Combustion Technique - Tick compression

Guides and discussions of all things specific to the Pyromaniacs of Azeroth.
Komma
Administrator

Combustion Technique - Tick compression

Unread postby Komma Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:38 am

Greetings, friends. Last night on beta we noticed an "unintended consequence" with ignite spreading. By utilizing 2 targets, we've noticed that ignite ticks can be artificially inflated by intentionally spreading ignites with a single tick left, onto targets with a sizable ignite bank. Here's the thread for details of how we did it on beta: http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=446" target="_blank

Why is this in our regular fire forums, you ask? We've just confirmed that this can also be done on live servers. In testing, Dutchmagoz was able to create 983K Combustion Crit ticks on a target dummy, despite missing some raid buffs.

Without Prismatic Crystal, we can currently only do this on multitarget boss fights. The current idea would be to do the following:
1. Regular rotation up until HU+Pyro proc. You will probably need Time Warp/Heroism/Bloodlust for 1s GCD.
2. POM AT Macro
3. Unload all Pyro procs onto main target.
4. Unload POM Pyro onto secondary target.
5. Reactivate AT.
6. Unload 3 Pyros onto main target to maximize ignite. Hopefully you have the crit for this!
7. Cleave from secondary target - if you have a 1 second GCD, this should be exactly correct after the previous 3 Pyroblasts.
8. Immediately cast Combustion on main target.
9. Congrats on your titantic Combustion.

I would like to invite all Fire mages to try this with the upcoming raid resets. Prime candidates would be TFP and Dark Shamans. Please share your results in this thread - whether it's a video or a log, all results are welcome.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Re: Combustion Technique - Tick compression

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:21 am

Best so far (ON DUMMIES...): 00:00:32.950 Dutchmagoz Combustion Raider's Training Dummy 1 *846499*

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/8T4 ... iew=events" target="_blank

EDIT: Almost a million now: 00:00:17.001 Dutchmagoz Combustion Raider's Training Dummy 1 *983863*

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kbd ... iew=events" target="_blank

Keep in mind, there was no tricks of the trade usage in this log, nor magic dmg amp from warlocks/rogues, and missing raid buffs. I can see getting 3million ignite / 2million combustion crits to be quite possible. Hard to pull off though, timing is extremely crucial.

Also, my mastery at the time of the log was only 10.5k.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
Sky

Unread postby Sky Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:48 am

Any chance you could upload a video of this in action? :D Would much appreciate it. <3
Skye | Entropy US-Frostmourne US 2nd | 7/7M Highmaul 10/10M BRF | Twitch
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:50 am

Any chance you could upload a video of this in action? :D Would much appreciate it. <3
I'd probably make one if I didn't have a 80% failure rate while practising and trying to make this work. :oops: I really suck at ignite timing.
Admin of Altered Time.

Sky

Unread postby Sky Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:58 am

I'd probably make one if I didn't have a 80% failure rate while practising and trying to make this work. :oops: I really suck at ignite timing.
>_<
I posted this question on MMO-C, but figure might as well post it here too:
I know it says that you unload 3 pyros after exiting AT onto your main target to maximise ignite - but if I'm running with latency to play it safe would it work if I just used 2 pyros and then did the IB cleave from secondary target?
I know the ignite wouldn't be as large, but could this potentially work for a larger-than-normal ignite?
Skye | Entropy US-Frostmourne US 2nd | 7/7M Highmaul 10/10M BRF | Twitch
Blugatti

Unread postby Blugatti Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:48 am

I am cringing at how hard this sounds. halp.
http://www.proraiders.com/player/index. ... r=Blugatti" target="_blank
#1 WCL Fire mage EU/US. hey ps3 fart, hey xbox360 yah
Komma
Administrator

Re: [Fire] Utilizing PC + Ignites for Massive Combustions (B

Unread postby Komma Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:26 am

Vykina actually made a pretty good video demonstrating how this looks.

http://youtu.be/zbkBh9RXSdw" target="_blank

There are several things I'm not sure about - Considering how POM Pyro can potentially generate another Pyro proc, should we really be immediately reactivating Alter Time after the first POM Pyro? Can we utilize travel time to fit more than 3 Pyros after the 1 that hits the secondary target? There is much to investigate here, I think.
Admin of Altered Time.

Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Interesting video.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

I solve problems. Have a problem? Send me a PM!
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:51 pm

>_<
I posted this question on MMO-C, but figure might as well post it here too:
I know it says that you unload 3 pyros after exiting AT onto your main target to maximise ignite - but if I'm running with latency to play it safe would it work if I just used 2 pyros and then did the IB cleave from secondary target?
I know the ignite wouldn't be as large, but could this potentially work for a larger-than-normal ignite?

Even only 2 pyros will yield results higher than the normal way.
Owner of Altered Time.

