Some Frost tips in Nighthold from an okay Frost Mage

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Illeriia

Re: Some Frost tips in Nighthold from an okay Frost Mage

Unread postby Illeriia Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Trust me, try and experiment with Comet storm on Skorp. I'm 890 and can break 1m dps using Comet instead.
But Primarily, BLIZZARD should be your main damage in that fight so AG is a must

Talents taken for that fight. LW - Incanters - Splitting Ice - AG - Comet Storm
I mean, this is pretty much useless pad damage. It's probably better to let any fire mages in the raid get another living bomb off or let people with better AoE handle it. Frost is great at singletarget damage and you're dropping TV or GS and thereby reducing your ST significantly, to kill adds that will pretty much die anyway while instead letting the boss live longer. If blizzard is your #1 damage ability on skorpyron then most certainly you're not doing damage to the boss itself optimally.
When you got so many adds like on scorp then id say its pretty normal to have a high blizzard damage. I mean, its not like you spam the ability, you just use it every few seconds to keep it up.
It's normal to have high blizzard damage, but honestly if its your top damaging spell on that fight there's a good chance somethings wrong there, considering how many ice lances you can push out with the constant frozen orbs.
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:27 pm

It's normal to have high blizzard damage, but honestly if its your top damaging spell on that fight there's a good chance somethings wrong there, considering how many ice lances you can push out with the constant frozen orbs.
Just providing some evidence to emphasize this point.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/nc ... &source=10" target="_blank
It would take an obscene amount of extra adds, and the majority of your group not aoeing, to make blizzard deal more damage than ice lance. (In that log, a couple extra packs were pulled. Ice lance is still 4x the damage of blizzard).
Wulftheholy

Unread postby Wulftheholy Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:58 pm

One trick that I don't see mentioned is on Gul'dan. If you get empowered fel bonds you can iceblock it and have a priest life grip you. I know this isn't a solo trick but still super useful especially if you get it right before the eyes are coming out.
dewun

Unread postby dewun Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:02 pm

.. If you get empowered fel bonds you can iceblock it and have a priest life grip you. ..
You can macro shimmer and ice block to same key and solosoak. Can prob do it without macroing but you gotta be real fast.
Krenth

Unread postby Krenth Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Is AG or UM better for HC Bot? I also have leggo belt but don't think that factors in too much.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Is AG or UM better for HC Bot? I also have leggo belt but don't think that factors in too much.
If you have the leggo belt I'd run AG for sure. The belt is helping your Blizzard and you get a lot of good blizzard things. You can blizzard 2+ targets once the next dude comes out at 60% or whatever. While waiting for that to happen to have a constant blizzard target you can drop blizzard on the person who is about to get cleansed of the fetter and get dmg on the two flowers when they come out plus you provide a helpful slow for them.
Texhex

Unread postby Texhex Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Trust me, try and experiment with Comet storm on Skorp. I'm 890 and can break 1m dps using Comet instead.
But Primarily, BLIZZARD should be your main damage in that fight so AG is a must

Talents taken for that fight. LW - Incanters - Splitting Ice - AG - Comet Storm
I mean, this is pretty much useless pad damage. It's probably better to let any fire mages in the raid get another living bomb off or let people with better AoE handle it. Frost is great at singletarget damage and you're dropping TV or GS and thereby reducing your ST significantly, to kill adds that will pretty much die anyway while instead letting the boss live longer. If blizzard is your #1 damage ability on skorpyron then most certainly you're not doing damage to the boss itself optimally.
Thats not true. actually with that many adds casting blizzard on CD gives you a ST damage increase on scorpyron. even though you "waste" casting time with blizzard it still deals damage to scorpyron; yes less as if you continue normal ST rotation, but blizzard with many adds reduces your Orb CD by alot resulting in increased orb uptime and as a result increased FoF procs resulting in increased ST damage on skorpyron. the increase in orbs and FoF procs exceed the ST dps loss from casting blizzard by alot.
jimmyo

Unread postby jimmyo Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Thats not true. actually with that many adds casting blizzard on CD gives you a ST damage increase on scorpyron. even though you "waste" casting time with blizzard it still deals damage to scorpyron; yes less as if you continue normal ST rotation, but blizzard with many adds reduces your Orb CD by alot resulting in increased orb uptime and as a result increased FoF procs resulting in increased ST damage on skorpyron. the increase in orbs and FoF procs exceed the ST dps loss from casting blizzard by alot.
Yes, this is true, and it is also why you cast Blizzard during P1 and P2 of Mythic Botanist (especially if they are stacekd on the sphere) even though the damage to the clones is not counted in logs. The reduced orb cd outweighs the blizzard cast. More Orbs = More FoF = More ST dps and higher IV Uptime.

However, the discussion about padding was referring to Comet Storm. Almost everyone agrees Blizzard is a worthwhile cast on Skorp. Comet Storm, however, is padding

Return to “Frost”