Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.2.5

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
House

Re: Guide to Thermally Voiding your Enemies in 7.2

Unread postby House Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:34 am

high IV uptime is important. But if you talent into splitting ice and lonely winter you don't need 100% uptime. Just keep it up as long as your procs allow you to and continue punching away as you said you're getting good numbers. If and when they change double ice lancing you'll need to learn a different play style to take advantage of your gloves and try and maintain 100% uptimes. But just play whats infront of you at the moment.
Mage

Unread postby Mage Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:44 am

Is the high IV uptime something I'm hung up on, and not really necessary?
I am double ILing.

I see Lonely Winter at the top of the talent list for just about everything once you get over the 900ish range.
OK my bad about double IL. Anyway, simmed IL uptime for me at 909 ilvl is 38% pre double IL, so don't sweat it.
All top logs will have much higher uptime, of course.
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:45 am

if you have SI and 2 targets available, IV active, then IL with FoF proc, would IV be extended twice?
Mage

Unread postby Mage Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:02 pm

Nope.
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:13 pm

So before the 7.2 trait Freezing rain, it's a dps loss to cast Blizzard on a single target. But if Frozen Orb is up and Blizzard is instant cast (minus GCD), isn't it better to cast Blizzard (only when Frozen Orb is up) to reduce the CD of the next Frozen Orb, or is it because of the low ticks on single target that still make it not worth the GCD?

If I'm new to frost and am still getting used to the rotations and playing it, should I generally take Spitting Ice over Frozen Touch or should I pick based on sims? I have the bracers and the ring, I don't double Ice Lance.
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:47 pm

So before the 7.2 trait Freezing rain, it's a dps loss to cast Blizzard on a single target. But if Frozen Orb is up and Blizzard is instant cast (minus GCD), isn't it better to cast Blizzard (only when Frozen Orb is up) to reduce the CD of the next Frozen Orb, or is it because of the low ticks on single target that still make it not worth the GCD?

If I'm new to frost and am still getting used to the rotations and playing it, should I generally take Spitting Ice over Frozen Touch or should I pick based on sims? I have the bracers and the ring, I don't double Ice Lance.
Blizzard is not worth it on single target regardless of freezing rain because frostbolt has such a high chance to generate procs(BF+FoF). Freezing rain really only slightly reduces the cast time of blizzard, since it still takes up a full global. SI>FT in almost all scenarios. the 5% icicle and IL dmg is almost as strong (and can be stronger depending on gear) as FT just by itself.
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Understood. I got around to simming them, it's 8k difference on a single target raid boss. So if there's two targets or more, I'd do 80% to the second. I'd only want FT if it's strictly ST boss fight like Krosus.

When do I want to use Artic Gale over Unstable magic? I assume for ST for Krosus it's always Unstable Magic because I won't be casting Blizzard anyway, but for other cases?

I have Whispers and Metronome which seems to be favored by the top parsers for Frost. Do I want to keep track of these using WA (or at least the metronome debuff) or just pretend it's a passive like Incanters Flow and ignore it?
Klitochris

Unread postby Klitochris Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:46 am

I have Whispers and Metronome which seems to be favored by the top parsers for Frost. Do I want to keep track of these using WA (or at least the metronome debuff) or just pretend it's a passive like Incanters Flow and ignore it?
You want to keep track of both trinkets. You can easily find WA's for them on wago.io (if you cant create them yourself). And I don't know if I missunderstood your point on IF, I hope I did - It's not supposed to be ignored. Track your stacks of IF aswell for maximum output when dumping FoF's etc.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:12 am

Most do ignore IF. And holding stacks of FOF makes it more likely you will munch them when BF procs.
Veígar

Unread postby Veígar Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:29 pm

You want to keep track of both trinkets. You can easily find WA's for them on wago.io (if you cant create them yourself). And I don't know if I missunderstood your point on IF, I hope I did - It's not supposed to be ignored. Track your stacks of IF aswell for maximum output when dumping FoF's etc.
I meant keeping track of them should be at the same level of importance as keeping track of IF. But because I'm just learning Frost, I should just ignore both for now to not negatively impact my DPS. If I were to keep track of them both, I assume all I need to worry about is using IV/throwing FoF procs without munching when IF is at or near the top, and Whispers is not on it's debuff.