Garrod

Unread postby Garrod Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Gonna practice this on the dummies tonight.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... d/advanced Fire for Mythic Raiding
<Side Project> 7/7 Mythic Highmaul 5/10 Mythic Blackrock Foundry
Maliffic

Unread postby Maliffic Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Works fine on live wish I knew last night for main raid, works on the second combustion without AT as well wonder if it will last till next wednesday.
Maliffic

Unread postby Maliffic Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Just use focus cast macros for IB and even pyro if you wanted to , Komma has put the macros in the WoD beta fire thread all ready they help alot, so for protectors /focus Sun unload on Rook/He then drop 1 PoM pyro into sun switch back to Rook/He dump the last 3 Focus Cast IB cast Combustion and watch Affli locks cry for once I'm sure :D.

Also this will work on other bosses to if you plan ahead like on garrosh adds/weapon to dump the PoM pyro, Paragons will work to. malkarok if you get a DK to quickly grab an add and you are super fast I guess to.
Trustbucket

Unread postby Trustbucket Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:28 pm

Trick isn't that hard to pull off at all really, I have tested it numerous times and haven't missed it yet. I didn't realize why this yielded such high numbers until I tried it myself. Basically what its doing is using the ignite with 1 tick left as a template and adding all of the damage of the primary target but just for the one tick, making that ignite a huge number. Can't wait to try this out in my main raid for something new to do. That is correct, right?
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Trick isn't that hard to pull off at all really, I have tested it numerous times and haven't missed it yet. I didn't realize why this yielded such high numbers until I tried it myself. Basically what its doing is using the ignite with 1 tick left as a template and adding all of the damage of the primary target but just for the one tick, making that ignite a huge number. Can't wait to try this out in my main raid for something new to do. That is correct, right?
That is indeed correct.

Looks like some Chinese mage has pulled this trick off on 25H Dark Shamans. It's the new #2 parse, at 1.23M DPS over 2:16. The rank 1 parse is 1.25M, isn't using this trick, but has a 1:34 kill time with 6 affliction locks.

Log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/yril ... 765&e=7901" target="_blank
1.88M ignite.

Code: Select all

[21:24:10.415] 绘世之梦丶 点燃 缚潮者卡德里斯 1883968
952K combustion, spread to 4 targets.

Code: Select all

[21:24:12.276] 绘世之梦丶 燃烧 碎地者哈洛姆 *951569*
All this provides for a 6.5M DPS opener burst.

We should be seeing more of these very soon.
Admin of Altered Time.

Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 pm

This is true, though it feels like, for whatever reason, the later you delay spreading off 2nd target, the higher the ignite, even within the 2 second tick window, which isn't what should happen I feel.
Owner of Altered Time.

Allysonna

Unread postby Allysonna Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:33 pm

This all sounds good; however, according to Blue Tracker, Presence of Mind will become baseline for Arcane mages only. How will that change affect this rotation? Come to think of it, how will that change affect our entire spec's rotation?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/134234 ... -2014#mage
Last edited by Allysonna on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 pm

This all sounds good; however, according to Blue Tracker, Presence of Mind will become baseline for Arcane mages only. How will that change affect this rotation?

They will be fixing this in one way or another in 6.0 anyway. It was initially discovered in beta-testing and Celestalon has already said they will be fixing it. Its just unlikely to be fixed prior to 6.0.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:56 pm

This all sounds good; however, according to Blue Tracker, Presence of Mind will become baseline for Arcane mages only. How will that change affect this rotation? Come to think of it, how will that change affect our entire spec's rotation?

Will be fixed in 6.0 anyway, so doesn't matter.
Owner of Altered Time.

Azo

Unread postby Azo Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:04 am

I'm not sure I understand how it work.

Ignite on target A ticks 400K, 400K ticking two times is 800K damage. Target B has ignite ticking 200K with 1 tick left. When I spread ignite from target B to target A the ignite on target A is compromised into 1 tick which is 800K, to that add the ignite from target B. I get an ignite ticking 1M, but only 1 tick on target A.

Target A might be Earthbraker Haromm and taret B might be Wavebinder Kadris.

I'm not making a statement, just wonder if I understand.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:32 am

I'm not sure I understand how it work.

Ignite on target A ticks 400K, 400K ticking two times is 800K damage. Target B has ignite ticking 200K with 1 tick left. When I spread ignite from target B to target A the ignite on target A is compromised into 1 tick which is 800K, to that add the ignite from target B. I get an ignite ticking 1M, but only 1 tick on target A.

Target A might be Earthbraker Haromm and taret B might be Wavebinder Kadris.

I'm not making a statement, just wonder if I understand.
That is mostly correct with 1 exception: the spread from B to A will not add the 200K to A. It will be a single tick for 800K.

The issue is that with how ignite works right now, A is usually "400K ticking 3 times for 1200K". Going from 400K to 1200K is where it gets really scary.
Admin of Altered Time.

Return to “Fire”