Frost Talents, Stat Weights, Racials, Trinkets, FAQ

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Ice Lancers of Azeroth.
Stressball

Re: Frost Talents, Stat Weights, Racials, Trinkets, FAQ

Unread postby Stressball Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:27 pm

I agree completely with how horrible Frost feels to play, but as you say numbers will drive player decision, not how it feels. Would have been nice not to get this huge change to the 4 piece less than a week before the patch is live.

I'm hoping once we get a really solid APL for the 4-piece and class trinket it'll feel a little better because right now the rotation is very unintuitive because of the crazy amount of procs we have and the feeling of needing 12 dedicated seconds of FB/IL spam with WJ.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:58 pm

I've re-run weapon enchants and updated the OP.

A lot of this value for warsong/thunderlord (haste/crit) probably comes from the 4pc or shatterlance in the setup.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:53 pm

With the significant improves to the Frost APL that komma has done, I've re-done all the frost sims.

tldr - shatterlance + T18 4pc WJ is really good.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:22 am

So Frost is better on single-target than Arcane is? At least at this stage, without the legendary ring?
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:20 am

So Frost is better on single-target than Arcane is? At least at this stage, without the legendary ring?
This isn't the right thread to discuss that topic, but the answer is "maybe"!
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Tuckletuts

Unread postby Tuckletuts Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:42 am

Long time reader 1st time poster:

How do the changes to the class trinket (Tome of Shifting Words) with the 33% nerf affect Frost Mages?
Is it still going to be BiS for Frost, or does one of the other trinkets push it out of the top contender spot?

With the changes, is it still beneficial to use every FoF after a Frostbolt in situations that give you a lot of FoF procs (like Frozen Orb into a pack of adds) or will it be the case where you still want to prevent yourself from capping 4 procs?
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:00 am

Nothing really changes besides frost now being weaker than arcane on single target. Once the hotfix goes live I'll update the OP. Shatterlance is still extremely strong in combination with the 4pc.
Festen

Unread postby Festen Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Excuse me, I'm probably an idiot but when you say shatterlance playstyle, is it just Frostbolt + Icelance all the time, even with procs, orb, etc?
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Excuse me, I'm probably an idiot but when you say shatterlance playstyle, is it just Frostbolt + Icelance all the time, even with procs, orb, etc?
I didn't notice this before but it says in the OP to be doing it constantly, so I assume so. I've been doing it wrong this week then.
This isn't the right thread to discuss that topic, but the answer is "maybe"!
Oops :P
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:03 pm

No. The frost guide covers it.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:05 pm

I didn't notice this before but it says in the OP to be doing it constantly, so I assume so. I've been doing it wrong this week then.
Good catch, fixed for clarity. Now reads you want to weave frostbolt/FoF-Ice lance.
Rueko

Unread postby Rueko Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:01 pm

For clarity sake, could you mention that you ONLY want to be doing frostbolt/ice lance weaving when you have FoF procs. Currently, it does not say that frostbolt/ice lance weaving without FoF is in fact a DPS loss.
Seatoo

Unread postby Seatoo Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:04 am

I'm sorry if I missed this - I swear I looked before asking! :oops:

Are the stat weights the same for frost as before? ms > crit > haste > mastery = versatility and it changes when you get 4 pc T18?

edit: yes I do play with simcraft but things dont feel right when I look at the results
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:55 am

You cant have looked to hard. They are the 2nd graph on the original post.
Seatoo

Unread postby Seatoo Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:01 pm

You cant have looked to hard. They are the 2nd graph on the original post.

When it said T18, I assumed it meant once you have 4 pc T18

Whoops :oops: :oops: :oops:
Stressball

Unread postby Stressball Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Those sims are run with BiS profiles for the given difficulty, so yes it uses 4T18, but that doesn't necessarily mean the stat weights are significantly different.

If you want to know your stat weights for your current setup you need to sim it yourself.
Glaciation

Unread postby Glaciation Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Hello everyone, I'm trying to understand something odd I'm seeing when simming my 697 frost mage, when I run single-target sims, it tells me that mastery is my best stat by a significant margin, which conflicts with all advice I've read on the subject, was hoping someone could shed some insight onto what might be happening here to cause my stat weights to diverge like this.

Here's a pastebin of my simC profile I ran: http://pastebin.com/dNBe36sP" target="_blank

I ran the sim with a 450s fight duration, patchwerk style fight, elite, 50,000 iterations, and single-target.

I know that stat weights will fluctuate generally speaking depending on exact iLvl, set bonuses, talent choices, etc, but I'm curious if anyone has any insight into what specifically might be going on here, and whether it might be worth me investing effort into regemming/enchanting to take advantage of these stat weights as I gear up, or whether I should just stick with the recommended MS emphasis as I have been doing.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide!
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:51 pm

I’m not sure what version of SimC you’re running it on, and I didn’t use your profile, I just imported your character from the armory. I ran it on the latest nightly build (620-02) and came up with MS as your best stat. 450s patchwerk fight, but only 10k iterations in the interest of time.

Glaciation

Unread postby Glaciation Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:04 pm

I was running it on 620-02 as well, so that I could mess around with the felmouth frenzy, which is when I ran into the weird stat weights. I also downloaded and ran it on 620-01 and got the same results though, so I don't think the SimC build number is the source of the differences. (I've tried running it with normal food and with the felmouth and that didn't affect the stat weights I was seeing much, though the felmouth was definitely a consistent ~300 dps gain for me over 125 MS food).

I'm running it again with 100,000 iterations at the moment, I'll post some screencaps of the relevant data when it completes.
Glaciation

Unread postby Glaciation Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Here's the simC results with 100k iterations that I said I'd post, you can see mastery taking a lead here, with MS/Haste a bit behind and crit/vers falling way behind.
glacSimJuly1-1.jpg
SimC Output w/ 100k iterations Scale/Results
glacSimJuly1-2.png
Abilities
glacSimJuly1-3.png
Buffs/Uptime

Return to “Frost”