Thanks for the reminder of wago.io, I forgot about it. I was looking for Frost UI stuff. I'm using TMW for my other specs, I have never used WA, but I believe TMW can't do some of the things I want it to do (like tracking the third FoF stack). So I'll need to read up on that.
qaiga

Unread postby qaiga Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:02 am

So I'm a fire mage who recently switched to frost TV (41 AP now). My legendaries, aside from the non-spec ones are for fire only (obviously). Last night, my first ever frost lego dropped (Zann'esu Journey) .

How could this help me in raids especially in NH? I'm not even sure how to use 'em, like do you wait for 5 stack before casting a blizzard? Any best combinations? Thanks for your help.

My lego's:

Shard of Exodar
Norgannon's Foresight
Sephuz's Secret
Belovir's
--
Pyrotex
DB Head
--
Zann'esu Journey
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:40 am

Shard is BIS for frost so equip that.

If you're equipping the Belt, you cast Blizzard on:
1) ST, when you have 5 stacks.
2) Whenever there is 2+ targets.
qaiga

Unread postby qaiga Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:30 am

If you're equipping the Belt, you cast Blizzard on:
1) ST, when you have 5 stacks.
Hello, thanks for your response. So it is still worth using blizzard on ST as long as there is 5 stacks in it? Is it much more better than equipping Belovir + Exodar on ST fights?
2) Whenever there is 2+ targets.
Is this with or without stack? Blizzard ain't adjusting on stacks post-cast right?

Thanks again.
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:51 am

Hello, thanks for your response. So it is still worth using blizzard on ST as long as there is 5 stacks in it? Is it much more better than equipping Belovir + Exodar on ST fights?
If you're using the Belt, then yes, use Blizzard for ST on 5 stacks.
Belo'vir does sim higher for ST compared to belt, but most fights have some adds that can leverage the belt in one form or another.
Is this with or without stack? Blizzard ain't adjusting on stacks post-cast right?
On 2+ adds, you cast Blizzard irregardless of stacks. Remember, the strength on blizzard on aoe is the Forb reduction.
Eyliria

Unread postby Eyliria Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:35 am

So this is pretty major, and makes it so we can't have super long icy veins any more.

Thermal Void redesigned: Increases Icy Veins’ duration by 10 seconds. Your Ice Lances against frozen targets extend your Icy Veins by an additional 1 second.

I wonder what kind of impact it has on overall damage, though.

Suffice to say, it looks pretty major in the wrong way. Specially since their track record of overnerfing in this expansion has been pretty bad.
Imaskar

Unread postby Imaskar Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:21 pm

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics ... ate=amount" target="_blank
switch between dataset 90 and 75. This would be the impact.
arcanwolf

Unread postby arcanwolf Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:45 pm

yeah,pretty much, i still think frost will be on a pretty good spot being that the tier bonus are really strong and i expect some nerfs to other specs. If the thermal void nerf is all that frost is getting i think its fine
Juno

Unread postby Juno Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 pm

According to Frosted's Sims, Shard it's not bis.

Gloves + Bracers should be the way to go or am i missing something ?
nirdana

Unread postby nirdana Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 pm

it always depends on fight. Sims are usually for 5 min. That means if your fight lasts only 2 minutes shard may be better, coz you have very high uptime on TW. Also with 6 minutes shard could also be better with the possibility of casting TW on the start and after five minutes (+1 from someone else)
nickseng

Unread postby nickseng Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:08 am

1. Note that those are simmed with a very specific and general profile and may not match what you have.
2. I may have been overzealous in my BIS response, but it's certainly one of the BIS combo of Shard/Bracer/Gloves
3. He only has shard :)

Return to “Frost”