzard/frostbolt elsewise. CD's like Water Jet, Frozen Touch, and Frozen Orb are mostly used such that you're not over-capping FoF charges and generally provides a very fluid rotation that's not something you can usually set as in stone.
Vexim

Unread postby Vexim Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:00 am

In terms of Artifact traits, did anyone go for Black Ice first? How is the damage output on it?
I personally went into It's Cold Outside, the pet talent first, however now i'm at a crossroads and need to choose either Black Ice or a 15% increase in FB.
Would anyone be able to shine a bit of light on this one for me? :)
Norrinir
Global Moderator

Unread postby Norrinir Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:49 am

In terms of Artifact traits, did anyone go for Black Ice first? How is the damage output on it?
I personally went into It's Cold Outside, the pet talent first, however now i'm at a crossroads and need to choose either Black Ice or a 15% increase in FB.
Would anyone be able to shine a bit of light on this one for me? :)
Black Ice is basically 20% damage increase to your Icicles. As mastery is your worst stat, this trait tends to provide very low DPS increase.

However, if the choice is between spending 3 traits on the Frostbolt trait (Icy Caress) or Black Ice, I think Black Ice is the winner here. Let's assume just baseline mastery (18%) and 1k damage Frostbolt:

Code: Select all

base: 1000 * (1 + 0.18) = 1180 Black Ice: 1000 * (1 + 0.18 * 1.2) = 1216 1/3 Icy Caress: 1000 * (1 + 0.18) * 1.03 = 1215.4
The value obviously goes up if you use Glacial Spike/Splitting Ice/Ice Nice/have more than baseline mastery.
Ponkster

Unread postby Ponkster Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:31 am

Very few players are doing over 300k on nyth as frost, in heroic or mythic. Even with item levels closer to 875.

Realistically your pulling 230-260k and above 300k on a pull where everything goes right with legendaries/insane gear.

this is with 3:30 fight length aswell so not 5 minutes.
nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:05 am

I did start with Black Ice as I play mostly Glacial Spike for leveling.
It's good not for the dragon trait who is deceptive for Ice Barrier trait who is god like to save you.
But I too think you can skip it for any other trait.
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?

Return to “Frost”